[Game Update] - 229982

• Developer

- Reverted research speed to previous speed. This will increase research speed for skilled researchers.

We are also noticing that many players are experiencing disease much earlier than we expected. We are investigating this and will be putting out a hotfix next week to address this.

We also hear the feedback that players would like to see more depth in the interactions of systems in the game, instead of simply more obstacles. We've been working hard on the base systems, and starting with the next update we will be focused on more depth within these systems.

Thanks again for your support!

View full update

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

- Reverted research speed to previous speed. This will increase research speed for skilled researchers.

We are also noticing that many players are experiencing disease much earlier than we expected. We are investigating this and will be putting out a hotfix next week to address this.

We also hear the feedback that players would like to see more depth in the interactions of systems in the game, instead of simply more obstacles. We've been working hard on the base systems, and starting with the next update we will be focused on more depth within these systems.

Thanks again for your support!

View full update

The slower research changes were fine in my opinion. I started a fresh stream colony on launch - I built a pretty hap hazard base as I was taking a lot of time to explain a lot of the new features/changes/tweaks etc to my viewers - I didn't focus on my research and was still completed by cycle 30....

If people think that's too slow, would they rather research wasn't in the game at all? Jeepers... it's meant to be an element of the game, not just instantly achievable...

Revert it back in my opinion - it shouldn't be a non-consideration, if anything it should take LONGER!

ye it should take longer. but a skilled researcher should do it quicker than a not skilled one. I kinda like the slow down of everything with slow research. I vote for even slower, but speed perk for skill.

or inplement a use for researching, after all research is done.

Edited by cptCalavera

3 minutes ago, cptCalavera said:

ye it should take longer. but a skilled researcher should do it quicker than a not skilled one. I kinda like the slow down of everything with slow research. I vote for even slower, but speed perk for skill.

or inplement a use for researching, after all research is done.

There is always the option to build multiple research stations/super computers if an individual WANTS to rush their research, as the points combine now - but I agree, should take longer :p 

Thanks for the update. Haven't played the game for a while so really looking forward to the new disease challenge.

re: Research

I think one idea for both slowing down, and maintaining the current speed is to have different tiers require different materials. So the lower tiers can still require dirt and water, but with middle tiers requiring materials such as gold and clay, and the higher tiers Wolframite and Phosphorus. Then maybe the highest tiers (assuming there will be more than four at some point) require materials that don't appear naturally and have to manufactured.

That way you can still complete the lowest tiers in the same timeframe as usual, while also making research a relevant part of the game well past cycle 20-30 because you'd first have to setup a fully functioning base before you could expand to / manufacture the materials for the higher tiers. Since at the moment research just isn't relevant past a certain point, and a point that is incredibly early in the game (compared to say reaching one of the edges, for example).

But then I was also under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that research is currently fast and trivial for a reason, that being to allow all players to easily play with and test all the buildings and mechanics in the game, which is pretty much essential for a game in the alpha stages of development both for feedback and bug testing. So personally I'm happy with quick and easy research at the moment for those reasons, although I would be quite disappointed if it remains in its current simplistic state for the final release (as then it would feel like a fairly pointless feature simply because of how bare bones and trivial the research system is) . 

• Like 3

The germ cleaning feels more like a 'wear and tear' mechanic and has immediately put me off playing the game because it just feels like I'm having to rebuild everything every so often. That's all it is really. A 'rebuild item every 20 minutes' mechanic. I hate having to do the same thing over and over in games.

I'd prefer a more straightforward mechanic where idle duplicants automatically disinfect everything.

Edited by Optic Axis
added suggestion

I think the slower pace was better than before, actually. My problem in my OU colony was only that I had at least two cycles in a row where all three of my dupes were either taking care of their basic needs, researching, or hauling research materials. That's like 10 minutes of both not doing anything myself, nor watching my dupes do something custom.

Arguably, that's my own damn fault for staying at 3 dupes, except I didn't have my food stabilized yet, so I wasn't comfortable increasing my food load for a bit.

Really though, research should be slow enough that you actually want to use the stuff you've researched as you research it. As it stands, the only urgent techs are Farming and Interior Decor. You could grab those, get your farm and paintings built, and then just wait for all the other research to finish before you do anything else.

An example of a problem that would create this dynamic would be running out of algae. This would pressure you to get Percolation on a reasonable timeframe and get those electrolyzers running.

Edited by Ciderblock

Honestly the thing I want is a way to capture and move the animals around.

Without having to create a complex maze network and hoping the animal follows the path. 

Essentially a capture and domestication system. 

Edited by Suit