Get rid of underwater pathing limit

Dupes happily dive into 50 tiles deep CO2 pits, but going through a 10 tile long pwater+water corridor is haram. Except if the dupe moves halfway to do one thing, then halfway again to do something else (for example, pick a rock 7 tiles in, then pick a second rock 10 tiles in). Or if you issue a "move to" twice.

If water avoidance is desired, pathfinding should just penalize all paths that include water (unless the dupe is already wet). Extra pathfinding cost is a good way to discourage behaviors like that, strict "no because no (except when yes)" is not.

Pressure reason i guess, since human cant just dive or their brain explode

But 10 tiles deep seem too short for that reason, well dupe can dive magma 1500c , or walking on -200c room 

My guess its to avoid dupe randomly died inside water tank when they out of breath, easy way is limit 10 tiles, so the slowest dupe dont die when people assign job under water

I am all for removing the limit on number of underwater steps taken and for introducing hefty speed reduction when underwater (with the reduction proportional to amount of liquid in the tile).

And of course the pathfinder should take time needed to do each step into account, so it would naturally prefer dry land paths over underwater. Duplicants should prefer dry paths anyway, avoiding wet feet/drenched status.

There is a movement buff for underwater travel, so I agree that a dupe should be able to go whatever distance at reduced speed unless they have the amphibious buff where the move at normal speed. Also I don't think pressure is much of a reason, Humans can dive pretty deep unaided, plus he other issue is a dupe will not walk in water 2 tiles high but 10 tiles wide. so another pain in the butt issue XD

Archived