Natural gas geysers way too imba

Is it just me, or did everybody notice how imba natural gas geysers are? I can feed like 10 natural gas generators from one geyser? I mean we did struggle for a power source that is endless, and does not use the whole dupe power to just maintain stuff, but this is an overkill, either gas geysers should be nerfed by like ... 5-10 times++? Or natural gas generators.

You must be draining your geyser's supply. You just haven't played enough cycles yet. I do agree that if you get lucky with a geyser early, earlygame power is super easy. I kinda liked how it was before: each geyser supplying less, but there were more spawns of them.

One geyser currently supports about 2.5-2.66 generators. Obviously you can supplement this with fert makers though. My colony at 500+ cycles has 2 geysers, with 42 fert makers, that supposedly supply 20.25 generators...but because fert makers sometimes go to 21.6g/s instead of 20g/s (not sure why this is or how it happens), I can supply about 21 generators. Haven't gone through enough cycles under the same setup to be exact, but thats a rough estimate.

Okaaay, I only tried 4 generators so far, but seeing that my pressure is always on 5k for natural gas I assumed I can add at least 10-15 more, tho even if it's just 4. It's still a bit of "WAY TOO MUCH". I mean back when we made power from converting cont water -> pure water -> hydrog -> power, it barely gave enough power to support 5-6 dupe colony, by draining 5 blocks o water a cycle. That was overkill, and needed a boost at least 4-5 times, but with gas geysers, it's basically boosted around 25 times and you also go unlim supply of c.water.

6 hours ago, Gravityx said:

You must be draining your geyser's supply. You just haven't played enough cycles yet.

Does that mean at some point geyser will die and there'll be no more gas? I guess It's okay if thats the way it works, tho then there is a limit on cycles a colony can live, given the world isn't endless

39 minutes ago, IvanX said:

Does that mean at some point geyser will die and there'll be no more gas? I guess It's okay if thats the way it works, tho then there is a limit on cycles a colony can live, given the world isn't endless

No, but if you don't pump any natural gas out of the geyser's chamber, it will slowly fill it up until the chamber is full. So when you initially open the chamber, you can use more than the geyser is producing until the chamber is empty. From then on you can only get as much as the geyser is actually producing.

47 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

When did they change the cycles of the NGG? I noticed it now emits 750 g/s for x seconds and it only emits when its erupting. It no longer does this while it's building pressure.

I thought geysers have always only emitted something while erupting and not while building up pressure, but I'm not sure. I think the pressure buildup is supposed to be inside of the geyser.

30 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I thought geysers have always only emitted something while erupting and not while building up pressure, but I'm not sure. I think the pressure buildup is supposed to be inside of the geyser.

This is [[OUTDATED]] information from the ONI gamepedia page.

Spoiler

Natural Gas Geysers are found in Slime Biomes and are a renewable source of Natural Gas. Every 600 seconds (once a Cycle), it goes through a cycle of inactivity and eruption, to producing a total of 60 kg of Natural Gas, or an average of 100 g/s at 99.55°C).

• 100 seconds: inactive, "rising pressure"
  • 100 seconds: emitting 0.06 kg/s of Natural Gas at 150 °C (6 kg total), "venting"
  • 370 seconds: emitting 0.12 kg/s of Natural Gas at 95 °C (45 kg total), "venting"
  • 30 seconds: emitting 0.3 kg/s of Natural Gas 95 °C (9 kg total), "venting"

During the eruption, emission can be blocked by over-pressurization; the maximum pressure it will emit at is 5 kg.

The in game tooltips in an older version may have been incorrect, or maybe I misread. But nonetheless these cycles are no longer accurate and I was wondering if anyone is aware of the actual average output of the geyser now. I've tried measuring myself, but I keep getting different numbers.

Well from the measurements I got, the natural gas geyser emits 750g/s for 60 seconds for a total of 45Kg of Natural Gas. The total time for it to cycle through emitting, inactive, and rising pressure takes 280 seconds, giving us an average of 160.7g/s of Natural Gas.

19 hours ago, IvanX said:

Is it just me, or did everybody notice how imba natural gas geysers are? I can feed like 10 natural gas generators from one geyser? I mean we did struggle for a power source that is endless, and does not use the whole dupe power to just maintain stuff, but this is an overkill, either gas geysers should be nerfed by like ... 5-10 times++? Or natural gas generators.

Natural Gas Generators require 60g/s of NatGas to run, so each geyser can only run roughly 2.67 generators or 3 generators with 89% up time.

As others have mentioned, I too am assuming that by the time you got to your geyser, it had built up gas. Each tile can hold 5Kg of Natural Gas, so yes, when you initially find a geyser, you could run a massive amount of natural gas generators, but once you deplete the built up gas, you will only be able to run 2.67 generators.

Before the update, NG Geysers averaged at 100g/s of NatGas; therefore they could run 1.67 generators. They've only increased how much power we can get by 1 generator, so don't think it's overkill by anymeans.

It emits gas and stops. If u place a pump there it will emit for 30-60 secs and stop it's not OP and it's balanced. Why you had 5 KG because when you found it, it was filled and pressurised before you found it. Once you pumped it all it just rises pressure and stops.

No, not really, min had 5k all the time, even 20 cycles after i started harvesting it, but yes, I only had 4 generators, No idea why the gas wasn't going down with 4, if the calculation is 2.67, maybe it reduced farming for some reason

After playing a few more games I figured that geysers are SO rare, that basically, its okay if you find ONE and it will actually give you something, lol, I'd rather have them give 2x less, but be 2-3x more frequent

On 9/7/2017 at 4:55 PM, IvanX said:

No, not really, min had 5k all the time, even 20 cycles after i started harvesting it, but yes, I only had 4 generators, No idea why the gas wasn't going down with 4, if the calculation is 2.67, maybe it reduced farming for some reason

Without the save file I can't verify, but I"m assuming 1 of 2 things. 1 you had a bugged geyser or 2 you weren't depleting the gas fast enough for it to balance out.

Either way, geysers don't/are not supposted produce 5k of gas constantly.  So they are not overpowered.

And as far as them giving half as much gas but spawning more frequentyly.. No.  Just no. Half the gas output would make each geyser only be able to support 1.33 generators, which is worse than what it was in AU. 

Geysers aren't the only source of power as their is hydrogen and coal. And if all else fails, you still have manual power.

U can have 6.8 generator.. reuse polluted water to make more natural gas ... 

Brothgar video here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c938TrCx3gs

yea they are too imba same as steam geysers  .. u need only a litle of water to run evering.  with 2 comobos ( electorlizer + hydrogen generator ) and ( air scrub +fert. maker+N. gas generator ) bdw best way to deal whit a germs is to use  that water in fert. maker in close environment they dont like N. gas and slowly die.

Well the fertilizer maker not imba in my opinion. There is not much polluted water production to keep up with 8+ maker, lets say u run more toilet, bathroom or co2 scrubber. Try it , wont be long till you ran out pollutted water than u can produce. Add pepper farm ,no pwater left for fert maker

3 hours ago, Botaxalim said:

Well the fertilizer maker not imba in my opinion. There is not much polluted water production to keep up with 8+ maker, lets say u run more toilet, bathroom or co2 scrubber. Try it , wont be long till you ran out pollutted water than u can produce. Add pepper farm ,no pwater left for fert maker

i'm on cycle 400 with 30 fert makers, every cycle i have more and more polluted water saved up.  Sorry, you're doing it wrong.

13 minutes ago, trukogre said:

i'm on cycle 400 with 30 fert makers, every cycle i have more and more polluted water saved up.  Sorry, you're doing it wrong.

Wasn't aware a sandbox could be played wrong. And just because you're on cycle 400 with 30 fert makers doesn't mean that everyone will.  Sorry, you're being a positive contributor wrong.

nope you only need a small amaunt of clean water for the air scrubber to make polluted water+  N. gas generator output  and u will have exactly amount of polluted water for fertillizer makers .. there is no place for pepper farm in current build of the game  .. and in toilets you dont lose a water ... 

57 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

Wasn't aware a sandbox could be played wrong. And just because you're on cycle 400 with 30 fert makers doesn't mean that everyone will.  Sorry, you're being a positive contributor wrong.

Well, now you know.  I never said everyone will.  Letting someone know they're wrong when they think something is impossible is being positive, because it gives them more options.

Archived