Will Ps4 Ever Have The Metheus Puzzle and New Character Added Soon?

The puzzle was promised to us months ago and yet we've not gotten any progress about its release to the PS4 & Winona (who I thought was gonna get released on all platforms on release) still isn't here yet. Can we at least get some release dates or at least let the PS4 Users know whats going on as far as updates go?

At this point, the PS4 Version is behind the Xbox-one Version of DST, even though the PS4 Version was the start of Don't Starve's Console experience, now they're  3rd in updates being the least important. (Steam 1st, Microsoft 2nd) 

You're really not missing out on much with the Xbox version. The FPS drops on the Xbox version are game breaking because they lag you out completely on local/online mode when standing next to three nests of spiders or running through a forest. It's constant frame drops and it's worse when you're getting attacked by something.

Never really had this framerate problem on PS4's local mode apart from the obvious controller input delay, so it would of made sense to bring the update to the stable version of the game. 

I think I know who you are on the PS4 Mike, and you may know me. I might be wrong.

As I've said before in a similar topic, it costs A LOT of money to release an update on non-PC platforms. I'm not talking about development costs, I'm talking $40,000 just to release the patch, whereas on Steam it costs nothing.

So it'd make sense for Klei to want to hold off on releasing updates until they can work out the nitty gritty on PC, then properly port it to the non-PC platforms.

Keep in mind that updates have to go through an approval process with non-PC platforms before they can be launched. So it may just be that it's taking Sony longer to approve the update than it did for Microsoft.

12 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

As I've said before in a similar topic, it costs A LOT of money to release an update on non-PC platforms. I'm not talking about development costs, I'm talking $40,000 just to release the patch, whereas on Steam it costs nothing.

So it'd make sense for Klei to want to hold off on releasing updates until they can work out the nitty gritty on PC, then properly port it to the non-PC platforms.

Keep in mind that updates have to go through an approval process with non-PC platforms before they can be launched. So it may just be that it's taking Sony longer to approve the update than it did for Microsoft.

It does not cost $40,000 to release a patch. This number was from an article published in 2012. You are spreading fake news. I think the cost is way lower, or non-existent at all when it comes to independent developers. If it were that pricey to update a game, there would be no incentive to update at all. If there is a $40,000 pay-wall to update a game, I really think it would only apply to AAA developers like Bethesda or EA. If anything, Klei is taking a while to update consoles because of the approvement process; I've heard that Sony would take up to four months to update a particular EA game. (This information was from the developer himself in a livestream a year or two ago). There are many regulations when it comes to console, I remember Sony required that Klei implement achievements in the PS Don't Starve. This led to them making an exclusive console item called the Accomplishrine, it was a trophy that you could activate and when you reached somewhere around 700 activations it would grant you an achievement (and some confetti). The description of the item is pretty funny, I must admit. 

I just want some clarification as to when we're getting content and patches rather than 2 months later getting something that everyone else already has randomly given to us. It doesn't hurt to tell your consumers when they're expecting to release updates(heck at least let us know if it's coming out this month if you don't have an exact date) because it's communities like this that can go from active to empty. Plenty of well thought out suggestions about the controls for PS4(Example) have been posted and not any of them have ever gotten a reply from the devs.( Any response to your supporters will do, it doesn't have to be a long well-thought sentence, just a simple it can't be done or we'll look into that) 

@Guano_Bowls not sure if I remember you mate, do you know my psn?

And @watermelen671 , the cost of releasing patches on consoles is no longer a thing. Initially, the idea behind them was to stop developers and publishers from releasing broken, unfinished games and simply patching them after launch. At the beginning of the Xbox 360 and PS3 life cycle, that made sense. It was the first time that connecting your console to the internet had become mainstream and having a cost for content updates worked.

But the industry quickly changed. Big publishers became bigger and bigger. $10k is virtually nothing to the likes of EA and Activision. Companies like that can and do release broken games and patch them later, regardless of whether or not it will cost them money. Then at around the same time you had a rise in indie games. For a small, independent developer, having to pay $10k to push out a patch was massive and many patches didn't happen because there was not a business case for paying that money to fix a few minor bugs that were not going to effect the majority of users, and fixing it wouldn't effect sales.

It very quickly became apparent that paying for patches was not sustainable and was not good for gamers or the platforms. So the platform holders removed the charge for patching games.

They still have to pass through certification, which causes them to be slower than on PC, but the cost is gone mate.

11 hours ago, AniMike said:

I just want some clarification as to when we're getting content and patches rather than 2 months later getting something that everyone else already has randomly given to us. It doesn't hurt to tell your consumers when they're expecting to release updates(heck at least let us know if it's coming out this month if you don't have an exact date) because it's communities like this that can go from active to empty. Plenty of well thought out suggestions about the controls for PS4(Example) have been posted and not any of them have ever gotten a reply from the devs.( Any response to your supporters will do, it doesn't have to be a long well-thought sentence, just a simple it can't be done or we'll look into that) 

They still have to pass through certification, which causes them to be slower than on PC, but the cost is gone mate.

Ah, my mistake.

Also, I know that the folks over at Klei don't like to announce anything unless they know definitively that it's the truth. And it makes sense; we tend to take things that the Klei devs say as gospel, and rage when/if it turns out to be false. And Sony/Microsoft aren't the most communicative platforms when it comes to getting an update on how the approval's coming along.

And if Klei were to make an estimate, we'd most likely take it as a certain rather than a guess, and then yell at Klei when it turns out it's going to take longer. Now that's not always the case, but most of the time with most people that's what happens. And the absolute LAST thing Klei needs is to garner a bad rep through word of mouth on the internet for spreading "false" information.

We do plan to give PS4 the Metheus puzzle, I actually thought it already happened; so I will have to check in on that. PS4 has a decent amount of scary legal requirements to use their login and item systems required to grant the rewards at the end. Not really all that big of a deal, but for a small team, it's a lot to wrangle and coordinate while working on everything else we have going on. 

Without saying to much about anything, unfortunately consoles can be... tricky, for various reasons. Developers in general are hesitant to really talk about it in concern of upsetting whatever platform and losing their support. It sucks and ultimately the players suffer for it, but we do our very best to work around those issues. Sadly in the end it can appear like we don't care, but that couldn't be further from the truth. 

You can expect Winona sometime in the next few weeks. 

You will be getting The Forge and all the good stuff, but that one may be coming a bit later for consoles (not sure about that yet). Hopefully now that we're released on both Xbox and Ps4 we will be able to sync everybody up soon so that there isn't this gap in update timing. 

14 hours ago, AniMike said:

@Guano_Bowls not sure if I remember you mate, do you know my psn?

And @watermelen671 , the cost of releasing patches on consoles is no longer a thing. Initially, the idea behind them was to stop developers and publishers from releasing broken, unfinished games and simply patching them after launch. At the beginning of the Xbox 360 and PS3 life cycle, that made sense. It was the first time that connecting your console to the internet had become mainstream and having a cost for content updates worked.

But the industry quickly changed. Big publishers became bigger and bigger. $10k is virtually nothing to the likes of EA and Activision. Companies like that can and do release broken games and patch them later, regardless of whether or not it will cost them money. Then at around the same time you had a rise in indie games. For a small, independent developer, having to pay $10k to push out a patch was massive and many patches didn't happen because there was not a business case for paying that money to fix a few minor bugs that were not going to effect the majority of users, and fixing it wouldn't effect sales.

It very quickly became apparent that paying for patches was not sustainable and was not good for gamers or the platforms. So the platform holders removed the charge for patching games.

Are you LightMikeKnight by any chance? I could be wrong though. It's Doctor by the way if that is you.

9 hours ago, Guano_Bowls said:

Are you LightMikeKnight by any chance? I could be wrong though. It's Doctor by the way if that is you.

yep, howdy doc :)

and it's good to get a response, I'm just a fan of the game and want to experience it at its lastest build like everyone else, thanks again @JoeW

Archived