Making some resources only appear at certain depths and ideas for geyser variety

So because it's very possible that crude oil will be added in the next update, I thought it'd be interesting if we would had to always dig down to find it and that brought me to the idea of generally making certain things or biomes only appear at certain depths (or giving them a tendency to appear at certain depths).
For example, oil geysers or biomes containing them could always appear towards the bottom of the map. I can't think of other specific examples for biomes, although more biomes will be added in the future and the surface of the asteroid could be considered a biome with a specific location when it is added.
Also perhaps the location of minerals could depend less on biomes and more on the depth within the asteroid.
Having set depths for certain resources would give players a better idea of where they have to look for something if they want it while still keeping exploration interesting, while currently exploration is mostly just digging into random directions in hopes of finding something.
The second reason I'm making this topic, because I didn't really think it was necessary to start two separate threads for these two things, is to suggest more variety in geysers and collect ideas for that. Currently we have three geysers and a crude oil geyser will likely be added with the next update and there might be more in the future, like a propane geyser. However, it would be a bit boring if all of these would be the same geyser with just a different color and I think it'd be nice if instead they'd all look different and have different names.
The only example I could come up with for now is turning natural gas geysers into mud volcanos. Mud volcanos exist in real life and erupt with mud and methane (it could just be methane in the game). This would also add a reason to rename natural gas back to methane, which was its original name. This would solve the problem of naming it in its liquid and solid form (it's just called "methane" in those states because it'd be weird for a liquid or solid to be called "natural gas") and it would also make more sense, because natural gas is usually only used as a name for gas that formed underground over millions of years, which makes it weird that flatulent dupes and fertilizer synthesizers produce it, while this wouldn't be an issue if it was called methane.
If they were changed to mud volcanoes, they would also fit even better into the swamp biome (I'm assuming it's possible that steam and natural gas geysers will be made exclusive to the swamp again once the biomes are more fleshed out).
Please share your opinion and ideas below.

I have a feeling that Oil might be hidden behind Neutronium, which the players cannot dig through but have to drill into? The only other thing I could imagine is players can make a machine which drills into the 3rd wall and can extract (X)g/s of oil if put on an oil node. (This would require research for the machine that can locate it and a machine which can drill/harvest it) This way Oil is like a geyser but also not something a player can have straight away, plus it means if a player builds their base and find out its on an oil node they will have to work about fixing that.

Archived