Pumps create steam from nothing

Right, so while doing something else I noticed that my pumps in polluted water started generating steam in huge amounts at 120C. Well below the temperature polluted water boils at normally.

So I mashed this test together. First thing is to make sure you build from 3 tiles thick walls as there's massive cavitation going on and even 2 tiles high water will disintegrate walls in no time. Then make sure the chambers are filled with a vacuum. Next fill 4 tiles with 800kg of 120C polluted water and start the pump.

After 320 seconds that 3200kg of polluted water have turned into 3198.5kg of polluted water, 3198.5kg of steam, and 1229g of polluted oxygen. Note there's no dirt generated.

2017-09-18.png

51 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Right, so while doing something else I noticed that my pumps in polluted water started generating steam in huge amounts at 120C. Well below the temperature polluted water boils at normally.

So I mashed this test together. First thing is to make sure you build from 3 tiles thick walls as there's massive cavitation going on and even 2 tiles high water will disintegrate walls in no time. Then make sure the chambers are filled with a vacuum. Next fill 4 tiles with 800kg of 120C polluted water and start the pump.

After 320 seconds that 3200kg of polluted water have turned into 3198.5kg of polluted water, 3198.5kg of steam, and 1229g of polluted oxygen. Note there's no dirt generated.

2017-09-18.png

This is very odd... I did exactly as you described - and as soon as I connected power to the pump, this happened...

image.thumb.png.c45754238c904db50a2feca3439b9970.png

Is it not the additional heat generated by the pump causing the polluted water to temporarily spike and turn to steam?

Obviously there can't be any polluted oxygen emitted whilst the room is a vacuum, but the immediate steam was a surprise...

However 1 second later...

image.thumb.png.e057e5c9a36c6f46aed6def73e39c9f8.png

I think it's being boiled by the pump itself.

Just ran for another 10 seconds - set up a filter to collect any pure water and steam levels are rising...

image.thumb.png.8917f22bbb7902aee2a9311ad65c1aa4.png

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Except the pump stays at 120C the whole time. And you didn't notice that 3200kg PW turned into basically 3200kg PW and 3200kg steam. It creates the steam from nothing. 

Hadn't finished running it yet - tried to spawn in some liquid o2 to cool my filter and my game crashed to desktop :D 

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I thought polluted oxygen only appears in the presence of oxygen and polluted water?

Nah. Any gas, like steam, will do. It starts making a small amount of polluted oxygen when the steam appears. We are talking tiny amounts of polluted oxygen here though. Less than 0.03%. That's not the interesting part.

14 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Except the pump stays at 120C the whole time. And you didn't notice that 3200kg PW turned into basically 3200kg PW and 3200kg steam. It creates the steam from nothing. 

Just finished my test and I lost the polluted water....

image.thumb.png.9c3d09de006fdcba7b0d5b76651fe275.png

2 tiles of 800kg water, plus 3040.3g and 3066.6g tiles = 1606.107kg

5 tiles of 319.2kg of steam = 1596kg

and 1364.8g of polluted o2 

--------------

Total = 3203.472kg 

The valve in the original test was to see if the steam creation followed flow rate. And it does. Whatever you set the valve to is how much steam is created by the pump.

Remember. It doesn't boil the polluted water. It simply pumps out the polluted and creates the same volume of steam in the process. So 1kg of PW turns into 1kg PW + 1kg steam.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

The valve in the original test was to so if the steam creation followed flow rate. And it does. Whatever you set the valve to is how much steam is created by the pump.

Remember. It doesn't boil the polluted water. It simply pumps out the polluted and creates the same volume of steam in the process. So 1kg of PW turns into 1kg PW + 1kg steam.

But it simply boiled half my water - it didn't gain anything in my test, maybe because I used a water filter I didnt get the same results as you?

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Just finished my test and I lost the polluted water....

You didn't do exactly as I said though.

I specifically said to paint in 4 tiles, each with 800kg PW. If you fill it up, you will lose some of the PW. If you only paint in 4 tiles. You can run this system between two tanks for an eternity, creating steam at 20kg/s (10kg/s per pump) but not losing any polluted water.

Just now, Saturnus said:

You didn't do exactly as I said though.

I specifically said to paint in 4 tiles, each with 800kg PW. If you fill it up, you will lose some of the PW. If you only paint in 4 tiles. You can run this system between two tanks for an eternity, creating steam at 20kg/s (10kg/s per pump) but not losing any polluted water.

I did do exactly as you said - I painted in 4 tiles of 800kg 393.15k water on top of my pump.

I did another run and stitched a screenshot together so you can see all the outcomes.

Again. I painted in 4 tiles 800kg PW at 393.15K on top of the pump. Note, that it has to be a vacuum first.

That's 3200kg PW coming into the system.

Result is 6 tiles of steam at 533.3kg which equal ~3200kg
And you can see the output water on the right also equal ~3200kg

2017-09-18 (1).png

21 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Maybe it's the filter or the missing valve. I don't know. I tested it 6 times, and got the same result each time.

I've tried this a few times now - seems to only happen if your test is set up just right. I ended up with steam in both chambers one try, steam in main chamber the next, no steam the trial after. Both rooms are vacuums as stated clearly above.

Load the save and, turn the switch and unpause. It's to the south of the base.

---------

edit*

Entirely my mistake - found some obsidian tiles -.-

Debug Test thing.sav

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I've tried this a few times now - seems to only happen if your test is set up just right. I ended up with steam in both chambers one try, steam in main chamber the next, no steam the trial after. Both rooms are vacuums as stated clearly above.

Load the save and, turn the switch and unpause. It's to the south of the base.

Debug Test thing.sav

All abyssalite, all vacuums, correct water temp, meh.

My save for reference

Heureka.sav

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Nope. All tiles are obsidian. That's your problem. It only creates steam the first few seconds.

Nope, like 11 tiles were obsidian :D It's the ****** default material in debug for me for some reason...

Running again now :p 

*edit* Ran it like 5 times now, can't seem to get the doubling effect that you're finding...

Ok, maybe i'm missing something - but every time I've ran this - I get the same results... Yes it boils off some water but I don't get the doubling effect.

Last test was :

Polluted Water - 1600kg + 4549.7g + 4511g = 1609kg

Steam - 320.8kg x 5 = 1604kg

Polluted Oxygen = 917.4g

Blergh - save enclosed. I haven't tried with insulated tiles, but I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference ?

Debug Test thing.sav

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I ran your save after replacing the inner tiles with abyssalite. Same result as my other results above.

At this point we should probably investigate if we run the same version. I'm running OU-232512

2017-09-18 (4).png

Plot thickens - I just ran it with insulated tiles and still didn't get these results....

Have you messed with your client at all? Or can anybody else weigh in here as a 3rd party ?

And yes sorry, i'm on 232512

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Plot thickens - I just ran it with insulated tiles and still didn't get these results....

Have you messed with your client at all? Or can anybody else weigh in here as a 3rd party ?

I have uninstalled the colour injector so it's completely vanilla.

I'd also like to get another one to confirm either result because this is getting strange.

However, part one you also get in your results, and that is that the pump generates steam at a temperature it shouldn't do, and without any dirt sideeffect which would normally come at this rate of steam generation. Part two is that in my results it generates steam without consuming polluted water at all.

Can we get someone to test these please?

Archived