Winona confirmed perks

1 hour ago, WilliamGreywind said:

You mean gains sanity planting pine cones Woodie? Can control Beaverness in human form by eating twigs Woodie? Doesn't drop inventory when in Beaver form Woodie?

Don't forget its Klei we're talking about. The same company that has made numerous changes to their newer games due to player input. If Klei really doesn't listen to us, Don't Starve would be a much different game.

Woodie is a lot weaker than he was in singleplayer and is pretty outclassed as a gatherer by Max.  Werebeaver form is mostly a punishment unless you have enough trees to gnaw to shift back.

Honestly, I can see how see how Winona can become better:

160 Hp

200 Hunger

200 San

+Gets more items off from natural resources (I.E. Berries, grass, twigs, etc.), maybe something like a extra pinecone and a extra log per each tree harvest.

+Gets the "Normal" amount of items for destroying structures (I.E. Pig houses, bunny houses, etc.)

+Tape can repair anything that can be broken (I.E. Wicker's books, Wiggy's Helm, Pickaxe, Thermstone, etc.)

-Has a bigger hunger drain (1.25-1.5) and takes 1.5 the dmg from everything

-Loses san from breaking tools

-Hostile mobs follow her longer/harder to shake off. 

Winona rebalance idea: buff Repair Tape to fix more than clothing, remove fast build perk, add "pyrophobia" weakness(open wildfires drain sanity because factory fire).

I'm no game dev but I feel like those would be good stats for both single player and multiplayer and would make her more than just Wilson 2.0.

EDIT: or maybe fancy clothes don't help as much since she has a distaste for all things dapper/snobby.

16 hours ago, Toros said:

Woodie is a lot weaker than he was in singleplayer and is pretty outclassed as a gatherer by Max.  Werebeaver form is mostly a punishment unless you have enough trees to gnaw to shift back.

*angrily fixes bowtie* now listen here you little ****

Maxwell is better than Woodie at gathering rocks and living underground. But Woodie TOTALLY outpaces Maxwell at purely logs, because lets be honest, what world did you play where there WEREN'T huge forests to gnaw through as Werebeaver? Chop --> Werebeaver --> Gnaw --> Unwerebeaver --> plant a dozen pinecones to regain your sanity. Repeat until you have all the logs you need.

And perhaps most importantly: HE DOESN'T DIE EASIER THAN WES IN A BOSS FIGHT

Not saying Maxwell is bad or even inferior to Woodie, just stating that they each have their own niche, and Woodie is criminally underrated

After reading the post right now I got the feeling some people would be ready to play a pink-black checkered cube with no animations as long as its 300/ 300 / 300. With x1.25 speed that loses hunger slower consumes less resources to craft stuff one KO''s everything and just is generally 1337.

Now being more serious.

Of all the characters i like Wilson the best, I like how hes a nice middle ground for everything. I love his quirky scientific remarks, his design I just love the character. I think DST alongside other sandboxes is a game where you make the game yourself. If someone is familiar with Dwarf Fortress terminology this game (for me) too is all about fun. I dont need character to be the most efficient to pick it, I just need to have fun with it.

Sure for people who have clocked 500-1000 + hours to the game this character will not bring too much new to the table, but you have to realize there are still people picking up this game, I feel like this one is a great starter character. I've died plenty of times when i started due to darkness and not being able to craft stuff fast enough. I feel like especially female characters are lacking the beginning character, every female char has some weakness that new players might not find easy to deal with.

1 hour ago, KirbyJParasol said:

*angrily fixes bowtie* now listen here you little ****

Maxwell is better than Woodie at gathering rocks and living underground. But Woodie TOTALLY outpaces Maxwell at purely logs, because lets be honest, what world did you play where there WEREN'T huge forests to gnaw through as Werebeaver? Chop --> Werebeaver --> Gnaw --> Unwerebeaver --> plant a dozen pinecones to regain your sanity. Repeat until you have all the logs you need.

And perhaps most importantly: HE DOESN'T DIE EASIER THAN WES IN A BOSS FIGHT

Not saying Maxwell is bad or even inferior to Woodie, just stating that they each have their own niche, and Woodie is criminally underrated

Woodie is as good as Wigfrid which means he's very underrated.  He is however a lot slower than Maxwell at gathering wood.  Two clones plus Max chopping plus a digger pulling stumps will outpace Werebeaver both short and long-term.  I like Woodie, but he's just weaker than max at gathering even wood, and max is good at stone, graves, and can nightmare lock to gather fuel.

9 minutes ago, TheHeat said:

After reading the post right now I got the feeling some people would be ready to play a pink-black checkered cube with no animations as long as its 300/ 300 / 300. With x1.25 speed that loses hunger slower consumes less resources to craft stuff one KO''s everything and just is generally 1337.

Now being more serious.

Of all the characters i like Wilson the best, I like how hes a nice middle ground for everything. I love his quirky scientific remarks, his design I just love the character. I think DST alongside other sandboxes is a game where you make the game yourself. If someone is familiar with Dwarf Fortress terminology this game (for me) too is all about fun. I dont need character to be the most efficient to pick it, I just need to have fun with it.

Sure for people who have clocked 500-1000 + hours to the game this character will not bring too much new to the table, but you have to realize there are still people picking up this game, I feel like this one is a great starter character. I've died plenty of times when i started due to darkness and not being able to craft stuff fast enough. I feel like especially female characters are lacking the beginning character, every female char has some weakness that new players might not find easy to deal with.

Wilson isn't a middle ground, he's in the same tier as willow which is just above Wes.  Every other character outperforms him mechanically because his beard takes forever to grow (and lost on death), beard hair isn't that useful, and the insulation is a minor and generally unnecessary perk.

He's in the bottom quarter of the cast even with a generous analysis, but in don't starve every character is a perfectly viable choice.

17 minutes ago, Toros said:

Wilson isn't a middle ground, he's in the same tier as willow which is just above Wes.  Every other character outperforms him mechanically because his beard takes forever to grow (and lost on death), beard hair isn't that useful, and the insulation is a minor and generally unnecessary perk.

With middle ground I meant no negatives like not being able to eat stale food or only being able to eat meat, big sanity drains or extremely fragile character. None of those things are easy for people starting out DS franchise

And if you read my post i really dont care if hes second to last in tier list. you even said yourself. I'm sure Winona can be treated the same no?

25 minutes ago, Toros said:

He's in the bottom quarter of the cast even with a generous analysis, but in don't starve every character is a perfectly viable choice.

4 hours ago, Alarsin said:

Indeed. All of her traits are useless in late-game.

Not if you're trying to build a giant, world-spanning base.  That reduced craft time will shine.  She's still a beginner character, no doubt, but she makes inexperienced players more helpful to the team: just give the newb 2400 logs and 600 rocky turfs, and ask them to sit in the camp and craft 600 cobblestones.  That perk just cut 20 minutes of tedium down to 10.

Archived