Looking for updated answers about modding

Hi, I've never modded anything before and am really wanting to make a character. I've bookmarked several guides, downloaded some files and tools, and am almost done with a portrait art. I know I may need to actually learn some coding (which sounds super overwhelming, lol) and that it might be difficult and take a lot of trial and error, but I'll deal with that after I have a better understanding of what is possible and not possible in the game. I've looked up most of these, but the results are either old or don't give me anything. I just have some  straight forward questions:

-How different is modding in Don't Starve vs. DST?? (Can you generally use the same guides for either?) I only own DST at the moment so will have to learn how to mod that first.

-It's possible to change how to craft a certain item, right?

-I read that custom animations aren't/weren't possible, but I see some people making minor ones and using spriter for things. What types of custom animations work?? (running, standing around, eating, equipable item animations, battle, etc?)

-Aaand is it possible to make a character change appearance due to a trigger?? (i.e. werewolf, changing forms with low stats, etc).

I really appreciate any answers!! :)

Also, I found this guide that seems pretty straight forward to follow and I'm wanting to know if it's still relevant, being an old thread, and if it would apply to DST?? 

Well, your questions are actually too complicated to answer, as the reply may be long enough to write a book. :)

Why not try to begin from reading the code of other's mods on the workshop which has the function you want? You can also make a comparison between the mods ported from DS to DST.

A quick answer though:

- DS vs. DST: Significantly different as you don't have any networking involved in DS so all the client/host layer which is very important in DST is totally absent from DS.

- It is possible

- I don't know where you read that but you can make custom animation for basically anything.

- Yes you can

-I read that custom animations aren't/weren't possible, but I see some people making minor ones and using spriter for things. What types of custom animations work?? (running, standing around, eating, equipable item animations, battle, etc?)

it's possible but so much of a pain to do that so few have attempted it.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:33 AM, ptr said:

Well, your questions are actually too complicated to answer, as the reply may be long enough to write a book. :)

Why not try to begin from reading the code of other's mods on the workshop which has the function you want? You can also make a comparison between the mods ported from DS to DST.

I will try to do that. :)