Gas Storage Tank

Here's my chlorine storage. Ignore the broken pipe, it's result of a design flaw but it doesn't prevent it working.

lR5c4py.jpg

Any chlorine that comes in is almost immediately liquefied in the middle chamber by the wheezewort (the wall between the wheezewort and the middle chamber is granite, rest is abyssalite) and the pump sends it to the left chamber where it's evaporated again. I would assume it'll stop working when there's over 1000 kg of gas per tile (as per liquid vent limit) but so far it works great and there's plenty of chlorine ready for use.

The broken pipe was a surprise to me, I wouldn't expect abyssalite pipe to break but it happened. I guess the right solution would be to put a hydro switch in the chamber and require certain minimum level of liquid chlorine in it.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

The broken pipe was a surprise to me, I wouldn't expect abyssalite pipe to break but it happened. I guess the right solution would be to put a hydro switch in the chamber and require certain minimum level of liquid chlorine in it.

Aye, I've been doing some tinkering with super cooled plumbing systems lately, and I've found it normally occurs when the pump is moving it's last partial packet before emptying, i.e. that 23g packet that couldn't fit the last 500g/10kg packet it sent. Hydro switch would deffinitely help as you know, but still not entirely avoidable. I've also been seeing pipes breaking on save/load :/ 

Seems to be somewhat mitigated by sending the first section of pipe leaving the pump directly into an abyssalite tile, however not sure why this would help.

13 minutes ago, PackageZ said:

I used half-underwater gas vent to release gas like this picture. That is easy way to build storage gas tank because half-underwater which is ignored gas pressure.

20170917221749_1.jpg

Best way to store gasses in large amounts has to be liquifying it. Easy and cheap to do, and doesn't need over-pressurised vents (which can easily break if temps fall too low).

1. One room filled with ~1.5kg hydrogen and wheezeworts - drip feed in your co2/chlorine to be made liquid.
  2. Second room to pump in your Liquids for storage.
  3. Third room for boiling the liquid back into gas for when you need it.

Having a supply of liquid chlorine or co2 is now even handier than ever to quickly purge large disease filled areas.

29 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Best way to store gasses in large amounts has to be liquifying it. Easy and cheap to do, and doesn't need over-pressurised vents (which can easily break if temps fall too low).

1. One room filled with ~1.5kg hydrogen and wheezeworts - drip feed in your co2/chlorine to be made liquid.
  2. Second room to pump in your Liquids for storage.
  3. Third room for boiling the liquid back into gas for when you need it.

Having a supply of liquid chlorine or co2 is now even handier than ever to quickly purge large disease filled areas.

I agreed this method to use wheezeworts in O2/H2 to liquefy Cl2 and CO2 but in case of PO2 and others it used a lot of energy or sand. I don't know that my way is bug or not, you can store any gases with underwater gas vent.

3 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

One room filled with ~1.5kg hydrogen and wheezeworts - drip feed in your co2/chlorine to be made liquid.

Safe for chlorine but I'm not so sure about CO2. I guess it might work if the wheezewort was at the top so when all CO2 liquefies it loses contact with it. But last time I tried putting them horizontally I was getting solid CO2. It was quite long ago though.

Edit: my thought was about separate chambers. With drip feeding, I think it may be even harder because if you get a single frozen drop, it may literally snowball out of control very fast. Plus I'm not sure if wheezeworts still 'eat' gases on save/load or not but I think I saw some gas disappearing from the resupply pipe and if yes, there's some extra technology to install to keep the hydrogen at pressure and still allow additional gas in.

3 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Safe for chlorine but I'm not so sure about CO2. I guess it might work if the wheezewort was at the top so when all CO2 liquefies it loses contact with it. But last time I tried putting them horizontally I was getting solid CO2. It was quite long ago though.

Edit: my thought was about separate chambers. With drip feeding, I think it may be even harder because if you get a single frozen drop, it may literally snowball out of control very fast. Plus I'm not sure if wheezeworts still 'eat' gases on save/load or not but I think I saw some gas disappearing from the resupply pipe and if yes, there's some extra technology to install to keep the hydrogen at pressure and still allow additional gas in.

Put the vent directly above your liquid pump, and you'll collect more than you lose when it comes to CO2. You will get some solidify, but that just helps to stabilise the room to be honest. I'd rather have some turn solid, and then increase the flow of CO2 to melt it if needed - after all, you'll be using valves or filters to throttle the flow i'd imagine.

In my last few bases since AU was released it's been my go-to method for storing co2/chlorine - literally as soon as I get electrolyzers set up and gain access to hydrogen. Makes life so much easier later when you need plentiful amounts of chlorine for storage rooms/sanitizing.

image.thumb.png.a0db7cdf2ed9e4e0f1f71e0614b65497.png

Here you can see my chambers. Hydrogen is controlled by a gas filter and an atmo switch, to make sure hydrogen is always above 1400g(ish), and the valves above the chamberss throttle the flow of CO2 (right) and chlorine (left). Pumps below the vents collect the liquid as soon as it drops, and pumps the packets to the tanks above. Those tanks also contain pumps for dumping it where I may need it later.

Standard, but clean and cheap :) 

wow a lot of talk of different ways to make a Void Tank of some kind ... interesting and great ideas of making good storage.  That is why I was making a suggestion about a Gas Storage Tank of some kind.  Would save a lot of the time and setup if you could just pump any gas to some kind of storage and then process it how ever you see fit.  I just thought the Void Box looks terrible and can be a pain to setup.  I was just thinking of something that holds say between 5 to 10k with a Gas Valve to control the Flow.  Then you could set yourself up with a few tanks to separate different gases.  Hey need to store some Oxygen so just in case you disconnect your power.  I could think of a lot of different uses I could do with it and it would not be a strain on your power.

Archived