Give/Take from building

So, a page from dwarf fortress, and it might help with some of the overhead for item seeking too.  Force structures to give/take from specific collection points/stockpiles.

I currently have a grill and a fridge next to it filled to the brim with sleet wheat collected from natural growth.  I just watched an order for more sleet wheat (I've got it on continuous frost bun) call for some wheat from WAAAAAAAY across the map.  It's both silly to run across to the grill with a whopping 3 sleet wheat from over there when it's next door, and that means that the grill is also seeking the map for ingredients.

Similar to the water thing that was discussed that the system was more optimized when dupes went to water bottlers instead of from any possible water on the map, if we could specifically hook up buildings to other buildings, for example, my dedicated frost bun grill to the sleet wheat fridges, that would mean, in theory, only the fridge would be map searching for collectables and the grills would only check the fridges.

This can be taken further.  My mushroom farm needs slime in bulk, but little bits at a time per plot.  Since I've placed a storage locker nearby specifically for slime collection, I could hook those 50+ farms to the storage locker, reducing the 'search for slime' cycle to only the locker, instead of everything that might need it at that time.  It also helps to optimize my dupes into NOT running half the asteroid to go get more 4kg loads of slime that a puft dropped in some corner of nowhere.

Buildings I think should be allowed a dedicated Receive From option (this needs to be multiples, so I can have a fridge for sleet wheat and a fridge for peppers, etc):

• Farms (Basic and Hydroponics), for both seeds and fertilizers, but mostly fertilizers.
  • Grills/Mushers
  • Compost Heaps/Deoderizers/Outhouses (Outhouses can/should also give to a specific storage container/compost heap)
  • Algae deoxydizers/terrariums/distiller
  • Bottle Emptiers, so you can specifically empty ONE pond into another without pulling from multiple sources.
  • Storage Containers/fridges/ration boxes (local collection sites, bulk moves)... be nice if you could put a range on a storage container too.
  • Coal Generators (though this seems to be less of a concern with my usual setups)
  • Hydrofan (not that I'd ever USE it, but still, part of the idea)
  • Wash Basin/Hand Sanitizer (maybe?  It's a possible use case)
  • All the stations (Research, Super, Textile)

... so, yeah, pretty much everything that receives goods in small components.  Streamlining dupe time and reducing map searching would be beneficial in dozens of ways, I think... or I'm utterly wrong, and someone will tell me. :)

I think this concept can be simplified and still achieve it's goal by implicitly checking for supplies in storages/fridges first, and getting the supplies from the closest storage. If no supply is present in storage - check the world. So if for instance you place a designated storage for slime near the mushroom farm tile - this will be the source dupes will use.

Don't really have to designate storage explicitly if the whole thing is based on proximity

Agree with this, they should check proximity around the building, not from dupe proximity. 

Well this could lead dupe take longer route than it should be, 

Same like building ladder far from base, they should use any type mats available near ladder blueprint, so the dupe not run back  to the base for just getting chunk of granites or any specific type of material. Or stop halfway just to running back for toilet break, then seeing the dupes on other side of map continues his work is

Although for some building we prefer specific material type, so the solution its allow random material to build X item, like kazuha mentioned on other post.

My main point is The proccess could be faster and dupe more efficiently optimize, the game pathfinding should be smart deciding which route is faster and takes less time 

Archived