Geysers for Magma, Ice

One of the most challenging parts of ONI is temperature management. Cold zones get warmed so easily, and magma cools and becomes rock. How about geysers for magma that replenishes the heat and keeps it molten and vice versa for something cold. Not sure what would make the most sense for cold, but magma geysers make perfect sense to me. Great game. Love it and appreciate the work that goes in! 

13 hours ago, Epilogue1212 said:

One of the most challenging parts of ONI is temperature management. Cold zones get warmed so easily, and magma cools and becomes rock. How about geysers for magma that replenishes the heat and keeps it molten and vice versa for something cold. Not sure what would make the most sense for cold, but magma geysers make perfect sense to me. Great game. Love it and appreciate the work that goes in! 

Considering that magma cools, it would either block its own geyser, or melt everything around it, and if it stays hot enough to fil the room the geyser is in then your dupes cannot do anything with it?

A geyser works by pressure building up, so Gasses work, Solids not as much (though still possible) The aquatuner does help with the temperature management though now.

16 hours ago, Epilogue1212 said:

ow about geysers for magma that replenishes the heat and keeps it molten and vice versa for something cold.

Wheezeworts are the "cold geysers" that keep the ice biome cold and they do this relatively well if it stays mostly insulated. If it was harder to warm up the ice biome than it is now, cooling in general would probably get too easy.

For cooling, I'd like the voids back. Dump heat in fluid, dump fluid in void.

For extreme heating, I assume the Klei team has some plans for burners. There are the refined metals in the files and they can even be produced in the game.

Still, having magma spout spawn near the lowest point on the map (possibly already entombed) and having a cold geyser could be really fun short term fixes to this. Chlorine would be a good candidate for the cool liquid, since it is pretty useless, so there would be a dilemma of making chlorine to cool things down vs. not making it not to have to deal with this useless crap.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

For cooling, I'd like the voids back. Dump heat in fluid, dump fluid in void.

Because of their description and look, I'm assuming that void tiles are supposed to be outer space and that they'll be on the surface of the asteroid when we will be able to go there, so there's a good chance that they'll officially be introduced into the game that way (by the way, voids were never meant to be in the game, they only appeared because of bugs in world gen and I think they can actually still appear).

For extreme heating, I assume the Klei team has some plans for burners. There are the refined metals in the files and they can even be produced in the game.

More importantly there's the smelter, which can liquefy metals and thus get extremely hot.

Chlorine would be a good candidate for the cool liquid, since it is pretty useless, so there would be a dilemma of making chlorine to cool things down vs. not making it not to have to deal with this useless crap.

It wouldn't really make sense and it could also pretty unbalanced because I remember correctly, chlorine actually has a pretty large heat capacity so I think that makes it not very suitable for that role. Also I still think that a geyser that produces cold materials would make cooling too easy, unless they fix all the heat deletion that exists with building inputs and outputs.

Archived