Queue For Wash Basin

The number of wash basins needed to keep my base germ-free is out of control.  If I have 4 dupes out digging and only 3 wash basins where they come back to base, one of them is going to sneak by, all germy, and infect the base.  Let me set a hard requirement at the wash basins:  "Must wash hands before crossing this point." 

8 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

The number of wash basins needed to keep my base germ-free is out of control.  If I have 4 dupes out digging and only 3 wash basins where they come back to base, one of them is going to sneak by, all germy, and infect the base.  Let me set a hard requirement at the wash basins:  "Must wash hands before crossing this point." 

Nooh we cant have that. Then there would be no outbreak. Seriously though it takes a lot more than one dupe with a few germs to get things out of control. I really had a hard time getting them sick. You can check it out here if you want to know how hard it is to get slimelung sickness. It took me an hour of dedicated trying.

Link to post with disease outbreak

There's only 2 types of germs right now. Food Poisoning is very easy to deal with - just switch to Lavatories and preserve your food. Slimelung isn't spreading much on itself, unless you have Polluted Oxygen in your base, but it's very concentrated in Slime biomes, so you have to micro manage your dupes to avoid overexposing them to this biome. Overall I feel like germ system is pretty interesting, but it needs lots of tweaking, we need more ways to deal with them, but also more diseases.

9 hours ago, Mjello said:

Nooh we cant have that. Then there would be no outbreak. Seriously though it takes a lot more than one dupe with a few germs to get things out of control. I really had a hard time getting them sick. You can check it out here if you want to know how hard it is to get slimelung sickness. It took me an hour of dedicated trying.

I did not realize it was so hard to get them sick.  I just like to have my base spotless in the germ overlay = D

3 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

I did not realize it was so hard to get them sick.  I just like to have my base spotless in the germ overlay = D

Get used to it there are things that you cant clean, until the game thinks they are dirty enough..  that means the game still says they are clean, when they are  not to dirty ..

The hotfix made dealing with the germs much better. I lost a ton of dupes the first day and very few after the fix. Also, they fixed research so we could get to the lavs and showers at the "normal" pace. I still have a base clogged with basins, lavs, and fridges due to the weird hospital requirements. If it they would queue for the basin/sanitizer I could save about 20 tiles!

It was suggested number of times even during closed testing but I guess it did not fit in the devs' schedule. I still hope we'll get it eventually, numbers of washbasins and ore scrubbers that are needed to make sure dupes and ores get cleaned properly are ridiculous.

For one thing they need to remove the germs cleaning caps from lavs and scrubbers.  Especially scrubbers - it would reduce the number of scrubbers required by over 50% even without queuing.  Queuing would definitely making things simpler from a player perspective.  Though I could imagine it creating a bunch of code issues and bugs.

On 26.08.2017 at 8:31 AM, Stinktooth said:

Just build as many basins as there are dupes (same as cots and mess table) problem solved

5 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Just build as many basins as there are dupes (same as cots and mess table) problem solved

Except not solved, because a single wash basin visit may not actually clean all germs on a dupe, thus you may need more than 1 basin per dupe.

Add the fact that dupes will skip a basin if occupied, and you can end up in a situation where even if you had 3 basins in a row, if for some reason the dupe ended up using the 'last basin', but had too many germs for one visit, they will just proceed onward after washing and spread germs like wildfire. (This happened to me).

I'd love to see a series of sinks in real life where each one gives you like 5 seconds of water and you either get to completely clean your hands or you have to give up and move on with germy, soapy hands. No wait, that would make ZERO sense...

1 hour ago, doubledgedboard said:

I'd love to see a series of sinks in real life where each one gives you like 5 seconds of water and you either get to completely clean your hands or you have to give up and move on with germy, soapy hands. No wait, that would make ZERO sense...

Funny you compare game to a real life. Eating a fried dirt also does not make sense by its a thing in game

11 hours ago, doubledgedboard said:

Right, because a game which attempts to model gas and liquid physics and conservation of mass has no correlation to reality :roll:

The game already makes a ton of concessions to the limitations of the average computer, as well as game balance.  I still find it weird that people think this game is anything close to a physics sim when the game has absolutely no notion of inertia, momentum, or force in general.  The game has a notion of discrete elements existing and being able to displace each other, and some wanting to be lower than others, and even that is flawed (rightward gas migration bias).  The way wash basins work can be considered a game balance concession, I think.  The up side of that is it's a choice by the devs, that they could theoretically change.  Not that I want them to, but at least it's an option, unlike adding actual force to the engine and hoping to maintain any playability.

2 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

(rightward gas migration bias)

I always thought this was due to the rotational inertia of the asteroid.  (I'm 99% sure that's the wrong physics term, and 100% sure someone is going to correct me).

6 minutes ago, Stinktooth said:

I always thought this was due to the rotational inertia of the asteroid.  (I'm 99% sure that's the wrong physics term, and 100% sure someone is going to correct me).

Klei could certainly spin it that way! :D

I am against this very much so. I'll try to explain why.

Why have a queue when you can just build 2 ?

When you are in a queue your dupe does nothing. He just stands there.

The way disease work is not one guy gets past and they all die. Its a percentage game. It is very easy to design your base around this. With a little thought the queue is completely unnecessary.
As an example 3 steps.

1/You can limit the number of dupes going in and out of your quarantined area to suit the number of wash basins.
2/Then let your priority be to clean the area of aerial infection by building an oxygen generator or pumping in some chlorine.
3/ When the bacteria count is manageable for your dupes immune system. Let them all loose.

Then you don't need 20 wash basins because you have 20 dupes and you queued work for them all in the area. Anyways that is how I deal with slime lung (-: Hope it works for you too.

Remember how fast 3 dupes dig out an area as you first start playing? 3 is all you need if you dedicate them to digging. And 3 more to pick up ore. Try it out and experiment. After all, that is what this game is all about. I do think some larger ore washing machines are in the pipeline though. Or maybe a completely new alternative.

Not everything has to be easy. If you want a clinically clean base. Enjoy the challenge in building it so. If you run out of problems to solve or things to build... Then you stop playing the game (; - Anyways have fun.

25 minutes ago, Mjello said:

When you are in a queue your dupe does nothing. He just stands there.

I would like to have the option between either wasting a small bit of dupe time or cluttering every area with a germ source behind it with wash basins and ore scrubbers.

27 minutes ago, Mjello said:

Remember how fast 3 dupes dig out an area as you first start playing? 3 is all you need if you dedicate them to digging. And 3 more to pick up ore. Try it out and experiment. After all, that is what this game is all about. I do think some larger ore washing machines are in the pipeline though. Or maybe a completely new alternative.

People usually have more than three dupes when they dig into slime biomes though, sometimes quite a lot more. And if there's nothing else to do other than dig, then your approach just means letting all dupes expect for three sit around in the base and idle.

Just now, Michi01 said:

People usually have more than three dupes when they dig into slime biomes though, sometimes quite a lot more. And if there's nothing else to do other than dig, then your approach just means letting all dupes expect for three sit around in the base and idle.

Yes, Well it is not like there is cooking fertilising and watering and all that stuff to to do (; And besides if some of them has gotten ill they have time to recover. Then they can be rotated in teams.

55 minutes ago, Mjello said:

Yes, Well it is not like there is cooking fertilising and watering and all that stuff to to do (; And besides if some of them has gotten ill they have time to recover. Then they can be rotated in teams.

People with lots of duplicants are going to have lots of idle duplicants. I myself prefer playing with a small amount, but that doesn't mean that everyone should have to play that way to enjoy the game.

Just now, Michi01 said:

People with lots of duplicants are going to have lots of idle duplicants. I myself prefer playing with a small amount, but that doesn't mean that everyone should have to play that way to enjoy the game.

I was just suggesting an alternative thought pattern as opposed to. Developer solve my problem for me Please. You can do as you like and play it any way you want (:

2 hours ago, Mjello said:

I was just suggesting an alternative thought pattern as opposed to. Developer solve my problem for me Please.

It's not about "developers solve me my problem". There are plenty of ways to deal with the problem. It's about common sense, there should not be need to deal with it in the first place. It's not the machine that needs to do some washing or scrubbing and receives it from a duplicant passing by, it's the duplicant who needs some and should find or wait for a machine to do the task.

When a duplicant passes a scrubber or washbasin and needs to do some scrubbing or washing, he should check immediate vicinity (say within 10 tiles) for a free washbasin/scrubber and if there is one, use it (even repeatedly, until clean). If all are in use, he should wait. Only when he is clean or they all are out of order, he should go on. That's how decontamination is done in real world too and it shouldn't be such a big problem to implement it.

Well

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

It's not about "developers solve me my problem". There are plenty of ways to deal with the problem. It's about common sense, there should not be need to deal with it in the first place. It's not the machine that needs to do some washing or scrubbing and receives it from a duplicant passing by, it's the duplicant who needs some and should find or wait for a machine to do the task.

When a duplicant passes a scrubber or washbasin and needs to do some scrubbing or washing, he should check immediate vicinity (say within 10 tiles) for a free washbasin/scrubber and if there is one, use it (even repeatedly, until clean). If all are in use, he should wait. Only when he is clean or they all are out of order, he should go on. That's how decontamination is done in real world too and it shouldn't be such a big problem to implement it.

Well, they are dupes... They don't know how to queue. Deal with it (:
If you want the coders attention. Think like a coder and write out every conceivable situation they have to deal with in order to make a working queue do what you ask. If you do it right for them, and its simple, they will probably make it.

Archived