6 out of 7 dupes down with Slimelung.

Just now, FistfulOfZen said:

Using the normal settings. This seems a bit extreme.

I play on weak/pessimistic and never died one of my dupes because of slimelung.
When you dig out slime, collect it quick, search for a location with a puff, place composter there too. When you dig out germsy stuff, put it in a locker inside a chlorine filled room to reduce germs. One way passages with outhouse at the end and washbin
Can you show your base?

It is not necessary to rush for slime biomes, I actually think they're meant for "later" game stages. I got beyond cycle 100 and 75% of map explored (4/5 geysers found) without entering slime biome. The only thing I don't have plenty of is gold amalgam but I do have enough to build those few buildings that really need it.

8 hours ago, FistfulOfZen said:

Heat is getting out of hand...

I use waterdrips to cool areas 15 g/sec . Around 20 tiles high and every 5th tile a step, where the drip creates the "whirl/vortex" animation at every step. When you have water for that, heat is not really a problem.

20 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

It is not necessary to rush for slime biomes,

In my last game it was, because not enough algae and really no water (geysir), uncovered 80% of map and than base failed. I was melting snow for water (heater) but efficiency crushed. Was the first time, game was hard (very cool!) on weak/pessimistic. Had 16 dupes, but without water, no chance. Map was filled up with chlorine everywhere, found the two NG and the one CG, but no WG. Biggest waterpocket on map was 6x3.
Startphase is most fun for me. I don't like to easy games, or cheats to locate geysirs or ressources.
I have fun with ONI  (bought it for my son) ^^

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

In my last game it was, because not enough algae and really no water

There is plenty of algae in phosphorite biomes, it's possible to go for very long without slime. Water is a tricky one but I found that most problems with it comes from using algae terrariums. These things are terrible waste of water. Using water only for washbasins, research and some air scrubing, the initial supply can last forever. Liceloaf may take some water but it's still nowhere near critical.

uncovered 80% of map and than base failed. I was melting snow for water (heater) but efficiency crushed. Was the first time, game was hard (very cool!) on weak/pessimistic. Had 16 dupes, but without water, no chance.

After uncovering so much of the map and most importantly having stock of chlorine, you should be more than ready to enter the slime. My comments were about people who rush to slime first thing they go out of the starting biome.

I'm playing the game on normal settings, and Slimelung is crushing.. Started from scratch, temperatures under control, when I ran out of space and had to dip into slime biomes, it became just a constant mess. There's no way to deal with it directly, and that's simply not "a game", and stops being fun.

36 minutes ago, FistfulOfZen said:

I'm playing the game on normal settings, and Slimelung is crushing.. Started from scratch, temperatures under control, when I ran out of space and had to dip into slime biomes, it became just a constant mess. There's no way to deal with it directly, and that's simply not "a game", and stops being fun.

I could be completely wrong, as I've not ventured much into the slimelung areas, but I thought I've seen multiple posts about how to handle slimelung. Some things to do is to store contaminated items in a chlorine room or extremely hot/cold water or an extremely hot/cold room. As far as curing the affliction, med beds are supposed to be doing this.

I will mess around in debug mode and see test some of these myself and report back.

Update: It appears that the medical cots do not cure slimelung and in fact the opposite occurred. A non infected dup treating an affected dup got afflicted with slimelung.

However, slime lung is killed by oxygen and liquids so it seems pretty easy to handle. Air deodorizers seem to kill the disease in polluted oxygen, and storing slime in a water source seems to take care of it from slime.Perhaps if you want to speed up the process store ice in those same storage lockers to lower the temperature?

If someone else wants to do a more in depth mess around with slimelung to get exact numbers they can, but from what I've tested and what I've read elsewhere, with proper planning, slimlung doesn't seem to be much of a problem. But that's just my opinion.

When you start the game with weak/pessimistic options, impact is bigger.
Really hard sometimes, based on mapluck/seed.

Fair enough. And I suppose that makes sense. Maybe there's too much of a difficulty gap between weak, normal, and strong immunity settings?

I personally don't see myself (yes I know I'm not everyone else and i'm not trying to speak for everyone else) running into slimelung as an issue. I have no desire to rush into the swamp biomes early game and by the time I need to, I should have precautions in place. But I could understand the difficulty settings needing to be tweaked.

Perhaps give us 5 settings: Very Weak (the current 'Weak) -10% immunity per cycle; Weak -5% per Cycle; Normal 0% per Cycle; Strong +5% per Cycle; and Very Strong (the current strong) +10% per cycle.

Or even just letting us choose our own value; therefore setting our own difficulty.

I'm not a programmer by any means, but I can't imagine it would be difficult to include either of these options.

9 hours ago, chaos0720 said:

Some things to do is to store contaminated items in a chlorine room or extremely hot/cold water or an extremely hot/cold room.

The true danger of slimelung is in the breathing it.  The worst cases are the PO pockets that spawned with slimelung in them, or pufts, who are a source.  Those pockets will become extremely dangerous oftentimes.  But even in the non-diseased pockets, what happens is, you dig in, drop some slime balls, they infect the PO from offgassing slime, and it goes downhill from there. 

Chlorine/cold storage do not really address the air-in-the-slime-biome aspect, they address the issue of slimelung filled algae mainly, preventing it from being used in deoxidizers and spreading via that route.  That is, unless you're flooding the slime biome with chlorine ahead of you, but that is a really messy solution, and high-pressure PO counteracts it.  

The easiest solution is just to spam deodorizers as you go in the slime biome.  Take it slow, let the deodorizers do their work.   If it's high pressure, make an air/water lock, have a dupe run in and do the deodorizer, then keep everyone out while it works.   It'll take a very, very, very long time to ever use all the sand on the map to purify the air, so don't hoard it.  It's quite satisfying to see that high-pressure PO turn into high pressure O2.  Way easier than liquefiers and whathaveyou.  Just as an example, around turn 120 I have 180,000 kg of sand.  The highest pressure PO I've ever seen was maybe 300kg.  I believe the deodorizer return is in the neighborhood of 75% O2 for sand (plus 10% loss in conversion)?  With that amount of sand I could purify nearly half a million such tiles.  I don't think there is anywhere near that much PO in the entire asteroid.  I fully expect deodorizers to be nerfed at some point. 

25 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

The I believe the deoxidizer return is in the neighborhood of 75% O2 for sand (plus 10% loss in conversion)?  With that amount of sand I could purify nearly half a million such tiles.  I don't think there is anywhere near that much PO in the entire asteroid.  I fully expect deodorizers to be nerfed at some point. 

I thought I saw somewhere that air deodorizes reduce the o2 mass by 50% with the other 50% being clay. (I could be wrong or outdated). But that aside, I agree with you and can definitely see a change in this conversion rate in the future.

11 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

I thought I saw somewhere that air deodorizes reduce the o2 mass by 50% with the other 50% being clay. (I could be wrong or outdated). But that aside, I agree with you and can definitely see a change in this conversion rate in the future.

I heard it turns 90% of the original mass into oxygen now. The clay's mass comes from the sand.

35 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I fully expect deodorizers to be nerfed at some point.

I'm not sure if it would be a good way of nerfing them, but I'm a bit surprised that they still don't consume power.

1 minute ago, Michi01 said:

I'm not sure if it would be a good way of nerfing them, but I'm a bit surprised that they still don't consume power.

Maybe you're onto something.. but I would like to raise your idea one step further.  Nerf air deodorizers by decreasing their conversion rate. Add a new building that requires power but converts Polluted O2 at the rate that the air deodorizes do now.

1 minute ago, chaos0720 said:

Maybe you're onto something.. but I would like to raise your idea one step further.  Nerf air deodorizers by decreasing their conversion rate. Add a new building that requires power but converts Polluted O2 at the rate that the air deodorizes do now.

I'd prefer if air deodorizers would just require power.

30 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I heard it turns 90% of the original mass into oxygen now. The clay's mass comes from the sand.

You're 100% accurate on this. 

The deodorizes now turn 100g/s polluted oxygen into 90g/s of regular o2. The other 10g/s combines with the sand to become clay (uses 133.3g/s sand and gives us 143.33 clay).

I get the chlorine "solution", but the Chlorine solution sometimes requires dipping into Slime biomes just to get to significant pockets of Chlorine to do anything with, and then there's all the time and hassle of building the air pumps, the rooms, sealing it in, etc. just to get a room safely ready for that. And that still might not stop the spread.

Right now, it's a bit heavy handed, and, assuming it's left the way it is, very likely something that the modding community will immediately nerf.

There are not bad solutions, but those solutions seem to requires a fairly elaborate amount of planning and resources (including time) to implement, on top of the time sink of the constant and futile disinfection, which is inexplicably ineffective against airborne Slimelung in particular.

Especially given that world generators are apparently heavy on slime biomes now, and cold biomes are much rarer, and usually on the opposite side of slime biomes. I'm going to start over on the same map, and try again. I'll put off breaking into any Slimelung biome until I absolutely cannot avoid it, and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Archived