Gas bottler and gas bottle emptier

Unlike their liquid counterparts, these should be tied to the gas pipe network. A gas bottler would make a bottle of gas from whatever the pipe brings to it (up to certain limit, e.g. 2 kg of gas, or until a different gas packet arrives), and gas bottle emptier should dump contents of delivered gas bottle into a pipe. For balance, the bottler or even both could be powered.

The idea behind it is, when I need to fill e.g. a room or a closed pipe loop with particular gas (in my case it is most often hydrogen), it is too cumbersome to pull a pipe around the whole colony. It would make things much easier to just build a gas bottler near my electrolyzers, and gas bottle emptier at the destination, and let the dupes carry the (relatively small amount of) gas needed.

I think they shouldn't be tied to the gas network, I think there just wouldn't be enough reasons for them to exist if their only purpose was to do the exact same thing that a line of gas pipes does. Although now that I think about it, unlike with liquids, there aren't any buildings that need gases delivered to them in the early game, so by the time you need anything to deliver gas to, you can easily set up gas pumps. Also it would be harder to use it to bottle specific gases, as gases move around a lot.
So maybe if they exist, they actually should be tied to the gas network. Hmm, I'm unsure whether I think that a gas bottler and bottle emptier are needed or not.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

I think they shouldn't be tied to the gas network, I think there just wouldn't be enough reasons for them to exist if their only purpose was to do the exact same thing that a line of gas pipes does

In my opinion, a gas pipe is overkill if it's only used once or occasionally for minuscule gas amounts. For instance I built a wheezewort-powered cooler at my geyser. I needed to fill its room with hydrogen - 24 kg of hydrogen total. And I needed to build 100+ tiles worth of pipe to get the hydrogen to the room. It would be much less hassle if my dupes could just deliver the hydrogen in bottles.

Similarly I have a few CO2-filled farms. They only need about 1 kg of additional CO2 per cycle to stay at pressure but I still need to have a pipe that goes there, full of CO2 that doesn't move most of the time.

People also don't pull gas pipes everywhere - you build one if you're going to use a lot of the gas, or if the distance is short. But a lot of the time, you just buy a gas pressure bottle and attach it to your machine because it's easier and cheaper than to build a pipe.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

Also it would be harder to use it to bottle specific gases, as gases move around a lot.

There's that thing called gas filter in the game.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

There's that thing called gas filter in the game.

I meant if there was a gas bottler that works like the liquid bottler (I know that's not what you suggested, I was thinking about reasons why my own idea might not work).
Also now that I thought about it some more, I agree with your suggestion.
Also I have two ideas for it, first, the gas bottler could be a compressor, it would make sense and also explain why it would use up power and second, I think the gas bottle emptier shouldn't need to be connected to a gas pipe. It would seem kind of weird having to build a pipe with a vent to release the gas into instead of just directly releasing the gas and I don't think it would make it much easier, it would just prevent the unnecessary hassle of building a pipe and a vent for it (for the bottler it would still make sense to have it connected to a pump to fill it, because that doesn't happen by itself).

Archived