What's the most efficient way to farm Nightmare Fuel?

I'm constantly running low on nightmare fuel. Probably because I don't play the whole game insane and I make camp above ground like a scrub. Anyway, wanted to know if there's any smart ways to farm the fuel. Best things I've found are:

• Nightmare amulet, though they can overwhelm you pretty fast if you aren't quick
  • Nightmare cycle in ruins near fissures, though this has a long delay between cycles
  • Shadow Splumonkeys, but I don't know how to aggro less than a dozen at a time

Any ideas that I haven't listed here? Or refinements on the ideas that I have listed?

I use a nightmare amulet to farm nightmare fuel, but I don't keep it on all the time. If you keep equipping and unequipping it, nightmare will still spawn while barely losing amulet durability. I use a lazy deserter to stay insane (just keep channeling and cancelling, you'll lose 15 sanity for free each time). Very later on you can get a bone helm and have a friend kill nightmares for you, so you don't risk losing helm durability, since it can't be repaired.

A silly little thing you can do is pick up all the petals you see (they regrow on their own quite fast after rain, especially during spring) and drop stacks on the ground. You can then haunt the stack of petals as a ghost until they turn to dark petals. Each stack of dark petals is 10 nightmare fuel after refining.

Bone helmet farming is probably still your best bet(kinda similar to nightmare amulet but without losing durability).

As far as farming monkeys go, there are probably better setups other there, but you can just use a flingo+a starcallers to freeze them and kill them.

I have different methods:

• For the splumonkeys, I built a corridor with toothtraps in long lasting worlds. I run around in the village, trying to collect all the monkeys (most loyal followers btw). Then just run through the traps which kill them. If there are just a few of them, I kill them per hand.
  • Also for the monkeys: bring Abigail. :)
  • Just simply raiding the ruins usually brings 2-3 stacks of fuel.
  • When fighting nightmares on the surface, I use the lazy forager (as mentioned already), or just eat different mushrooms. Blue caps are great because they keep you insane while recover your lost health. For the same prupose I sometimes use bat bats, they are great for shadow fights as a secondary weapon next to a hambat or sword. The dark sword is also good for staying insane. I used to fight shadows with an ornery beefalo, especially with Wendy, this way I don't have to watch the durability of my armor or weapon. 

Also, do you play alone or with others? In teams, usually there are players who go insane. Killing their shadow monsters usually bring fuel in nice amounts. 

Maxwell is the best nightmare farmer because he can do something I've seen called "nightmare lock."

With two duelists and a shoveler/chopper/miner his sanity is below the threshold to get attacked by shadow monsters so he gets constantly attacked for as long as you want.  Only way to get more efficient than that is bone helm or resource intensive splumonkey farming.

Splumonkeys corridor of death is the best. You camp just outside the ruins, find a narrow passage inside the ruins  near their village and spend the whole summer down there going between the two farming them. Pick lichen whenever you go back to your main camp and have a bird back there. Use the morsels and lichen to grind pirogis. If you have bundle wrap, live off the bananas/meatballs and wrap the pirogis up for your team's next boss battle, since theyre so much faster than poultices. I usually have a small grass and tree farm down there so all I need to bring from the surface is teeth, but you'll need stacks of trap supplies when you're setting it up. It's not super exciting once you get it set up (although killing monkeys never gets old), but I'd usually come back at the beginning of fall with a full stack of nm fuel if not more. No one had to stop to farm it for a new sword until late spring. I hate summer on the surface, and it gave me some time to make the light field base fancy.

bone helm farming works best with the ornery beefalo though  since you dont have to worry about switching helms and you basically already have a dark sword with you  plus a 1000 meat tank.

using spulemonkies doesnt really work out as well as it used to unless you have a lot of monkies  since monkies no longer drop nightmare fuel when they are out of their shadow state also there is only a 50 50 chance you would get 1 fuel. 

if you happen to have a wendy / be a wendy in a server  you can basically make your own large sanity aura field using your sisters flowers

that should bring them along so you dont get mauled by monkies just make sure they take the aggro 

and well if you have multiple people you can ask them to aid in farming as the more insane people the more nightmares that spawn. 2 per person

Grab weapon and armor, go insane and kill nightmares. Try to stay insane as long as possible.

Killing them is not difficult, you just need a little bit of practice and you will have as much nightmare fuel as you want.

2 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

using spulemonkies doesnt really work out as well as it used to unless you have a lot of monkies  since monkies no longer drop nightmare fuel when they are out of their shadow state also there is only a 50 50 chance you would get 1 fuel. 

But you only kill them when they're shadow splumonkeys. You can't get them to chase you to the corridor otherwise. Unless something has been changed in the past month, this still works exactly as I described it because I've done it myself that recently. Instead of wasting weapons and (a bit of)armor and time during the good seasons fighting shadow monsters, you can spend your time on the surface doing more fun things.

Hey KirbyJ! If you're constantly running low on these, there's no other choice : craft nightmare amulet and farm some.

As you said, you can get overhelmed easily but you only need practice. Assuming you got a Dark Sword, you'll need 5 hits to kill Shadows, 7 to kill Terrorbreaks right? You can use a technique I called 'Two Hits' : in one dodge, you can place 2 hits. Check the video if you wanna see how it goes.

TWOHITS

This would make you save a lot of time and be able to fight them faster and easier. Practice this and your nightmare amulets will be worth as they never been. Bone Helm and other stuff are not needed if you're a true nightmare gangsta dude :p

Happy Shadowfights! see ya :)

#As Wolfgang, easieast way of farming nightmare fuel is eating Blue Mushrooms or Gloomer Goops.

# As Wendy, she can use Abigail to farm Splumonkeys.

#As Woodie, turn into beaver then fight nightmares using Dark Sword like @dongianizoo said. And Woodie is great at crafting Dark Swords; easy spawn for Tree Guards and easy to get insane for spawning Nightmares.

Other characters has no specific skills for easy farm.

Don't use Gloomer Goop for fuel but keep them to farm nightmare fuels.

Gloomer Goops, Blue Mushrooms are best for farming Nightmare Fuels. Before starting to farm, have some Jerkies and Cooked Cactus Fleshes.

Have fun! :wilson_nerdy:

2 hours ago, seyfitoplar said:

#As Wolfgang, easieast way of farming nightmare fuel is eating Blue Mushrooms or Gloomer Goops.

# As Wendy, she can use Abigail to farm Splumonkeys.

#As Woodie, turn into beaver then fight nightmares using Dark Sword like @dongianizoo said. And Woodie is great at crafting Dark Swords; easy spawn for Tree Guards and easy to get insane for spawning Nightmares.

Other characters has no specific skills for easy farm.

You forgot that one of the best methods to farm nightmare fuel is exclusive to Maxwell...

On 9/16/2017 at 7:11 AM, Rellimarual said:

But you only kill them when they're shadow splumonkeys. You can't get them to chase you to the corridor otherwise. Unless something has been changed in the past month, this still works exactly as I described it because I've done it myself that recently. Instead of wasting weapons and (a bit of)armor and time during the good seasons fighting shadow monsters, you can spend your time on the surface doing more fun things.

yeah just saying being wendy farming fuel from monkies got nerfed cause of the state change for nightmare fuel to drop. I would spend whole seasons staying in a highly populated area  gathering packs full of food and fuel. 

but for me I would say the best method is beef farming using ammy or helm.  if using amulet can also do the sanity station idea with abby flowers to stay insane so you dont have to get off  to touch a deserter. then just spam the amulet in the chest to spawn the nightmares

Abby attacks splumonkeys even when they're not in their shadow state? That's a bummer. It all depends on what you find least tedious. I hate summer,  fighting nightmares and just being insane generally. I like killing monkeys and camping in the caves/ruins. I also really like already being stocked up on pirogis whenever everyone decides they want to fight a boss. Finding a use for all the hounds teeth is nice, too.

Perhaps its not a popular method but I like saving the goop and the mushrooms for other uses, you can just find a wormhole and keep jumping until insane. Once you kill a few nightmares, depending on your character you'll get sane again, which is a good timeout to heal, get sane , craft new armor, or simply keep jumping and continue farming. This method is available to all characters from day 1, although I usually wait until having at least a log suit, a few blue mushrooms for emergency healing, a hambat and some food for a day or two, which is usually around day 10. I can easily get around 30 fuels which will cover all the starting needs.

later in the game a lazy deserterer is also a good way to stay insane for free.

On 15.09.2017 at 10:09 PM, KirbyJParasol said:

I'm constantly running low on nightmare fuel. Probably because I don't play the whole game insane and I make camp above ground like a scrub. Anyway, wanted to know if there's any smart ways to farm the fuel. Best things I've found are:

• Nightmare amulet, though they can overwhelm you pretty fast if you aren't quick
  • Nightmare cycle in ruins near fissures, though this has a long delay between cycles
  • Shadow Splumonkeys, but I don't know how to aggro less than a dozen at a time

Any ideas that I haven't listed here? Or refinements on the ideas that I have listed?

just spam lasy deserter. 200-0 sanity in 5 seconds

i really hope klei will nerf it because it cost you nothing for permanent insanity

Archived