Tar, not that useful.

Ajosen

I love the idea of tar and I'm so happy it was added to the game. But aside some key craftables, tar is kind of meh. I'm referring mostly to the tar suit and tar lamp. The tar lamp in my opinion should be an alternative to the boat lantern,  (which relies on fire flies and if you don't count the slot machine, are non renewable) but instead it runs out very quickly. The tar suit I don't see being that useful as it is. The blubber suit is better and I rarely use that. 

And this may be changed but I thought tar would have more fuel and light related used. Like a lighthouse powered by tar oil. Or a motor that runs on tar. 

Fireflies aren't renewable, but boat lanterns certainly are, by giving surf & turf to the yaarctopus. Tar is a good fuel and an ingredient you need to make several great new sea-going items. It seems like a good alternative to logs for a character who wants to live almost entirely on the water, like Woodlegs, or whose base is flooded. The trap uses are intriguing too. What's more perplexing to me is why there isn't the equivalent of a crockpot for seabases, or a floating icebox.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Fireflies aren't renewable, but boat lanterns certainly are, by giving surf & turf to the yaarctopus. Tar is a good fuel and an ingredient you need to make several great new sea-going items. It seems like a good alternative to logs for a character who wants to live almost entirely on the water, like Woodlegs, or whose base is flooded. The trap uses are intriguing too. What's more perplexing to me is why there isn't the equivalent of a crockpot for seabases, or a floating icebox.

I know about the yarcopapus . However the radius of light from of the boat lantern decreases as its durability decreases. So whilst they are renewable they cannot be refuelled renewably and still you can only trade for one item a day. So it's not very efficient. That's why I would have thought the tar lamp or oil lamp would have been a replacement for this as it could be refuels with tar. But instead the tar lantern has the small light radius of a boat torch and runs out very fast. I'd prefer it to be a stronger light source. 

6 hours ago, Atsumame said:

The tar suit is actually very useful for WX. This is because the tar suit provide 100% wetness resistance but does not provide any lightning protection.

This allow you to overcharge easily in hurricane season with ease.

I just checked the wiki. And I don't know if this is an error but it says "protects against wetness and lightning" It also only lasts for one day however. As opposed to 8 days for the blubber suit. 

24 minutes ago, grekon said:

Is there any method to finding tar? I found like 6 islands already but haven,t found tar yet.

It's in the ocean. There are tar slicks on the water that you can set tar extractors up on. These will produce tar. I think you can make a tar extractor anywhere on the ocean however and it will produce tar. However it's more efficient on the tar slicks 

6 hours ago, Ajosen said:

It's in the ocean. There are tar slicks on the water that you can set tar extractors up on. These will produce tar. I think you can make a tar extractor anywhere on the ocean however and it will produce tar. However it's more efficient on the tar slicks 

Tar extractor can be placed only on the tar slink. however i haven't been able to find the tar slink yet. I looked over 3 patches of the deepest water. maybe my map got bugged and didn't spawn one? How many did you find?

5 hours ago, grekon said:

Tar extractor can be placed only on the tar slink. however i haven't been able to find the tar slink yet. I looked over 3 patches of the deepest water. maybe my map got bugged and didn't spawn one? How many did you find?

Natural tar slicks are actually a rarity, around 4 or 5 only on the whole map.

On 18/9/2017 at 5:47 AM, Rellimarual said:

I believe that with the rainbow jellyfish you can recharge the lantern and boat lantern

On 18.09.2017 at 7:39 AM, Atsumame said:

The tar suit is actually very useful for WX. This is because the tar suit provide 100% wetness resistance but does not provide any lightning protection.

This allow you to overcharge easily in hurricane season with ease.

Blubber suit doesn't provide lighting insulation either. It's way better pick due to 8 times longer durablity.

9 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Also nonrenewable. Plentiful, but still nonrenewable. Unless the beta added something I'm unaware of and made it renewable. (I honestly thought that was the purpose of the rainbow jellyfish)

On 9/18/2017 at 11:47 AM, Rellimarual said:

Fireflies ARE renewable to my knowledge, but it's very rare; through the use of the slot machine. It's unreliable as a result through (2% chance to get 3, if you do the calculus from the wiki) and it's better to just get new boat lanterns and let a lureplant digest the empty ones. Unless you sync with RoG/Vanilla, in which case you can get light bulbs, but those will rot in time.

52 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I can confirm this. They're the only reason I've managed to find the volcano. I just thought their original purpose was to be a source of fuel for the boat lanterns or something.

Which one? Regular or rainbow? They both seems to just wander around islands, they do not follow a path

7 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Which one? Regular or rainbow? They both seems to just wander around islands, they do not follow a path

During a new moon (new, not full) rainbow jellyfish will swim in the direction of the volcano. It's kinda funny just how many of them swarm the volcano. When I followed them there was enough light around the volcano that I didn't even need to use a light source myself.

Archived