I need a tutorial on how to create a custom item.

you can also join the discord server, let me see if i find it and edit the post for it, there is a lot of coders and ppl that could help you or point you in the rigth direction, there is also written info there

Lumina posted this in the other thread i made that the moderators closed because I forgot there was a mod's section of the forums. oops

"I don't know more updated tutorial. But you can try to explain what is wrong and people will try to help you.

What kind of item do you want to create ? Weapon ? Simple item ? Something else ?"

I am attempting to make a straw/fuzzy roll type item, essentially something you sleep on. 

Edited by bobmittens

Ok.

First, i would suggest to make your custom roll item using the existing animation, and making your custom code. When the code will work fine, then move to make custom anim (or resking of existing anim). Of course, this way to do will work only if your item is close enough of the existing rolls, not totally different.

This will probably be easy to test, and you could ask help for the different steps.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

Ok.

First, i would suggest to make your custom roll item using the existing animation, and making your custom code. When the code will work fine, then move to make custom anim (or resking of existing anim). Of course, this way to do will work only if your item is close enough of the existing rolls, not totally different.

This will probably be easy to test, and you could ask help for the different steps.

For now i just simply want to make the item work as a straw roll with infinite uses.  I have attempted to edit the straw_roll.lua for my mod (renaming all instances of straw and straw_roll to my item name) and it didn't crash my game. But I also couldn't spawn the item in... For now i'm just using the straw roll art assets and such but i'm not 100% sure where they should go in the item file.  

10 hours ago, Lumina said:

Did you add the item to the prefab list in modmain ?

Should be something like this :

PrefabFiles = 
        {

"mystrawroll",
		}

I had something similar but the post that i was using as a tutorial might have had it formatted wrong.

edit* I put this code in my modmain but to no avail. I have a feeling the issue either lies in my file pathing, (I don't know how much don't starve needs to rely on file paths) or the actual mod item's lua code isn't working because of what i put in (probably the issue.) 

Edited by bobmittens