Playing the game with no challenge mode.

For those that want to play this game in Sandbox you should give them that and let the rest of  us that are not afraid of the challenges you present us with play the game the way you invisioned it.  please give us back the old new research speed and please return the disease to close to what it was.  

I'm playing the current game on regular and there isn't much challenge, to it now.  It gone back to square one. I for one perfer the direction it was going in. to become harder as it goes not super easy free play mode that you nerfed it back to.. mostly for the people playing it on You Tube..and Twitch that come cry its to hard now.. I can't make money with your game if I cant play it in under 20 minutes.. bha!

I agree, but at the same time I'm ok with it taking a bit, as it is early access. To be fair, they did add 2 options to custom game (although right now, it still isn't much of a challenge). I hope for the next update to definitely include more options for a custom game. These could include research speed, "disease toxicity" (like you suggested be harder). I also suggest they even just add hard, medium, easy options to normal game screen...as some players probably didn't bother making a custom game , and ended up playing "medium" when they should have been playing "easy".

Don't Starve had a lot of options for customising games. I'm hopeful ONI will eventually have similar tools. I'd like toggles on the distribution of resources (oxyalite pockets, clean water, plants, monsters, geysers, diseases, etc), though I'm shameless about preferring sandbox romps over delicate resource juggling. 

I said it in another thread, but it's important for a game to be accessible to new players AND end-stage players. Some of the more experienced players rolled their eyes at the introduction of germs because they could take it in stride; for me, it decimated both my patchwork colony and my enthusiasm for trying again. That implementation of germs failed both groups, but I'm a little worried that there will be complexities that appeal to the experienced players while running the sandbox-newbies out of town. (I also suspect the forum population leans heavily away from casual players, because we're the least likely to seek out community.)

One of the strongest qualities of ONI is how a relatively small number of tools and elements combine. I've seen some amazing tutorials, and have quite a few bookmarked to try later. However, I think it's really important that players have the time/space to experiment and try things on their own, without getting wiped out by lethal complications. The tutorials should be a leg-up, not a requirement. Messy and evolving colonies should be able to survive, even if they waste some resources and look like crap. The reward of min-max/planned colonies should be efficiency, stability, and the satisfaction of non-suicidal dupes who don't have to mop as much urine. 

Archived