I love the germs and all the things klei did great in this update

Polluted oxygen is now a real danger for your dupes. The way you counter the disease is interesting and systemic. So when you learn the game, you can prevent it.

Food poisoning is a real killer in the early game and is easily dealt with if you are careful.
When you get lavatory it is a non issue as long as you control the polluted water.

All in all you added disease in an interesting way. It is very basic now but can be used for much more deadly disease and radiation sickness in the future.

The hand sanitizer is not only useful now. It is down right hilarious. Bleach stone is awesome and you don't have to farm a lot of it to supply the use.

Farming now require the resources for the crops to grow. And you can still wild plant them if you don't want to use resources on them although it is slow.

I absolutely love the mushrooms :-).

The aquatuner is a long missed item of this game and I love it :D

Big thumbs up for chlorine geysir. It is tedious to collect chlorine gas from small pockets and you need a lot of it to clean ore.

This game is awesome because it uses science and sanitation in a way that mimics the real world and this teaches any kid who plays it.

Gasses mix and flow much better now. Liquids also flow better.

Optimizations to the game made it much faster and fluent to play.

You added difficulty levels so you can start easy to learn the game without going through many restarts. And have a real challenge for an experienced player :-).

I agree, I think this upgrade had set up a good base layer for germ system,  and with a bit of tuning and additions it will become even more interesting. And now so much buildings are actually useful now - Showers, Lavatories, Hand Sanitizers.  New Med Beds require you to build hospitals, Slime is now a really dangerous alien fossil which makes exploring harder and more fun. I hope the Cold biome will get its disease too.

Well most of thew new buildings like the wash basin really don't need heavy maintenance i only run 3 in my colony and its basically done and most are just by the bathrooms with some temp ones i build here and there for when im about to dig into a slime area, it actually makes the game more challenging then anything

The water 

36 minutes ago, TerTerro said:

I dont agree,. Made more stuff that is not interesting, germs. U need more duped to run around, bring water, take poluted water. U even cant pipe the new buildings. Thats bad.

They could add abuilding like a lavatory. Just a water basins version of it.
But it would remove a game mechanic from the game. And that would be sad. I like the bottlers.
Also, why would you ever build a hand sanitizer? Try them out. They are really fun (:

5 minutes ago, Mjello said:

The water 

They could add abuilding like a lavatory. Just a water basins version of it.
But it would remove a game mechanic from the game. And that would be sad. I like the bottlers.
Also, why would you ever build a hand sanitizer? Try them out. They are really fun (:

I don't even use hand sanitizers now the chlorine they output isn't worth it, it would be one thing if they didn't put chlorine into the area

1 minute ago, BlazeNightash said:

I don't even use hand sanitizers now the chlorine they output isn't worth it, it would be one thing if they didn't put chlorine into the area

They don't do that anymore... Just try one (:

I can see the added complexity being welcome to players who've mastered the basics, but it kicks the learning curve from challenging to I've-got-better-things-to-do for me. 

Being able to adjust morale and immunity is a good thing, though I'd really like more training wheels. The sand-box elements I came for (and have thoroughly enjoyed in Don't Starve) end up being washed out with micro-managing, and it's tricky to master one area while the others tip into damage control.

I was still figuring out oxygen, food, and liquid piping, but that process hits a wall when my dupe's immunity runs out. Then it's just bodily fluids all over the place. 

3 hours ago, Audrey said:

I can see the added complexity being welcome to players who've mastered the basics, but it kicks the learning curve from challenging to I've-got-better-things-to-do for me. 

Being able to adjust morale and immunity is a good thing, though I'd really like more training wheels. The sand-box elements I came for (and have thoroughly enjoyed in Don't Starve) end up being washed out with micro-managing, and it's tricky to master one area while the others tip into damage control.

I was still figuring out oxygen, food, and liquid piping, but that process hits a wall when my dupe's immunity runs out. Then it's just bodily fluids all over the place. 

You can try watching a how to video on starting the game. I made this one but there must be many others out there.
How to start and get going in 5 cycles

6 hours ago, Audrey said:

Understand that the game is still in alpha so yea there's gonna be hard learning curves and what mjello suggestion a video helps a lot it's what I can basically run a self substaining colony for easily another 500 cycles 

Making a game that's fun to engage with, AND has good replay value is tricky--I get the sense most of the forum community are hungry for complexity and challenges beyond air/food/survival. Absolutely legitimate, but one of the things to iron out in development is balancing challenge with accessibility. I can see that the learning curve flattens out, but trying to challenge late-stage players can shut out early-stage players. 

Don't Starve has a lot of challenging things, but most of them are avoidable if you run like hell. Still, all the bad stuff comes with good stuff--insanity gets you access to nightmare fuel, the Deerclops is a handy wrecking ball, and earthquakes provide resources. There's motivation to gear up and tackle scary things. By comparison, ONI's current food-poisoning execution is difficult to avoid, boring to manage, and dominates gameplay to the point where everything else grinds to a halt. I'm not even sure you can recover once it's loose, or if it would be worth it. I got bored after a few failures.

I'd really like to see more difficulty sliders. Give me lots of oxyalite, water, and a friendly sandbox to build castles in. Let the survivalists conquer ebola--I want to make a cool space utopia as a homebase for exploration/experimenting. 

13 hours ago, Audrey said:

I'm madly grateful that germs got toned down, incidentally. I expected it to take weeks, not hours, to be nerfed into something manageable for casual-players like me. 

I think they work with it like this. Its early access. So we are Guinea pigs. How hard can they make it before we growl (:
I agree that the first disease you meet in the game should be rather benign. I am just disappointed that I can no longer get sick even with weak immune defense and no wash basin. Its all training wheels now. Like it should be for new players. But id still like it to be able to make them sick, so the wash basin is usefull...

But I hope more deadly stuff will be added. They should Challenge us for mid / late game. And the slime lung is nicely challenging. But with planning exposure of your dupes can be minimal and they won't get sick. Expand without thought and they get sick. Like it should be.

On 9/4/2017 at 4:55 AM, Mjello said:

I am just disappointed that I can no longer get sick even with weak immune defense and no wash basin. 

They seem to have adjusted the balance a bit more since your test last week. 

At least, when I started a new game this weekend I decided to go the first 20 cycles without building any washbasins, and everyone got sick at least once.  A few got sick multiple times.  Adding a few washbasins then cleared things up pretty quickly.

11 hours ago, Vim Razz said:

They seem to have adjusted the balance a bit more since your test last week. 

At least, when I started a new game this weekend I decided to go the first 20 cycles without building any washbasins, and everyone got sick at least once.  A few got sick multiple times.  Adding a few washbasins then cleared things up pretty quickly.

Thx for the update (: That sounds very good. I must have a go again (:

On 9/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, Audrey said:

I'm madly grateful that germs got toned down, incidentally. I expected it to take weeks, not hours, to be nerfed into something manageable for casual-players like me. 

Just wait until the germs start adapting as cycles progress. Chlorine resistant food poisoning, slimelung that infects coal... that's something I'd be interested in seeing so old diseases from early game see a come back later.

Archived