Oxygen Not Included Roadmap

Are we going to see more work being done towards conservation of mass/energy? At the moment we lose a lot of water and algae permanently to the terrariums which bothers me something fierce. If it outputted something else, like polluted water and slime, that would work.

Any work on all systems towards circular or conservation of materials I would love.

There are things that's creating a lot of free mass into the system as well.  The geysers were (probably) capped because there were people actually complaining about having too much water, but they are still there and still adding more mass into the system.

Additional water is added through steam geysers.

Additional "mass" is added through mealwood.

Meal lice mass -> Rotten -> Polluted Dirt -> Polluted Oxygen or Fertilizer

And then you can create additional Coal/Slime/Polluted Oxygen from creatures

You get back "most" of building materials when deconstructing stuff.  The only you'd lose building materials  is when you repair stuff as well as directly replacing tiles of one kind with another (the material of the original tile is lost).

The only resources not renewable at this time are Sand and Phosphate, but even sand can be made (though extremely tedious) by superheating dirt/fertilizer.

So while it is true that there are "stuff" that's taken out of the system permanently, many of them has ways to be added back.

I honestly think that the machine linked is a device similar to the air skimmer, except rather than using water to remove carbon dioxide it uses a high amount of energy to convert it into plastic. I mean it's already a thing irl, but it's impractical since more energy is required to make plastic this way than just making it the traditional way. But yeah, this is ONI after all :D

3 hours ago, andrakuz said:

I honestly think that the machine linked is a device similar to the air skimmer, except rather than using water to remove carbon dioxide it uses a high amount of energy to convert it into plastic. I mean it's already a thing irl, but it's impractical since more energy is required to make plastic this way than just making it the traditional way. But yeah, this is ONI after all :D

I don't think pure CO2 can be turned into plastic, you also need hydrogen.

2 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I don't think pure CO2 can be turned into plastic, you also need hydrogen.

Yup

https://www.newlight.com/aircarbon/

AirCarbon is made by combining air with methane-based carbon emissions–carbon that would otherwise become part of the air we breathe–to produce a material that is approximately 40% oxygen from air and 60% carbon and hydrogen from captured methane emissions by weight. 

On 8/31/2017 at 7:17 PM, Bigfoot said:

The Outbreak Upgrade was a bit rough. Given the feedback, it was clear that we misbalanced the early game difficulty of disease, and we worked hard to identify that and improve things as soon as possible. Additionally, while we agree that a new system was not the most requested feature in the game, we felt strongly that we needed to bite the bullet and work on building out the base systems before digging deeper into those systems.

To be honest with you, I think you guys overreacted to the angry cries from a few players who were either too impatient or unwilling to learn the new system.  You really should give a new system (especially one as complex as the diseases system) more than two days before you make sweeping adjustments based on feedback.

More variety in the world
We will continually be expanding what the world holds for the players. This means more biomes, more elements to manipulate, more creatures, and so on.

The exploration of the world is a key part of the discovery process.

A salt water biome with, you guessed it, salt could add fish and salt as cooking ingredients.  It could also give players the option to engineer distilling systems to clean the water and gain produce salt.

A limestone biome with lots of caves could be a nice place to add new metals and the rodents that have been datamined.  The rodents (I don't know their names, sorry) could be a renewable source of meat, a reason to use the Combat skill, and the source of a new disease.

Deeper Tech Tree
If the variety in the world creates the ingredients, then the tech tree is the way players can manipulate it. We will continue to advance the tech tree to allow greater use of the materials and systems in the world. This includes advanced refinement techniques, building protective suits for Duplicants, better resource extraction, improved logistics to increase efficiency, and so on.

This is good to hear.  The Research skill needs to remain relevant to the game longer than it currently does.  A reason to make suits is always welcome, but we need a system to make them less dependent on micromanaging.

Thanks for the road map.  Keep up the great work you're doing with this game.

On 8/31/2017 at 6:51 PM, CodingKitteh said:

Per tradition, first!!!!11!!! (edit: well 2nd!!! I was just seconds away :(

Omg, is that sneak peak image suggesting that metal refining is actually coming soon?!!?

I appreciate Klei's update as to what the game's direction is heading. This game is a dream come true to me, science + simulation + survival all-in-one. While player feedback is useful, it's also good to note that too much (bad quality) feedback is no good either. I hope you guys continually weigh in good (and bad) feedback and design accordingly. Making certain things too easy (and non-inventively boring) or too tedious takes away: FUN. Yes, fun.

Nonetheless, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

I could not agree more, those are two of my most favorite things.  I have played this game more then every other game combined, steam tells me I have logged over 2000 hours playing ONI, time just flies by when you are in an asteroid. love it !!!

BTW, at 2000 hours, that makes the cost of playing 1 cent per hour, how ya gonna beat that !!!

On 9/3/2017 at 8:56 AM, gobokin said:

To be honest with you, I think you guys overreacted to the angry cries from a few players who were either too impatient or unwilling to learn the new system.  You really should give a new system (especially one as complex as the diseases system) more than two days before you make sweeping adjustments based on feedback

Very true, at first, I was completely p*ssed off with the whole germ system, but then as I got to understand it, I appreciated it more,.. then... I got p*ssed off again cause everyone was getting sick, I was ready to toss the computer out the window (I live in a basement suit so it's not as drastic as it sounds) but then I read up in the forums on how to deal with disease, and now.. I love the new system and look forward to the next update.
So before you freak out, give the new upgrades at least a week, like so many have said, it is a learning curve.  And always remember, the developers DO listen to us, they have proved that time and time again.  Great job people !!!!

On 8/31/2017 at 5:17 PM, Bigfoot said:

One of the core principles of the game is that everything you do creates externalities. Want to breathe some oxygen? It produces CO2. Want to electrolyze the water to create O2? It also creates Hydrogen. Want to go to the toilet? Better have a place to put the waste product. 

I love that part of the game, it says, "nothing is free" and while it does make it more challenging, ... well....whats the point in playing a game if there is no challenge?  I would love to see a tree of all the elements and machines that are used to see what turns into what, and then what that turns into. etc..  

And while I am not going to quote you on all that you said, I do agree with it all now, even after the outbreak addition, lol.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:38 AM, andrakuz said:

I thought it was making soap

On 9/3/2017 at 11:56 AM, goboking said:

To be honest with you, I think you guys overreacted to the angry cries from a few players who were either too impatient or unwilling to learn the new system.  You really should give a new system (especially one as complex as the diseases system) more than two days before you make sweeping adjustments based on feedback.

I completely agree with this.  Too many developers get a wave of negative reaction from a vocal minority of players and go into a desperate period of reactionary appeasement.  While I like developers listening to their player base, professional willpower is necessary to ensure their vision (which is much grander in scope than that of the whining players) isn't compromised by a short spout of resentment over changes.  Games in Early Access are supposed to change, it's in their nature. 

Much like our nation atm, the vocal minority is catered to at the expense of all else.

Is there anything in the roadmap specifically regarding optimisation? I appreciate that it's a computationally heavy game concept but there is a plan to make it run smoother, right?

If there's nothing than can be done, what about implementing game modes that use less, or simplified calculations. People with NASA computers could still select "hiper realistic mode" but there'd also be an "arcade mode" for people like me who just want to get to things done beyond cycle 200 

bloody love this game by the way. 

I would like to see a refined tech tree. To make it flow better. 

You have things like the automation items on different branches. 

Hydgron generator not on same branch as the oxygen generator. 

A few other branches as well. 

@Bigfoot

Is there a chance of an update on the road map, or what you expect to achieve in the first quarter of 2018? This topic has been pinned and has sneak-peek content for the Oil Upgrade, and since then we have had Automation as well. It would be nice to know a bit more about what future content you are thinking about or at least keeping in touch with the community through more up-to-date road maps.

I understand you do not want to reveal too much in-case you end up having to hold back or not able to deliver something the way you want (Mainly thinking of ARK here where the rule was updates were always late or pushed back). But at the moment most of us know nothing about what you have planned, at least if you say "Next update we are hoping to introduce animal husbandry" then we are all on the same page, it doesn't mean the entire update only has to be animal husbandry, but at least it will let the community know what is going on.

A good example would be a lot of people are struggling with mid to late game lag and have been asking for a performance update and @Cheerio was kind enough to let us know that this seems to be the focus of the update due in the next fortnight which is great, but it was posted at the bottom of a thread so only people who have read that thread will know and more people will then complain about performance etc, when a simple pinned message or up-to-date road map would help (Obviously there will still be people who do not read it, but there will always be the odd one or two) 

Sorry for the long message, But I just feel that other than the twitch streams there has been very little communication between yourselves and us and even then not everyone can be on to ask the questions they want answered on the stream.

On 29/11/2017 at 1:37 PM, Aahzmandius said:

+1 Roadmap update would be great. ONI has a lot of paths it can choose moving forward, so would be good to know what's planned and if there's anything the community can do to help :)

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that we're at the stage when updating a roadmap would open a dialogue that the Klei devs aren't really looking for. 

By that I mean they are rolling out content at a fixed schedule that conforms to the arc that they have laid out - as opposed to looking for input/discussion with the community. To me, the lacking amount of dev presence on the forums (paired with the mushroom effect) is the main indicator for that. 

I'm just looking forward to the optimisations we've been assured are coming in the next update - make the best of the snippets of info we get :D 

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

To me, the lacking amount of dev presence on the forums (paired with the mushroom effect) is the main indicator for that. 

The devs responded to concerns about dev responses on the forums in another thread:

Developer responses tend to end conversation and shape them in a way that is not constructive to providing feedback. Valid opinions that are against what we believe (or would have posted) are completely shut down by other players who reiterate our posts and the community doesn't get to have that conversation. 

What you will find instead is that we respond to player feedback by addressing it either in official posts we make, or in the game content itself. When we do post directly it's to clarify something we aren't looking for feedback on. (Like your post)

In this case, because as we said previously, we are looking for feedback on The Forge. A thread like this one provides us a lot of information about why people would like it to stick around and why others think it shouldn't. So a reply would directly change that conversation and a reply will come when we are no longer looking for that feedback.

9 minutes ago, midjones said:

"What you will find instead is that we respond to player feedback by addressing it either in official posts we make, or in the game content itself. When we do post directly it's to clarify something we aren't looking for feedback on. (Like your post)"

I read that thread but it was this bit that sort of conflicts a little for me. Don't misunderstand me - I'm very much not anti-Klei, but this statement when weighed against the amount of threads which actively appeal to the devs for clarity, and receive none - well it's tantamount to nothing.

Honestly, there's just not much dialogue/explanation full stop. More often than not, the conversation begins and ends with "send us a save file" - followed by posts from people like Risu who delve into the code themselves. This would be fine if every single change/tweak/fix was meticulously detailed in the patch notes, however we often find things have been "fixed" without being officially listed in the list of changes, which is often the cause of the cries for help in the first place....

Again, just an observation, i'm very much a fan of the game and the progress it's making - however the community involvement is sorely lacking currently, and a quick look at the questions posed in twitch chat on the dev streams highlight this perfectly. Mushroom effect as I said :p 

On 2017/10/17 at 4:29 PM, six_demon_bag said:

Is there anything in the roadmap specifically regarding optimisation? I appreciate that it's a computationally heavy game concept but there is a plan to make it run smoother, right?

If there's nothing than can be done, what about implementing game modes that use less, or simplified calculations. People with NASA computers could still select "hiper realistic mode" but there'd also be an "arcade mode" for people like me who just want to get to things done beyond cycle 200 

bloody love this game by the way. 

That would divide the whole community into two halves-the rich and the poor and most contraptions won't go right in both modes...basically making ONI in two games-ONI:NASA Computers Mode and ONI:Arcade Mode.

22 hours ago, he77789 said:

That would divide the whole community into two halves-the rich and the poor and most contraptions won't go right in both modes...basically making ONI in two games-ONI:NASA Computers Mode and ONI:Arcade Mode.

Perhaps you're right...Although this post is somewhat dated now and after a few dedicated performance enhancing updates the late game is now playable for me. Bless their little cotton socks over at Klei...Still bloody love this game!!

Archived