My mod's art (and progression)

Parusoid

I tried to mimic game's grapic style. As you can see thers a lot to work on still. Any tips how can I improve styling, shaping, coloring, shading, lightning in order to make it look more like dont strave style? It is supposed to be carnivorous plant that can be domesticated by player.

Spoiler

preview1.png

Changes after reading comments: 

Spoiler

59c698314223e_rosiczka4szkic.thumb.png.f4cace767e328e1e5e0a1335fe109a44.pngsizecomp.thumb.png.8d4d21fb327a047e56f0c1ff41a45b94.png

Another change:

Spoiler

sizecomp2.thumb.png.7626dc07abedd45efc1766f07b144aaa.png

Another:

Spoiler

sizecomp3.thumb.png.42f527b23c2a3232a9966cb600a9b858.png

Idle animation preview

Spoiler

2.gif.86730c5c3762a69ebb998af0cf5eb485.gif

First failed attempt of implementing animation into the game:

Spoiler

59d2100747f6b_Obraz252.thumb.png.902a114c84bf21e003161bc7cf56df34.png

Got the size right now:

Spoiler

59d3c97547f26_Obraz253.thumb.png.5b2e2aae162b2746f1907cc44c430a76.png

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 3

I recommend directly color picking from Don't Starve's high-res .tex files. (Here's the program to open them called: TEXTool. In case you don't have it yet). That way, it'll look more fitting in the don't starve world if the colors match up with the natural colors of the game. Aside from that, maybe add a side-by-side image with Wilson to show how large/small this carnivorous plant actually is so people can give more worthwhile suggestions. Lastly, if you're open to changing up the overall look for this plant, I suggest that you emphasize on the plant's main characteristic that makes it unique from other plants/creatures. One way to do this is to make sure that it's mouth/headpiece is the first thing the player will notice. Make that part of it large... maybe even large enough to possible trap Wilson? Decision is up to you. Basically don't get too distracted with decorating around the plant/creature, but work on making that mouth thing be the star.

Seeing this for the first time, should subconsciously cause the player to think... this is dangerous.

I hope that helps, cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zillvr said:

make sure that it's mouth/headpiece is the first thing the player will notice

I am still considering chanigng mouth completly. I used reference pictures of Hounds, Krampus, Klaus beacuse their jaws have this sinister look. But those three has too much "teeth" as in jagged edges and I am having troubles balancing beetwen hostile and friendly look, it is hard to find middle ground.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Getting better. Make the lines sharper and thicker. The shading is pretty good.

Sharper as in more angular, or sharper as in stroke should more 'jagged' like (in addtiion to being thicker) ?

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 1

Both, it depends on the location. If you study the plant designs in the Hamlet trailer, their leaves are jagged, but the stem should be angular like Wilson's hair. IT's a balance of curves and angles but it's completely subjective. You have a good concept here and I'm looking forward to it's completion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

Have you considered looking into how eye plants attack? Maybe that will inspire you to look to a different direction, design wise.

And whoa, it's tall! 

If you mean eyeplant as the little eyes that spawns around Meat Bulb (lureplant) then no, since It will work more like flytrap. It will wait for a pray to land in its opened mouth. Thats the idea, maybe it will change during the procces. The image you see is for its "idle, unarmed" state, but there are few other states representing differnet positions and behaviour.

If you are referring to the Meat Bulb (lurreplant) itself then yes, i looked into it but art-wise, not attack-wise.

Yeah it is tall!

• Like 2

Yep, the little eyes that spawns around the meat bulb/lureplant. Since you were undecided on how the actual mouth piece would look (jagged/smooth/etc), I was hoping the eye plant could help you with the design choices. Although you've already looked into that then I guess I'm out of ideas at the moment. If I can think of anything worthwhile to share I'll let you know. I do like how the mouth looks compared to before (just didn't realized sooner how different it looks now).

Cheers.

• Like 2

So i made another changes: made the stone base smaller, so it is not drawing attention to itself and made the stem a little bit more angular. Coloring isnt final and shading is kinda missing, im just tryin to find what color scheme fits the best so it is subject to change. Here you can see how it would look like ingame. What else can be improved here?

Spoiler

sizecomp2.thumb.png.0980291f9329001bbb30f95174d2de1b.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

I actually picked colors form the Meat Bulb (Lureplant)

Make sure to change the purple's contrast both lighter and darker to add a shade, as well as add somewhat separate lines to one side of the plant to represent "shadow", as that's where you should put the darker contrast purple.

• Like 1

What kind of texturing you guys have in mind? Is it only the scratchy lines that should represent shadow or something else like pattern, spots, checked, stripped? The mouthpiece is large and it seems empty and plain, so I plan to add some elements but I want to avoid adding teeth, horns... I'm out of ideas 

36 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

What kind of texturing you guys have in mind? Is it only the scratchy lines that should represent shadow or something else like pattern, spots, checked, stripped? The mouthpiece is large and it seems empty and plain, so I plan to add some elements but I want to avoid adding teeth, horns... I'm out of ideas 

I want to suggest to scribble with the mouth, though I'm not sure how would that look. I guess you can make another layer and try different line textures and see which one you like the most.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, minespatch said:

GREAT!57d631bacce57_arielthumbsup.png.71aea6b049b4193f7eb8af3c03e91415.png

Curious about those chin lines. Gives the creature character but would like to know why you added them.

Well I was experimenting with giving it a plant/animal characteristics. "Tiger" stripes seemed to be one of the solutions. In nature carnivorous plants have "veiny" pattern but it is rather complicated to replicate and does not really fit in the simple, sketchy style of Don't Starve.

Tigerveiny

Also the pattern on the top of the head is also supposed to be tiger pattern, not shadow

Edited by Parusoid
  • Thanks 1