Use the lamp senseless!

I will bring back an other idea trying to improve this great game. And.. Why duplicants can work so fast without light that with it? i think a real base  would have lots of lights on the roof, to improve in your work more faster than if u are in the dark. something like cooking,  reserch, or build some object or cable/pipe in a  illuminated area should be faster doing in the illuminated areas, of course, you could use the new Shine Bug and seize the moment.

Write your opinion about this. 

I'm sure light will matter more at some point. Some possibilities that come to mind:

• A direct stress penalty for lack of light.
  • The light requirement on bristle blossoms, but on a plant that people actually want to use
  • A different effect on decor (perhaps a multiplier instead of just additive)
  • A work speed bonus or penalty
  • Hazardous creatures that are "invisible" if they are located on a dark tile.

12 minutes ago, Ciderblock said:

The light requirement on bristle blossoms, but on a plant that people actually want to use

I think instead they should turn bristle blossoms into a plant that people actually want to use (although it'd be nice to have more than one plant that needs light in the future).

I've stated in another thread that light should be split into three categories: Bright Light, Dim Light, and Darkness.  The light currently provided by ceiling lights and lamps would be bright light and it would provide a stress reduction.  I would have the radius for Dim Light twice that of Bright Light, providing no additional effects.  Darkness would be any area devoid of Bright or Dim Light and would provide a stress increase.  This would encourage players to build light systems in the bowels of their bases, in access tunnels, mines, etc.

Of course any expansion of the lighting system demands a Nyctophobia trait.

1 hour ago, gobokin said:

This would encourage players to build light systems in the bowels of their bases, in access tunnels, mines, etc.

To avoid having to put up light bulbs in every area that we dig out, they could add lanterns (that come at a cost, of course).

Unless they make the game darker from the players perspective I wont care. There's plenty of light already. They could add more darkness on a graphics shader or something. Make the dupes eyes penetrate the layer so they can look funny as they emote.

eyesinthedark.jpg.dd060c28113a56421f676a5e9191f64c.jpg

Well, it's obvious that the duplicants are spliced with moles (Mole Hands, see in the dark) and either porpoises/dolphins, for how long they can hold their breath and since they can detect walls, ladders, and jumpable points in the dark with sonar.  Since they have the ability to feel the differences in colors for unlit masterpiece portraits, they have incredibly sensitive touch receptors, so possibly crickets as well.  Finally, I believe there's a bit of sloth mixed in, with how narcoleptic my colonies can get on occasion...

Anyways, that's my working theory. XD

7 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Well, it's obvious that the duplicants are spliced with moles (Mole Hands, see in the dark) and either porpoises/dolphins, for how long they can hold their breath and since they can detect walls, ladders, and jumpable points in the dark with sonar.  Since they have the ability to feel the differences in colors for unlit masterpiece portraits, they have incredibly sensitive touch receptors, so possibly crickets as well.  Finally, I believe there's a bit of sloth mixed in, with how narcoleptic my colonies can get on occasion...

Anyways, that's my working theory. XD

So basically Bing Bong from Inside Out?

22 hours ago, Michi01 said:

I think instead they should turn bristle blossoms into a plant that people actually want to use (although it'd be nice to have more than one plant that needs light in the future).

That plant being bristle blossoms is fine, I was comparing it to OU's bristle blossoms, which are useless except as a self-imposed challenge.

6 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Glow in the dark suits - it should be a thing... Give me a reason to use that textile factory.

yes i think like u, we have limited textile factory, now we have the bottles we should be able to create a cloth with bottles of O2 to improve the work in C02/Chlorile/hydrogen/Natural gas AND CAN WORK IN SLIMELUNG AREAS!

10 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Glow in the dark suits - it should be a thing... Give me a reason to use that textile factory.

Or lanterns. In think suits might be used more if they improve the UI for them and make them require less micomanaging.

While we're on the subjects of lights, I'd like to see flashing lights added to the game at some point.  They'd serve absolutely no practical purpose, but the aesthetics of flashing yellow or red lights during in certain rooms or during emergencies would be quite satisfying.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:29 AM, gobokin said:

I've stated in another thread that light should be split into three categories: Bright Light, Dim Light, and Darkness.  The light currently provided by ceiling lights and lamps would be bright light and it would provide a stress reduction.  I would have the radius for Dim Light twice that of Bright Light, providing no additional effects.  Darkness would be any area devoid of Bright or Dim Light and would provide a stress increase.  This would encourage players to build light systems in the bowels of their bases, in access tunnels, mines, etc.

Of course any expansion of the lighting system demands a Nyctophobia trait.

Very nice idea, for extra add wire lamp which provide dim light, so dont need lamp for every corner or every tunnel. Like cable from astroneer game

Archived