Poluted water Evaporation

Since the OU patch, I've noticed a little change in how polluted water works. Before, if you covered your septic tank with polluted water with a layer of CO2, the water would no longer evaporate and make polluted oxygen. Now, even if covered with such a lay, it still produces polluted oxygen.
This makes storing it a pain, as it will continuously make polluted oxygen you have to deal with. Sure, a deoderizer takes care of it, and there's plenty of sand to keep one going there, but ultimately unless you set up an oxygen liquification/purification plant to deal with it, it'll be a thorough pain in the neck.

Anyone found a way to stop it from bubbling out pO2?

Thanks, yeah, I'll do that. And yes, I agree, any clean water that comes in contact with (more) polluted water should become polluted as well.
So a single tile of polluted water in your clean water tank shouldn't be an issue, but dripping clean water into polluted would make all of it polluted.

This would open up another can of worms though, as it would allow you to make polluted water on demand. As polluted water is a resource for several things, such as certain plants, fertiliser etc. this might make 'making' polluted water too easy.

11 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Anyone found a way to stop it from bubbling out pO2?

Yeah, they changed it in OU so that as long as you have gas above PH2O, it will convert.

I believe vaccum still prevents it from converting though, but will have to test to confirm.

(I'm one of those who welcomes the change since I don't need to constantly pumping CO2 off of my PH2O now lol)

Polluted water really should just be water with a contamination attribute and coloring. That way when you have a little pw, mixed with a lot of normal water, it dilutes down and affects all the water its mixed with. Bacteria though can slowly convert it all into polluted water.

1 hour ago, brummbar7 said:

@suicide commando Drop a thin layer of pure water on top of it.  Pure water floats on PW, stopping the outgassing.  Though Imo pure water should be turned to PW upon touching it.

If this happened....Dupe makes a mess and you lose all that clean water XD its actually because I dont like them mixing that my clean water is behind a locked door haha

51 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Yeah, they changed it in OU so that as long as you have gas above PH2O, it will convert.

I believe vaccum still prevents it from converting though, but will have to test to confirm.

(I'm one of those who welcomes the change since I don't need to constantly pumping CO2 off of my PH2O now lol)

Yup. A vacuum prevents polluted water from gassing. It seems to check if there's a gas above it. A pure water layer or a vacuum are not gases so it doesn't. A bit curious that the game handles a vacuum more or less like a liquid.

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

If this happened....Dupe makes a mess and you lose all that clean water XD

Yep, that's part of the point.  But also I actually like having PW offgas now, as with deoxidizers as they are now it's basically free oxygen.  I accidentally got a bit of clean water on top of my PW offgassing pool, and it is a real pain to remove a thin layer of clean water!  But even assuming Klei nerfs those, I still think PW should convert any clean water it touches.  It would compel players to be more careful with their water supply.

3 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

One thing.. bottled PW shouldn't off-gas.  I mean, if the dupes can keep hydrogen in a bottle from leaking out, then they can certainly keep polluted oxygen from leaking from a bottle.  

Yeah, I find this particularly annoying and illogical as well.

20 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

@suicide commando Drop a thin layer of pure water on top of it.  Pure water floats on PW, stopping the outgassing.  Though Imo pure water should be turned to PW upon touching it.

When I was last testing this a couple patches ago normal water turned to polluted water when 3 sides of it had polluted water. You could make a funnel and have the 2 sides with small gap and polluted water in there. When drops of pure water drop in it would turn into polluted water. Then just have a hydro switch to keep the polluted water level at the right level. It might break sometimes, but works most of the time

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

One thing.. bottled PW shouldn't off-gas.  I mean, if the dupes can keep hydrogen in a bottle from leaking out, then they can certainly keep polluted oxygen from leaking from a bottle.  

The problem is that players could just leave them lying around without consequences if it wouldn't do that.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

except the decor hit. I'd be fine with that. It'd be like any other bottle then.

With the current system it doesn't really matter because you can just spam decor, but I guess it could work if they rework stress and decor and make it matter.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:26 AM, Michi01 said:

With the current system it doesn't really matter because you can just spam decor, but I guess it could work if they rework stress and decor and make it matter.

Well, you're not really going to just leave them laying around.  They'll get scouped up to water pinchapeppers or emptied into reservoirs with the bottle emptier -- but the point of it was that none of the other bottles leak anything.  On the other hand... from my survival game, the bottles appear to off-gas at a higher rate than a pool of water. This could be exploited -- trickle some water into your production room, then bottle it up.  Do this several times.  Seal up the room and pump out the gas to your favorite form of PO2 -> O2 conversion.

Since my current survival game appears to not have any water geysers, I may have to try that.

Archived