I want to make metal pipes

Liquid pipes can be made from wolframite. You should note however that there's generally no benefit from it. If you think that they'll be great at heat transfer because of the high thermal conductivity then think again. It's the lowest thermal conductivity of two substances that is used in the calculation so it makes no difference. What matters is specific heat capacity and mass per tile. And in that case granite wins. Wolframite is great for something you want to change temperature quickly relative to it's environment, like fast reacting thermal switches.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Pretty sure @Coolthulhu proved it was granite.

No, I only showed that granite and sandstone are both better than wolframite.

Granite vs sandstone is still an open question. That depends on whether is lower conductivity used in ALL cases or just most of them - if lower conductivity is used in all cases, then sandstone is a tiny, tiny bit better. Otherwise granite is a tiny bit better. They are very similar though - any difference between them will be minimal, comparable to random noise.

1 minute ago, Coolthulhu said:

Granite vs sandstone is still an open question. That depends on whether is lower conductivity used in ALL cases or just most of them - if lower conductivity is used in all cases, then sandstone is a tiny, tiny bit better. Otherwise granite is a tiny bit better. They are very similar though - any difference between them will be minimal, comparable to random noise.

So to cut away the random noise the advice is to just use granite as there's far far far more of it on the map and it has better decor value?

44 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

So to cut away the random noise the advice is to just use granite as there's far far far more of it on the map and it has better decor value?

Decor wise, Granite isn't giving better bonus for pipes because pipes doesn't have a +/- decor value.  I use sandstone for my liquefier and cooler setups because I just seem to have so much of it.  Compare to Granite.  So as a game strategy decision, I decided to save my granite for my floor tiles and decor items and use sandstone for my heat transfer pipes.

(I also use Igneous Rock for all the non-essential pipes that doesn't require heat transfer or insulation). 

On 9/13/2017 at 8:32 AM, Coolthulhu said:

How would things change if I was piping liquid mercury (from melted gold amalgam)?

36 minutes ago, Xarian said:

How would things change if I was piping liquid mercury (from melted gold amalgam)?

It'd use the pipe element for thermal conductivity for all elements except Wolframite and Tungsten.
However, mercury has terrible specific heat capacity (third lowest of all liquids) so it won't contain much heat.

Edit: Worth mention that both water and polluted water have lower thermal conductivity than most plumbable elements
with the only one that matters being Abyssallite. So if you're hoping to avoid temperature spread, only use Abyssallite pipes.
The rest are only good for SHC.

18 hours ago, Xarian said:

I don't think it can be easily answered from what we know. The formula for temperature change depends rather strongly on heat capacity, so I'd still expect granite to beat wolframite, but I wouldn't bet on it. The best material could even depend on temperature difference.

Someone would need to do science in debug mode.

Let's just assume in the simplest term that the heat transfer factor is going to be:

(Specific Heat of Content) x (Specific Heat of Pipe) x (Lowest Thermal Conductivity of the two)

Liquid Mercury + Wolframite Pipes: 

0.14 x 0.134 x 8.3 = 0.156

Liquid Mercury + Granite Pipes:

0.14 x 0.79 x 3.39 = 0.375

So with Liquid Mercury, Granite Pipes should still, theoretically, perform better in terms of heat transfer at the "Content -> Pipe" stage.

Then you have the whole issue with "Pipe -> Target Medium" heat transfer, which, in most cases, will probably favor Granite Pipes over Wolframite Pipes.

I think the issue here is that Wolframite's low specific heat pretty much made it a bad material for heat transfer overall, in the current heat transfer system.  The one good thing it's for is its high melting point, which, along with Abyssalite, made them the only two liquid pipe material capable of carrying most molten metals.  So when we get to the refinement of metal and stuff, these two will be the only piping materials you can use.

P.S. Just looking at random stuff, it appears that, if you are piping Molten Steel, Wolframite would make the best heat transfer pipes theoretically!  The common materials would all melt, and the only two left standing (Igneous Rock and Obsidian) are inferior because of Steel's high conductivity.  (But unless you're trying to heat more Molten Steel and maybe Molten Copper, anything else would make Igneous Rock and Obsidian better in the "Content -> Pipe" stage.

10 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

P.S. Just looking at random stuff, it appears that, if you are piping Molten Steel, Wolframite would make the best heat transfer pipes theoretically!

Can technically consider Tungsten fair game for pipes as unlike all the other refined metals it has a material tag assigned to it.
With higher thermal conductivity, melting point, and hardness, it is an all around better material.

Just gotta reach 2931.85 C with Wolframite or 3426.85 C with Abyssallite.

So what is the deal with transfer then? is it ignoring the pipe material? or is it a branch dilemma where temperature is being transferred from inside the pipe to whatever is around it, then that's being transferred back to the pipe - or does it follow a more common sense approach, ..contents -> pipe wall -> surroundings.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:45 AM, Saturnus said:

It's the lowest thermal conductivity of two substances that is used in the calculation so it makes no difference.

The problem here is that there's more than two substances at work on the equation in any given tile; those being any or all things of substance in that tile, it stands to reason that each tile is a collector of some thermal value by making the calculations of all materials and substances at work in the tile. Is that not happening?

Is what you are saying regarding just the pipe and it's contents, and that the lowest thermal conductivity is used when calculating thermal transfer?

All of the pipes sections weigh the same - 100kg, the largest mass of liquid that can go into a pipe section to be calculated is 10Kg. So right off the bat the pipe contents are 1/10th the mass and are already so any contents in the pipe will already have a lower thermal effective conductivity than the pipe just based on mass.

Mass only affects the amount of heat that's transferred.  In ONI, it's not considered when determining the speed of said transfer.

From the codes used in the game, there are several components that determines the speed of heat transfer, including the difference in temperature I believe.  However,  the most important variables are the specific heat of the two substances and the lower thermal conductivity of the two.

Part of the calculation uses the product of all 3 numbers.  This is why I used the product of all 3 for various scenarios in determining which one can transfer heat the "fastest".

10 kg of Mercury at 100C in 20C non-insulated pipes changes pipe temperature in one second by...

Wolframite: +10.44489C
Tungsten: +10.44489C
Abyssalite: 0C
Sandstone: +0.6949158C
Granite: +0.8167419C

Polluted Water...

Wolframite: +0.8619995C
Tungsten: +0.8619995C
Sandstone: +0.1448059C
Granite: +0.146637C

Crude Oil...

Wolframite: +2.941956C
Tungsten: +2.941956C
Sandstone: +0.4985352C
Granite: +0.5048523C

Mercury in insulated pipe...

Wolframite: +2.729065C
Tungsten: +2.729065C
Sandstone: +0.1741943C
Granite: +0.204834C

Molten Steel in insulated pipe at 0.25 seconds (1 sim step)...

Wolframite: +1.399261C
Tungsten: +5.597015C
Sandstone: +0.0453186C
Granite: +0.0536499C

Molten Steel in insulated pipe in 10 cycles...

Wolframite: +21.17987C
Tungsten: +21.17969C
Sandstone: +4.552032C
Granite: +4.605957C

If the 10 cycles happened all at once...

Abyssalite: +0.0007629395C

Edit: Think I got the specific heat capacity right now.

1 minute ago, The Plum Gate said:

@Risu, I know you may still be editing that above, but what are the pipes sitting in? Vacuum?

Took the code out of the game and I'm plugging numbers in.

There is no interaction between the pipe contents and the environment.
Only through the pipe itself. Would have to figure out the simulator side of the code for that interaction.
Would be the same as every other building at that point.

Well this doesn't seem... right...

10 kg Water at geyser temperature in 20C insulated pipes after 1 cycle... Water temp on left, pipe on right.

Wolframite: -13.51624C +52.66516C
Tungsten: -13.51624C +52.66516C
Abyssalite: 0C 0C
Sandstone: -23.33798C +15.24203C
Granite: -23.30057C +15.4101C

Non-insulated...

Wolframite: -4.523132C +70.39325C
Tungsten: -4.523132C +70.39325C
Sandstone: -16.48618C +43.04526C
Granite: -16.39758C +43.35568C

10 kg Water at 5C in 50C insulated pipes...

Wolframite: +8.11087C -31.59222C
Tungsten: +8.11087C -31.59222C
Sandstone: +13.99811C -9.143494C
Granite: +13.97699C -9.245056C

Non-insulated...

Wolframite: +2.71463C -42.20172C
Tungsten: +2.71463C -42.20172C
Sandstone: +9.891907C -25.82141C
Granite: +9.838776C -26.00763C

Ok. I ran a test. Everything was primed for 10 cycles first to get temps in vent etc equalized. Then everything was repainted in and run for 50 cycles. The below picture is the resulting temperatures after 50 cycles.

I used Wolframite (W), Granite (G), Sandstone (S) pipes. It only runs through the static medium chambers with hotter or colder water. Everywhere else pipes are abyssalite. The outer 3 on each side has 2000g/s flow, and the inner 6 has 200g/s flow.

It was surprising to me that flow rate didn't have any effect on the cooling/heating effect on the static medium.

Wolframite was overall the worst performer but was better at cooling the static medium than granite. Sandstone performed the best or were tied for best in all cases. Interestingly, while granite was especially poor at cooling the static medium it was tied with sandstone for heating the static medium.

2017-09-17.png

I've run some additional tests with pipes, and... Let's just say the result is not what I expected.

I did a simple liquid pipe radiator setup to see how Wolframite, Granite, and Sandstone fare compare to each other, using liquid oxygen.

testsetup.thumb.png.7441b1dd51d42fd855261c0fd1480716.png

All the tiles are made of Abyssalite.  Pipes are made with Wolframite, Granite, and Sandstone, for the sections inside the chamber.  Other sections are made from Abyssalite.

Scenario 1:

500kg Liquid Oxygen, -215C

Vaccum Chamber (with pipes primed to -180C)

Results:

Wolframite: -202.4C (End Product Temp)

Granite: -194.7C (End Product Temp)

Sandstone: -194.6C (End Product Temp)

Scenario 2:

Polluted Oxygen, 1kg per tile, -180C Chamber (with pipes primed to -180C)

Results:

Wolframite: -202.1C (End Product Temp)

Granite: -196.5C (End Product Temp)

Sandstone: -196.5C (End Product Temp)

Scenario 2:

Polluted Oxygen, 2kg per tile, -180C Chamber (with pipes primed to -180C)

Results:

Wolframite: -201.5C (End Product Temp)

Granite: -196.5C (End Product Temp)

Sandstone: -196.4C (End Product Temp)

Scenario 3:

Polluted Oxygen, 10kg per tile, -180C Chamber (with pipes primed to -180C)

Results:

Wolframite: -198.1C (End Product Temp)

Granite: -196.1C (End Product Temp)

Sandstone: -196.1C (End Product Temp)

Scenario 4:

Polluted Oxygen, 100kg per tile, -180C Chamber (with pipes primed to -180C)

Results:

Wolframite: -194.9C (End Product Temp)

Granite: -195.1C (End Product Temp)

Sandstone: -194.7C (End Product Temp)

Observations and conclusions:

1. Granite and Sandstone Pipes seemingly absorb heat better than Wolframite Pipes, but this is actually a product of its low specific heat.  When you have a greater temperature difference, or something else the wolframite pipe can dump/suck the heat, it will perform better.

2. Because of Wolframite's low specific heat, it also make the temperature in the chamber colder/hotter.  In the case of oxygen liquefier, wolframite pipes were able to produce more liquid oxygen and faster.

3. Granite and Sandstone pipes are pretty much the same in terms of performance, with Sandstone pipes being slightly better.

So, as far as oxygen liquefier using liquid oxygen, Wolframite will be able to do the job better.  The only caveat would be that it just might make the liquid oxygen inside the pipe heat up too fast and break the pipes, but if you somehow manage to find some kind of sweet spot, than Wolframite is what you want to use.

I'm going to run some more tests on Wolframite pipes and other combinations to see how it'd perform.

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Ok. I ran a test. Everything was primed for 10 cycles first to get temps in vent etc equalized. Then everything was repainted in and run for 50 cycles. The below picture is the resulting temperatures after 50 cycles.

Saturnus, you can actually prime the temps in vents and pipes by painting the area with 10000kg of whatever gas at the temperature you want.  It'll prime your system instantly.

Archived