An ecosystem could be interesting

The thread below is someone pasting a paragraph from wikipedia about a sand generating fish. Since his intent was to just put the information out there without knowing what to do with it, I thought I'd start a thread about an idea that came from it. 

The main idea is to have more interactions between creatures, plants and dupes. Even have them depend on one another for survival.

Right now we have morbs that produce PO2, pufts that eat PO2 and poop slime and hatches that can eat slime and poop coal. However they can survive alone and isolated, would be interesting if they depended on each other for survival. What if hatches need O2 and pufts die without PO2 (can't remember if they do)? That would mean if you get rid of pufts then the morbs would produce a lot of PO2 and kill the hatches. If you get rid of the morbs then hatches would run out of PO2 and die. If you get rid of hatches, then the slime would just produce even more PO2 and you don't get coal.

So with such a simple change we can make hatches depend on the survival of both morbs and pufts. Now imagine throwing plants and more creatures into the mix... 

This would give plants and creatures a much bigger role and importance than just sources of food/coal/slime.

5 hours ago, AlexRou said:

So with such a simple change we can make hatches depend on the survival of both morbs and pufts. Now imagine throwing plants and more creatures into the mix... 

I think this would unfortunately just kill all hatched, Carbon Dioxide sits lower than oxygen so at the beggining stages the chances of them dying to that is really high unless you create a decent airflow.

The other problem is that they all currently spawn in different zones, if morbs started in the starting area players would have to deal with excess Polluted oxygen, and with the next update a lot of disease could quickly run rife.

They all also have different temperature likes/dislikes. 

I do like the idea of an ecosystem or animals requiring food etc, but I think this will be looked at during an update with animal husbandry, maybe similar to harvesting overlay where you can "Feed" hatches or let them eat naturally, etc.

7 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I think this would unfortunately just kill all hatched, Carbon Dioxide sits lower than oxygen so at the beggining stages the chances of them dying to that is really high unless you create a decent airflow.

The other problem is that they all currently spawn in different zones, if morbs started in the starting area players would have to deal with excess Polluted oxygen, and with the next update a lot of disease could quickly run rife.

They all also have different temperature likes/dislikes. 

I do like the idea of an ecosystem or animals requiring food etc, but I think this will be looked at during an update with animal husbandry, maybe similar to harvesting overlay where you can "Feed" hatches or let them eat naturally, etc.

Was just giving an example to show the idea without thinking too much into it. But yeah the spawning and living conditions would need to be changed.

If no creature in the ecosystem produces CO2 then I don't think it would be a problem, if you dug out a area and dump in CO2 then yes that should be a problem a player needs to deal with. Like how we are ruining ecosystems today, we ruin the perfect environment of the creatures. If a creature produces CO2 then there should be one to consume it.

In real life thats a plants role.

The idea is great but the starting zones would need changed etc, I would love to see animals being able to breed and die from natural causes or like you said being in the wrong atmosphere. Unless they were smart enough like dupes to go to oxygen I would be too worried about carbon dioxide, I currently use a pit method and have it cleaned down there :)

40 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

In real life thats a plants role.

Sorry I used creature as in something instead of creature as in animals lol. But hey alien creatures could breathe CO2 for all you know :p 

btw you got any ideas for creatures/plants with a symbiotic relationship with dupes? Was trying to think of one but nth really comes up except ... you know ... infected dupes that wants to take over. Maybe not exactly symbiotic, just some creature/plant that cannot live without dupes.

12 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Sorry I used creature as in something instead of creature as in animals lol. But hey alien creatures could breathe CO2 for all you know :p 

btw you got any ideas for creatures/plants with a symbiotic relationship with dupes? Was trying to think of one but nth really comes up except ... you know ... infected dupes that wants to take over. Maybe not exactly symbiotic, just some creature/plant that cannot live without dupes.

Hmmm well dupes currently can wear clothes, so I do not see why they couldnt "Equip" a parasitic creature, it would be interesting.

There was a thread mentioning a man eating plant which personally I would love to see, it went along the lines of it grew normally up until a stage where it had to be fed, and if it wasn't fed meat it would eventually try to eat your dupe giving them the "Entombed" warning before they are shortly ingested.

Another thing that I could imagine is a creature which doesnt need to be taken care of but if you got it as an egg/recently birthed it could imprint onto a dupe and either follow it or sit on the dupes back, this would stop them being able to carry things but the animal will "Learn" what the dupes does, so if the dupe digs it will grow to be able to dig for you, or if your dupe is always on a manual generator it could run on it, obviously there would be limitations otherwise we would all have them running on hamster wheels permanently, maybe they join for a short amount of time, or will only do it in the presence of their "Parent" They wouldnt be able to do anything complex though, or possibly they cannot use ladders unless they are more humanoid.

This way you have to put in effort to get a reward. In the wild though they will just grow up with their parents and slowly dig/migrate to other areas, which can also cause them to be pests if left entirely alone.

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Hmmm well dupes currently can wear clothes, so I do not see why they couldnt "Equip" a parasitic creature, it would be interesting.

The bad sides could be stuff like

• Not being able to unequip it without gaining a ton of stress and the dupe dies within a cycle or something
  • Or not being able to unequip at all 
  • Dupe dies after X cycles counting from the first equip
  • Normal dupes shun you

But in return you can get stuff like increased heat resistance, stats, etc...

Maybe for lulz add a small chance the parasite takes over and starts converting everyone. Or maybe make it a 100% chance thing after X cycles, so you have to kill the dupe before it matures.

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

There was a thread mentioning a man eating plant which personally I would love to see, it went along the lines of it grew normally up until a stage where it had to be fed

Dude we were both talking in that thread lol.

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Another thing that I could imagine is a creature which doesnt need to be taken care of but if you got it as an egg/recently birthed it could imprint onto a dupe and either follow it or sit on the dupes back, this would stop them being able to carry things but the animal will "Learn" what the dupes does, so if the dupe digs it will grow to be able to dig for you, or if your dupe is always on a manual generator it could run on it, obviously there would be limitations otherwise we would all have them running on hamster wheels permanently, maybe they join for a short amount of time, or will only do it in the presence of their "Parent" They wouldnt be able to do anything complex though, or possibly they cannot use ladders unless they are more humanoid.

Thats interesting .... this fits quite nicely actually. Maybe let dupes carry it up/down ladders so they're a little easier to handle.

14 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

The bad sides could be stuff like

• Not being able to unequip it without gaining a ton of stress and the dupe dies within a cycle or something
  • Or not being able to unequip at all 
  • Dupe dies after X cycles counting from the first equip
  • Normal dupes shun you

But in return you can get stuff like increased heat resistance, stats, etc...

Maybe for lulz add a small chance the parasite takes over and starts converting everyone. Or maybe make it a 100% chance thing after X cycles, so you have to kill the dupe before it matures.

You could make it that the parasite feeds on stress, when a person is stressed they release different hormones if i recall correctly, it could be the parasite feeds on these, so whilst the parasite is attached it causes the dupe great stress and the more stressed the dupes the more engorged the parasite becomes, it could then "Burst" or "Multiply" to infect other dupes, this way the parasite itself doesnt kill the host but eventually all the stress reactions would kill your colony unless you shun the dupe, kill the dupe, or keep the dupe destressed to the point the parasite dies.

It could be an addition to diseases but very local "As in only on the dupe" dupes can get it from a hidden parasite in a block they are mining and the player wont be alerted until the dupe becomes stressed and they can see the parasite on the dupe. If its a parasite I don't think there should be a Pro to it, but if anything I think it could consume small amounts of Co2

21 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Dude we were both talking in that thread lol.

I have bad memory XD

21 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Thats interesting .... this fits quite nicely actually. Maybe let dupes carry it up/down ladders so they're a little easier to handle.

During the "Infantile Stage" the dupes can carry it, maybe it will grow to be the size of a hatch or possibly a bit shorter than a dupe, if dupes had to lift it up stairs after this I think we would find dupes spending lots of time randomly carrying one up and down ladders constantly because the creature has nothing to do.

49 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

If its a parasite I don't think there should be a Pro to it

Well there are 2 routes we could take this, a parasite or a symbiote. A parasite would yes have no good sides and would be similar to a disease. A symbiote would be something that needs a dupe and the dupe would need the symbiote and in return the symbiote has some benefits for the bad sides.

I think the symbiote route would be super interesting as the pros would be very tempting but the cons could get deadly. So players would have to very carefully decide and manage such dupes.

Also I don't think anyone would want to voluntarily equip a parasite lol so for it to make sense to be equipable it would have to be a symbiote. 

I use the term equip because of how they can wear a coat haha, if its a parasite it would just attach regardless of the dupe or the players wishes. Would give players an incentive to build digging suits etc to protect their dupes as they dig! haha

Why not both? If we have a parasitic creature which latches onto a digging dupe then we have the Parasite, but we can also find Symbiotic creatures too that live in the same way but give some sort of buff, If it could excrete oxygen that would be great, to be honest if it could even lower the frequency a dupe needs the toilet and excretes fertilizer that would be great, or a low grade food source.

It would need to get something from the dupe, below are a list of potentials and how they come that I can think of;

1. Carbon Dioxide - From the dupes breathing (It could consume the carbon and excrete the oxygen or vice versa)
  2. Exrection Material - From the dupes excretion (It could consume a portion of this, or delay a dupes need to go and in return produce fertilizer, or a low grade food)
  3. Blood "Health" - from the dupes health, this regenerates over time so unless your dupe is low health this isnt a threat (Can produce food? or Iron?)
  4. Heat - It consumes heat and in return it can turn this heat into something useful through weird bodily functions?
  5. Other atmpsheres - Not from your dupe but from them passing through areas with different gasses, with some gasses potentially killing it, it can feed off of these gasses and return something nice.

Archived