Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

They’re still well within the projected release window for Hamlet. They never promised regular updates on their internal process, and the fact that they haven’t supplied such updates in no way proves that they’re not working on it. And really, what do you expect? Regular announcements that they’re still working on it? Like that would actually satisfy you?

You just have to wait. We all wish we had it right now and are impatient to get it. The difference is recognizing that your impatience is not Klei’s fault. Learning to cope with not have your desires instantly fulfilled is a major part of growing up. Welcome to it.

If we get to the end of Q2 and they haven’t finished yet, then it’s perfectly reasonable to expect an update. But if they haven’t finished, it will be because it’s not ready for prime time yet. It will take as long as it takes, and sometimes estimates are overly optimistic. Moaning “Are we there yet?” over and over doesn’t actually make the distance between point A and point B any shorter.

• Like 1

Also, the point was to give informations about how DS isn't abandoned. Which is enough to know for some people that are happy to know that more is to come.

1 hour ago, Karmattack said:

I'm just curious why they announced it so early if they weren't going to put any attention behind it.

Well, they announced Griftland early too, and as far as i know we don't have a lot of "attention" about it, but still, it's nice to know what they are working on, and that there is something to expect. I mean, between all the new projects and the work on existing one, they have a lot of work, they are pretty busy.

And again, it's another layer of work to post things here. And you need to manage the consequencies that could happen, and it's another layer of work. So this isn't just taking 5 minutes to put a picture, it's a lot more.

I do appreciate learning that new content is being worked on and getting a rough estimate of when it might be done. After ANR went out of beta there was a long period when it wasn’t clear whether anything more would be added to the game. After months of getting new content every three weeks or so (if you were playing the beta), it was difficult to adjust to the lack of excitement, but what made it especially hard was not being sure what if anything was planned, so every Thursday we’d get our hopes up, then be disappointed. In that particular case, an announcement along the lines of “We are working on something significant, but don’t expect anything in the next few months,” would have been fine. That’s exactly what the more recent announcements have given us, and I’m fine with that.

Turns out they were working on the Forge, and personally, the longer they take to make the next modular limited-time event for DST, the more hopeful I am that it will be something more interesting than just another big dumb fight.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Ok people i have a question for you:

If Klei decided to post a picture of Hamlet creature/plant/structure do you think people would be quiet till Hamlet is released or would they start begging for more pictures of new stuff? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

If Klei decided to post a picture of Hamlet creature/plant/structure do you think people would be quiet

Sure, I'd be content with more art influence. So far I'm not complaining. Those images on the steam page and the trailer have my imagination going but some more previews are pretty nice.:wilson_dorky:

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

If Klei decided to post a picture of Hamlet creature/plant/structure do you think people would be quiet till Hamlet is released or would they start begging for more pictures of new stuff? 

I know i would not be quiet until Hamlet is released. I will be hyped, i will expect more. I will not, however, complain on forum, at least i hope so. But it could be a disappointment if the hype isn't fulfilled somehow...

• Like 1

• Developer
18 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It seems like putting out a teaser is a bad move now. After the initial hype dies out you're just left with people complaining.

I feel like announcing things when closer to a stable build for release would be the way to fix this. Yes, people would complain that there's no new content for SP, but then they'd be hyped with an announcement and soon enough be able to play it. The way Klei does it right now, people complain, then they get hyped, then they complai again for the lack of release/updates.

Either take more time to announce things or have some monthly dev blogs to keep us up to date on some design ideas, like how Seth used to do.

Edited by ImDaMisterL

9 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I feel like announcing things when closer to a stable build for release would be the way to fix this. Yes, people would complain that there's no new content for SP, but then they'd be hyped with an announcement and soon enough be able to play it. The way Klei does it right now, people complain, then they get hyped, then they complai again for the lack of release/updates.

Either take more time to announce things or have some monthly dev blogs to keep us up to date on some design ideas, like how Seth used to do.

Either take more time to announce things or have some monthly dev blogs to keep us up to date on design ideas and teased content, like how Seth used to do.

Personally, I think the real problem is just how impatient people are.

Is it just me or is there an echo in here?

• Haha 4

I’d rather know it’s in the works sooner. The people complaining are, I think, the minority. I was glad to know that single-player is not on the shelf. It’s not late. If someone looks at a Q1 or Q2 delivery estimate and assumes they’re getting the DLC in January, their disappointment and frustration  are their own fault.

• Like 1

• Developer
6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

One thing is being impatient, the other is when you have a date set and then change it. It's not the case with Hamlet (yet), but it happened with Hot Lava, Griftlands and A New Reign (previously Through the Ages).

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I’d rather know it’s in the works sooner. The people complaining are, I think, the minority. I was glad to know that single-player is not on the shelf. It’s not late. If someone looks at a Q1 or Q2 delivery estimate and assumes they’re getting the DLC in January, their disappointment and frustration  are their own fault.

Yes, I agree with that, I just hope they are able to deliver it on Q2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

One thing is being impatient, the other is when you have a date set and then change it. It's not the case with Hamlet (yet), but it happened with Hot Lava, Griftlands and A New Reign (previously Through the Ages).

Yes, I agree with that, I just hope they are able to deliver it on Q2.

I expect the Hamlet to be released in the Q1 of 2019, because almost every single game and (or) it's part or aspect, gets delayed at least once.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, Rellimarual said:

OMG, listen to yourselves, you’re like a pack of spoiled children whining in the backseat on a car trip. They will finish when they finish. There is zero chance they are slacking off because of a lack of moaning in the forums that’s it’s been three months since the last new content. I would rather have the new game(s) sooner than some trailer..

Ehhh, some poeple...

Pure truth.

I am also growing tired of Constant SPAM about SW-DST in Steam comments next to every single update.

Edited by Wilson_pl
  • Like 1

Just some buzz about it is all I'm asking for, usually Klei does a whole lot to build things up and get you excited but here it's just so quiet for so long and the only real feedback we're getting (from both the company and forum users) is basically "shut up". 

Obviously I'm not actually mad at them, I love this game, but lately there just feels like a lack of life in how things are handled and that makes the wait feel even longer. 

To go with the car trip example you provided, a car trip feels a lot longer if there's no radio and nobody talking during the ride. 

• Like 8

I agree with @Karmattack for the most part. I just properly read through this thread, and my, there are many sad gamers here. The only thing I want is The Forge back so I did not pay attention to Hamlet news much. I trust that Klei will release Hamlet within Q2; their PR team just has to learn better pacing. If you guys open your third eye, you should expect that your playerbase will get impatient. It's all about that nice juicy flow of content to keep your followers energized.

Get a schedule of all the events or big news you're going to release and then plan your pacing. You have Forge, Winona, Hamlet, and the upcoming Christmas event at the time. The Christmas one was pretty fun and meaty in terms of content – announcing a while after the hype died would have made everyone way more excited because it won't be expected. Maybe even announcing it with the CNY update since you guys seem to like announcing several things at once. People wouldn't be even complaining about lack of new Singleplayer content if they have new updates to busy themselves with; revealing Hamlet when the other events were over would have been the icing on the cake. Sharing what you know with us as soon as you know it is a nice sentiment, but sometimes you gotta step back and see the bigger picture then act accordingly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Iirc, Shipwrecked was a surprise. They announced Hamlet in advance, which is already more than that. But I can see how all the nagging might make them regret having done so.

I vaguely recall them sprinkling the main game with new nautical items before Shipwreck's release as a teaser (and I think there was some kind of puzzle?). Even just something like that would be neat, maybe spread some suspiciously fancier pig houses around or something. Basically Klei set a precedent of handling major content releases a certain way and they're not really doing anything like that this time 'round, it just feels really stagnant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly after the Terraria Otherworld fiasco I don't mind them not giving us updates every 10 seconds crap

happens when making games not to mention DS isn't the only game they are working on so just give them time unless you want this to end up like Terraria Otherworld.

Edited by Avarwen
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Avarwen said:

Honestly after the Terraria Otherworld fiasco I don't mind them not giving us updates every 10 seconds crap

happens when making games not to mention DS isn't the only game they are working on so just give them time unless you want this to end up like Terraria Otherworld.

???

1 hour ago, Avarwen said:

Uh, Terraria Otherworld had like 3+ years. The issue there wasn't time. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Uh, Terraria Otherworld had like 3+ years. The issue there wasn't time. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Time isn't the issue. Releasing half-baked ideas that generate a lot of hype is. If said idea changes a lot in development, or is just outright canceled, then all that hype can easily burn up into a flaming ball of hatred.

So, while a roadmap would be very much welcome, I can respect Klei's silence on the matter. It sounds to me like they're not yet confident on showing us anything, because it's just not ready.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

So, while a roadmap would be very much welcome, I can respect Klei's silence on the matter. It sounds to me like they're not yet confident on showing us anything, because it's just not ready.

But then they shouldn't promise access to the DLC by December, I think.

If you're a game developer, you should already have an idea of what will be in the DLC when you're months close to open access. They don't need to showcase every single thing, but a "how things are going" thread every 3 months (when close-ish to open acess) would be nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tokyo said:

But then they shouldn't promise access to the DLC by December, I think.

If you're a game developer, you should already have an idea of what will be in the DLC when you're months close to open access. They don't need to showcase every single thing, but a "how things are going" thread every 3 months (when close-ish to open acess) would be nice.

I was speaking more about DST then DS. Sorry about the confusion (I thought this was a different thread as the discussion is practically the same). We all know Hamlet is getting close. They wouldn't have put a specific date on it otherwise. Most of my previous post was based on what a dev said a few months back about DST specifically. But since it's not in this thread, I'll bring it up again:

On 7/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, JoeW said:

As we said when we announced the events, part of the point of us working on events is that it allows us to make significant changes and experiments with how people play with each other so we can learn from them. That being said, we're still growing and we aren't going to be stopping any time soon. We're mapping out what we're going to be working on and we have about the next year covered, we will have details on that when we have a bit more solid info. 

This makes it sound like they're not 100% confident in showing what they're working on yet. And I don't blame them. Hype can be very dangerous, especially if what was building the hype may, or may not come to pass. I also remember another comment from a dev long ago that they felt like they announced Through the Ages too early (and it eventually was renamed to A New Reign). But that was long ago and I can't find the source, so I may be wrong. Anyway, if I am remembering this correctly, they also said they wanted to avoid announcing things too early before things were set in stone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1