Visually Challenged in the Oil Update

I'm not visually impaired, but lets say challenged... 

While trying the experimental build of the oil update I've found it almost impossible to tell what gases are from a glance any more.  Probably a modification to the values for the filters and shaders.  This repeatedly forces me to pause and lookup what the gas is, especially when trying to figure out concentrations of oxygen. 

It would be extremely helpful if there was either 

• A Gas view overlay 
  • A slider in the options allowing you select the weight of the gas colouration effect

Love game, keep it up!

From what I understand, due to the introduction of high pressure vents, the gradient scaling now range from 0 to 20000g of gas. Thus it takes a **** ton of gas to make gas overlay color as saturated as before.

A solution is to use logarithmic gradient scaling instead of linear one. For example, 1000g of oxygen should be 75% saturation using logarithmic compared to 5% saturation using linear.

Why? Because the difference between 100g and 1000g is critical. Dupes can't breathe in 100g oxygen environment. It's a matter of existence. But the difference between 1000g and 15000g is less important because you already know the area contains high concentration of certain gas. It's just a matter of how high.

If performance becomes an issue, a lookup table can be used in place of actual logarithmic computation. There's no good reason at all to use linear scaling.

Archived