Tool tips and in game help

Currently I am finding that I have to go to the Wiki a lot to find out basic things such as what a buildings input and outputs are. Would be good to include this in the buildings tool tip. Also implement an in game help system that explains everything rather than the current tips that get displayed.

4 hours ago, .rage said:

such as what a buildings input and outputs are.

There is an information window (in the top right) detailing exactly that while you paint a building that has in-/outputs or are in the respective overlay. For some reason it's easily overlooked though (happen to me too)...

Just now, Masterpintsman said:

There is an information window (in the top right) detailing exactly that while you paint a building that has in-/outputs.
For some reason it's easily overlooked though (happen to me too)...

That sounds like an interesting paper to read if someone wants to figure out why :p

3 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Can you give an example? Screenshot would be nice.

Sure. Here are 2 examples.

1 Air Scrubber. Input requires is fresh water, Effects are Polluted Water +1000 g/s and Heat +5 w heat

lrcQghP.png

2. Fertilizer Maker. Side effect is Natural Gas +20 g/s and Heat +3.8W.

QRTB6bF.png

My idea is that all the inputs, outputs and any effects are put on the tooltip.

MZCGkBC.png

19 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

There is an information window (in the top right) detailing exactly that while you paint a building that has in-/outputs or are in the respective overlay. For some reason it's easily overlooked though (happen to me too)...

Thanks for your input. I took a look and I can see what you are saying but that does display any information which details what material is required for input or output. It also doesn't details the heat it produces when its running. Below is the example of me building the air scrubber.

wY2Efx7.png

3 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

I like the idea to list the requirements/effects on the tooltip with icons when selecting a building, might make it more intuitive for new players..
Nevertheless, it's currently already in the building information (that shows up after selecting it):
53adc905d7.png

Yeah, I think this information would be great before having to build it. I found myself wasting time building and that I either don't have the resources for it, its going to be to hot or its going to pollute my base. Even if they just added what you just linked here into the tool tip or something to that affect.

22 hours ago, BlueLance said:

If you just click on the building in the menu it does show all of the information, you dont have to physically build it, the only exception is when farming as each plant has different requirements 

Can you share a screenshot of what you are talking about? I can't seem to see it myself.

There is ALOT of detailed information in this game, and ALOT of places where it is displayed.  As .rage pointed out, the in/out flow information is in the game.  But its easy to overlook because of the quantity of information players have to parse through.  The data in a built-building's detail pop-up is different than the info in the build toolbar pop-up.  You have to know where to look to find the information your looking for.  I don't think adding yet more duplicate information screens to the game is the solution.

This problem will be elevated somewhat by the addition of a tutorial (which I'm sure will come later).  But I also think simplifying/reducing the info at each location and moving the bulk of the details to a single central (perhaps even searchable) location would make finding what your looking for easier.

Personally I don't want to have to open a wiki.  I'm with .rage, I want the building requirements and outputs displayed In *all* stages of the building.  When I hover over it in the build menu, When I've clicked on it in the build menu, when It's been planned but not built yet and I select the plan, and finally when it's built.  To me the solution to fragmented info is to repeat the info in all relevant points along the build path.  Not put it away in some wiki menu that I have to access separately.  The LAST thing I need is yet another overlay-like button.

Archived