Changes to decor.

Decor as it works now is rather weird imo, you can just spam painting and statues. 

i would suggest to make lightning of areas to be more critical in decor value, so that art is best appreciated in good lightning.

I would almost suggest to change Decor to comfort, it would fit current decor system too, lots of rubble on floor would make you uncomfortable, well decorated surroundings would make you feel more comfortable, good lightning would do the same, better and more hygienic waste disposals would be more comfortable, better food etc etc

and i think a comfort system would be easier to understand then the current decor system which is all to easy just to spam paintings.

maybe have it so that working outside in bad areas don't immediately lower comfort, but slowly erode it depending on type of work and being in good surroundings increases it over time, it would make relaxation areas and maybe social areas for dupes usefull.

I believe they said in one of their streams that the decor thing is something on their list of stuff to work out. I'm interested/curious to see what they do. I assume the easiest solution would just to be to increase the decor radius from given decor.

And while klei can obviously do whatever they want, I think they have all the basic systems in place that are going to be in the game - just a matter of refining them. I'll find the post they made about the outbreak update that leads me to this thought process.

On 8/31/2017 at 8:17 PM, Bigfoot said:

Additionally, while we agree that a new system was not the most requested feature in the game, we felt strongly that we needed to bite the bullet and work on building out the base systems before digging deeper into those systems.

5 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

I believe they said in one of their streams that the decor thing is something on their list of stuff to work out. I'm interested/curious to see what they do. I assume the easiest solution would just to be to increase the decor radius from given decor.

When they showed off the new paintings they said that they want to change decor but that those changes won't make it into the Outbreak Upgrade.

6 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

And while klei can obviously do whatever they want, I think they have all the basic systems in place that are going to be in the game - just a matter of refining them. I'll find the post they made about the outbreak update that leads me to this thought process.

Here it is:

"With the latest update, we believe the core systems are now in place"

I think the best solution would be to not have decor of the same type stack.  This would de-incentivize spamming as only the highest decor would apply to a given tile.   Then, add other types of 'decor' that also don't stack with themselves, but do stack with different types.  So Art would be a type, light, music (wall speakers), structures, flora and fauna, etc.    In this way people would be encouraged to mix their stuff, and try to integrate as much as possible.

For instance right now who uses briars once they have art?  They're inferior in every way unless you can't fit a statue in that spot.   But with different types and no stacking within a given type, there's no reason to put statues and paintings so often.  If you put plants in between that will stack.  So all of a sudden briars are a good resource still, and they could have additional plants that give even higher decor (but more finicky in atmosphere for instance).  And you would start to see more sane amounts of art.  You could even have aquariums, or space hamsters (rare albino boarats?), which could provide benefits as well, at the cost of some food.

just within the sound genre, small wall speakers would give some minor decor, while record players (1x2) would be better, jukeboxes (2x2) would be even better, and live music (3x3) the best, but also takes a dupe to produce (live would only be practical in gathering areas, like cafeterias.  Or if recreation became a thing).  It would also add another use for the Art stat.

There's possibilities for a wide and wondrous system well outside of art.

I think there's probably a better solution than just not making decor types stack. I'd prefer if there was a more dynamic system than just needing every type of decor, a dupe in a nice looking base with good food shouldn't be unhappy just because they can't listen to music. Maybe dupes could have different preferences for decor. Although, some stress things like good food quality and light should probably over time become mandatory for happy dupes.

5 hours ago, Michi01 said:

a dupe in a nice looking base with good food shouldn't be unhappy just because they can't listen to music.

Right, I'm not saying they'll be sad if they don't have them all.  But, as their expectations go up, you will start to need more 'good mood things'.  Beyond static 'decor' items, there's already massage tables, food quality as you say, there could be recreation, socializing, etc.  That allows the player to address increased dupe expectations in a lot of ways.  Right now, you don't *have* to put art anywhere early on.  But if you have other bad factors, then you'll need to counter them, or suffer.  Same principle.  Also, by not allowing them to stack, Klei could add more breadth to art skill.  I don't think the player should be able to pick starting dupes that can already make masterpieces.  I think masterpieces should require art skill around 16 or maybe higher, so a trained artist dupe becomes really valuable.  Then, there could be many more gradations of art.  That could compensate to some degree, for not being able to stack the bonuses.

Archived