Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

2 hours ago, t1morino88eex said:

Holly hell, so this is the norm nowadays. I'll never again buy or touch anything Klei makes. I don't care that it's just a visual thing, but this is one of the lamest and cheapest way to expect to make money out of a game. Awful.

I'm sorry for keeping this guy in discussion here, but the amount of misplaced anger being focused on something that doesn't deserve even a modicum of it needs to be addressed. There's always going to be "That guy" who makes all of us look bad by being some outrageously entitled crybaby, but complaining about something that is genuinely just trying to help continue funding without asking directly for donations is pretty low.

Ask yourself this: Would you prefer loot boxes and gambling? Crates and keys in a non-F2P game? Pieces of content based DLC being ransomed behind a paywall?

I would certainly hope the answer is a resounding "No" as these are some of the most abused practices in the industry right now, but this is not happening here. They're upping the drop rates so that people who enjoy playing can get these pieces without spending a cent if they don't want to. They're encouraging people to play for longer periods of time beyond just being eligible for more drops in a given week, AND rewarding skillful play in new events they want to add to the expand the game. 

You can't just lump everyone trying to make money into the same pool, that's not only unfair to those trying to earn it honestly, it's taking the attention away from those who abuse it to nickel and dime their customers.

1 hour ago, t1morino88eex said:

How about you keep your insults somewhere else? You're rude. I made my point as politely as possible and they were targeted at Klei. 

No, no you didn't, you did not make your point in a way even remotely resembling any definition of the word "polite." There are constructive ways to do this, and there are emotional knee-jerk reactions like yours. 

Sorry again to the rest of the forum-goers here who want to voice their excitement here, I want to as well, but reading this guy's response prompted this first.

Edited by Quyzbuk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I have no power because of hurricane Irma and I probably won't have power for the next week or two so I hope the event will still be going on when I regain power, but anyways, I was playing dont starve on my phone (the controls aren't the best, but it's still fun) and got killed right when I saw a YouTube notification for the new Hamlet dlc. 

I was (and still am) estatic. Let me just start by saying thank you Klei. 

It just shows that even though you're working on a new game (which looks fantastic by the way) you still haven't given up on your game (and don't show signs of stopping). Completely opposite of valve, they haven't updated tf2 in a while and gave up on finishing half life 3. 

The update looks amazing. Content for everyone to enjoy. The new skins sound like they'll be pretty awesome, I might get the Webber and Wickerbottom ones if I cant play the event. Also I'm really looking forward to Hamlet, can't wait to explore the new world (and read every wiki page that gets made because I always do that).

In this spoiler, I address the bit of flame that appears on this thread. Skip this bit if it doesn't interest you. Great update, really hyped for it!

Spoiler

Finally, I'd like to address the bit of flame that has arisen. It's pretty pointless. He gave his opinion without insulting anyone, and is now getting insulted. We don't need more people explaining how "the skins are Klei's way of making the update free for everyone" because no matter how many times you explain something, if you're explaining the same thing over and over again, it really won't change anything. (Also so many people have explained that same point by now, I think it makes up 30% or more of the thread). The way to avoid flame is to ignore "flamers". If someone insults you, you won't solve anything by insulting them back. By the way, morino is not flaming, he gave his opinion. The flamers are people who began to attack him. Avoid doing that please, it makes everything so much more pleasant. 

Edited by Roody
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

...What are people angry about again?

That you can buy the event skins for money?

...But you guys do realize that they're just as droppable as every other skin in game, right? Sure, theyre avaible only during the event, but paying for them is just another option for getting them that isnt required.

Overally, im super hyped for all of this coming out, can't wait~

I'm now concerned about shipwrecked since it's going into a second beta or a revival as I'm probably going to call it does that mean we're open the character tweaks because even though the chef is like one of my favorite characters because he makes you do stuff you probably don't want to dob. He still kind of sucks 

23 minutes ago, Roody said:

I have no power because of hurricane Irma and I probably won't have power for the next week or two so I hope the event will still be going on when I regain power

The DST event should not be here before november. You should have power back since it. Hope all is ok for you otherwise.

• Like 2

Me: Oh, Klei uploaded a new video. Cool. *clicks on link*
*EXPLOSION OF NEW CONTENT*

Seriously though, you have no idea how happy I am to see this. Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together still stands as my all time favorite game, and now that y'all are adding stuff that gives entirely new goals I can finally get the inspiration to play it again!

33 minutes ago, Roody said:

I have no power because of hurricane Irma and I probably won't have power for the next week or two so I hope the event will still be going on when I regain power

The event is gonna occur sometime in November. I'd hope that things will start getting back to normal down there by then.