Medical cot you've got to be kidding me

"Runaway Patient." What is the point?  Don't they feel bad and want to rest?  Isn't the whole reason you need a toilet and food so close because they supposedly can't get up and walk any further than that?  You're guiding players into the solution of having a quarantined medical area, (which isn't even a perfect solution because the doctors  use the toilets and eat the food,) instead of letting people be creative.  Do you want to just give us a blueprint for the hospital that we're supposed to build?

This setup works until I put in an airlock.  When I put the airlock there, they suddenly can't reach the restroom.

59aae8f512879_Screenshot(215).thumb.png.e6b8e72f5cba1ba9b516dd5409f76368.png

59aae8fb9f2b8_Screenshot(214).thumb.png.d6c316f31dac8f5072d696423c86710c.png

(Sleep tight Bubbles - Stinky is watching you)

love you guys

Edit:  Also, even if you uncheck all their jobs, they can still be a "runaway patient" to go take a shower.  

Also, if the food has to be that close to them, why do they still use their mess tables?

3 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

which isn't even a perfect solution because the doctors  use the toilets

You can solve that by having a separate bathroom in your medical area that the doctor doesn't have access to (this only works with lavatories though, also the wash basin/hand sanitizer needs to be outside of the bathroom).
Also the title of this thread should've been "You've (medical) cot to be kidding me".

I think for now current patch , klei start implementing new stuff that dont work well, runaway patient - slimelung disease is making dupe hard for breathing - the wrong mistake here coding and animation overlap making they need dupe to on standing position for breathing, they should let dupe just sleep in medical cot and breathing freely even with slimelung, unless its bad gas around medical cot. Its funny sometimes when the doctor still taking care half of progress the patient just run off from the bed, and the doctor is like , omg damn you im outta here, i dont care you anymore

I can see in the future they will add another germs and disease, more animation for different type debuff and struggle

18 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

This setup works until I put in an airlock.  When I put the airlock there, they suddenly can't reach the restroom.

Doors probably block the check radius of cots, since that check radius appears to operate like loud sleeper radius tiles.  Probably use a screen door.  Or mesh tiles for the floors.  Or both.

During closed testing, you didn't actually even have to have those things within radius, the exclamation points were more like suggestions.  The dupe would still use the medbed, get treated by other dupes, and recover, all without having those things in radius.  I haven't tried that since the OU went public because I've seen people say that the medbeds flat don't work without the things in radius.  But  I've wondered if they tried it without, or they just assume that it doesn't work if the exclamation points are there.  I never really worried about other dupes using the lav or food.  If it's all set up right the chance of them getting infected is pretty small, even aside from the overall currently easy nature of disease.

Klei missed an opportunity in the OU to provide us another door control which applies only to sick dupes.  You could have used that to lock the dupes into the medical area (so they don't use their dining table), without having to micromanage the permissions, and also to make a closet for food that only the sick dupes can access (though filling that fridge then becomes a chore).  It was suggested and I don't get why they didn't do it, because not having it makes managing clinic zones a real pain.   I could see where maybe it was considered a 'slippery slope' starting to add other permissions to doors, which already have long dupe rosters.  But they could have also added a separate 'biometric door', which could have had the sick permission, and also permissions for immunity stat and current immunity level.  All 3 of those would be really nice to have, though again, with the current state of disease being so easy to avoid I don't miss it in practice.  But I wish they'd pay more attention to QOL items like this. 

28 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I haven't tried that since the OU went public because I've seen people say that the medbeds flat don't work without the things in radius.  But  I've wondered if they tried it without, or they just assume that it doesn't work if the exclamation points are there.

They just assumed it. I've used med-beds without restrooms or food in reach a couple of times in the early game. I believe the dupes will starve or make a mess in those cases, but with lights wounds they'll be healed before they even need to eat or use a restroom and you can unassign the med-bed for a short period of time to allow them to do those things if needed (I don't know if that works with diseases though, but it's not a problem if you're just healing them).

4 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

I haven't tried that since the OU went public because I've seen people say that the medbeds flat don't work without the things in radius.  But  I've wondered if they tried it without, or they just assume that it doesn't work if the exclamation points are there.  I never really worried about other dupes using the lav or food.  If it's all set up right the chance of them getting infected is pretty small, even aside from the overall currently easy nature of disease.

I have, in general, stuck the Med-Bed right next to the starting ration box.  My outhouses are somewhere else, so it's complaining about no restrooms.

In my recent bouts with hypothermia in 73F+ water (... not going there ...) they used the bed just fine without an outhouse, though they wouldn't stay in it completely.  It was like watching a confused jack in the box.  Both of them eventually recovered though over the next two cycles with only one mop job required, and that was because both outhouses were stuck at the time.  The dupes seem to get up, wander around a bit, and then remember they're sick and go lay down again.

Archived