[Updated] Oil Upgrade Preview Now Available!

12 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Slicksters works like pufts but they suck in CO2 and excude Crude Oil, they look like ghostly, fragile muks (pokemons)

They remind me more of the slime (monster) from various JRPG... :p

I'm just glad they now manage to give CO2 a use (an OP one at that).

----------------

Some quick thoughts:

1. The beta build at this time doesn't seem to like me a whole lot as it freezes quite often when I try to do stuff in debug mode.

2. World Gen Seeds now spawns different maps than before (will, duh), so I guess we'll need to start hunting for good seeds.

3. They changed the default temp of Geysers to 99C.  Now it's really easy to use debug tool to locate them (lol)

4. Debug tool got a major boost with the extremely powerful selection info panel.  It's now 10k times easier to do tests and calculations. w00t!

5. Crude Oil is OP like crazy.  There's literally nothing better to use in an Aquatuner than this now.  Yes, it's gotten a nerf in its specific heat, so PH2O is still better for the temperature range of its liquid state.  But the fact that it can reach 0K and have a higher specific heat than liquid oxygen makes it an insane liquid for Aquatuner.  I'd be making solid oxygens and hydrogens if it weren't for the game freezes if I play around too much with debug mode.  (So much so that I'd be surprised if they don't nerf it again by adding a solid state).

So, first impressions.

Rooms are perfect. Absolutely perfect.
Sink is perfect, though you can't really mess that one up.
The suits, while functional perfect, have a few bugs that need addressed.
Oil is so overcomplicated that I don't see anybody wanting to use it.
Why does the Well Cap take 5 kg/s of water when you can only renew around 8 kg/s of water on a single map?
The new heavy watt tile is not needed at all since heavy watt wire isn't needed at all.
I was gonna test the animal trap but it seems to have disappeared along with the trapped animals, plural.

Just now, WanderingKid said:

I don't have the download, but I tend to use Heavi-watt a lot simply out of convenience.  Is oil piping to unique places better than a central electric system now?

You can tap a core small wire from transformers to make low watt branches while the core wire sees nothing wrong.

Just now, Risu said:

You can tap a core small wire from transformers to make low watt branches while the core wire sees nothing wrong.

Aquatuner needs 1.2kw by itself, more than a transformer.  Running some heavi-watt through an intersection usually forces you to leave a CO2/O2 hole in your base unless you're using the airlock door glitch or a lot of wire bridges, which isn't always great. 

Guess I need to download this to see the specs/point of the Heavi-Watt Bridge.

16 minutes ago, Risu said:

The new heavy watt tile is not needed at all since heavy watt wire isn't needed at all.

It's need to connect a transformer to an aquatuner but other than that I agree it's a massive flaw in the current electrical system that heavi-watt wires really are almost useless.

• Developer
26 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

2. World Gen Seeds now spawns different maps than before (will, duh), so I guess we'll need to start hunting for good seeds.

I just discovered the seed option in the custom game menu isn't working correctly, so hold off your hunt or use the button still in the options menu until the next hotfix. Eep!

2 minutes ago, Risu said:

Can still have the transformer in the same room as the aquatuner, making the bridge useless.

Depends entirely on what you want to build but in most cases you want to exploit the heat given up by the aquatuner as well as the cooling power otherwise you're just wasting power, and that requires builds where you can't have the transformer in the same room as the aquatuner. There's not many practical builds, that are also just slightly efficient where that would be possible.

Some first impressions on the oil: basically it's indeed quite complicated to get it. You need a well cap, which uses in my opinion way too much water. From there you need a liquid pump to an oil refinery and then linked to a Polymer Press. That alone requires 1680W if we assume no additional pump is needed for the well cap. You can however run one single natural gas generator off the oil refinery provided you install a pump. You can synergize this with either a gas geyser or fertilizer makers, so it's not necessarily an extra power cost. Once enough plastic has been made, you can finally build a petroleum generator (yes, it requires both plastic and metal to build), which will generator you 2KW.

I don't know for now how much the oil wells generate oil. If it does at 10kg/s, you can feed 3 petroleum generators with 2 oil refineries, which will make this a great deal at a total amount of 7.6KW produced at the expense of 2.160KW. That is assuming a 10kg/s constant flow of oil. I'll have to test that.

Note that petroleum generators expel 500g/s of C02, however it works like coal generators meaning it will not block production at high pressure.

56 minutes ago, Risu said:

One of us is doing something wrong then.  I'm not ruling out the possibility that it's me, but I don't see anyway to run an Aquatuner without Heavy Watt Wire.

6 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Oil upgrade is a complete disaster. Random bugs and game crashes to desktop without warning. Debug mode doesn't work at all. This needs to be fixed asap.

I hope you noticed this is essentially an early beta and that the developers warned you that bugs were likely to occur. You essentially marked your game for the update preview, so you are neither in your right now to complain. A little bit more grattitude would be appreciated as the developers will fix the issues in a short time frame. So support the developers and report any bugs you come across; it's what you signed up for.

Just now, turbonl64 said:

I hope you noticed this is essentially an early beta and that the developers warned you that bugs were likely to occur. A little bit more grattitude would be appreciated as the developers will fix the issues in a short time frame.

I pay for an early access game, do playtesting for free, and have to show gratitude? What planet are you from?

Just now, Saturnus said:

I pay for an early access game, do playtesting for free, and have to show gratitude? What planet are you from?

Yes you have to. You are currently not playing the early acess game, but a beta you specifically have to sign up for in the steam library. The bugs you are currently having are a consequence of that action. Eiither you swallow it and take the bugs with you, or you roll back to the none preview branch which is the Early Access.

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Oil upgrade is a complete disaster. Random bugs and game crashes to desktop without warning. Debug mode doesn't work at all. This needs to be fixed asap.

Now you know the life we had in the closed testing group... and what we spared you by helping to kill these kinds of bugs prior to general release.

Archived