Cooking: Priority Instead of Queue

The cooking stations should be a priority system instead of a queue. In the beginning of the game you get access to three foods: muck bars, meal lice, and bristle berry. Once I had access to the grill, I wanted to make sure any food I got was cooked to help reduce the chance of food poisoning. The only way I found in game to accomplish this is to setup three different grills (in this case), each with their own queue of food or micro-manage the one grill I have and constantly change the queue.

I don't think building multiple grills for different food types is a probem. The problem is that the queue only knows numbers 1 and infinity. Using +1, cooking for the whole colony for one day gets rather tedious. And with infinity you usually quickly end up with more food than you can eat.

What I would like is a "keep amount of food A between X and Y" settng on all cooking buildings. So I could set it up to cook fried mushrooms and keep them between 10000 and 20000 calories. And when my fried mushroom stock drops below 10000, a dupe would start frying and would stop when it reaches 20000.

As an additional to the idea of keeping x calories in the base, I'd like to see them be able to get past Slot A = Continuous, Slot B = Ignored.  Hey, look, we're out of stuff for Slot A... let's make the stuff in Slot B!  Right now until they can complete the beginning of the queue, they can't get to the next item.

Archived