Why does my game crash when I try to play with more than one DST custom character mod?

I have created two DST custom character mods who are both Dleowolf's Extended Character mod templates. I have them both identically completed to where they work separately but whenever I try to activate them at the same time, the game crashes. I have been told that there is some code or script that i need to change on one; however, I am awful with this stuff and after a long time searching, I can not find a solution. Can anyone help me with this?

client_log.txt

Oliver the Concertmaster.zip

Leah the Dreamer.zip

Edited by LetsboxtheFox

Post both files here so people can look through them and iron out the bugs. Also it helps to post the logs. I run a PC So I can tell you where to find the error logs for a PC windows OS

Users\(Compname)\Documents\Klei\donotstarvetogether client_log.text copy that log and upload it here as it updates every time you launch the game.

Edited by Andreasgamming

tl;dr: Check if characters have unique prefabs different from esctemplate and each other.

@LetsboxtheFox The issue is most likely caused by leaving esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE unchanged. Both mods will then work separately but not with each other.

You have to modify modmain.lua, scripts/prefabs/esctemplate.lua, all .xml files, etc... by replacing esctemplate (and ESCTEMPLATE) with unique name - make sure you match the case (so, for example, replace all esctemplate with mycharacterprefab and all ESCTEMPLATE with MYCHARACTERPREFAB).

Also, you need to rename ALL files that contains "esctemplate" in their filename matching prefab you chosen before.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:18 PM, Andreasgamming said:

Post both files here so people can look through them and iron out the bugs. Also it helps to post the logs. I run a PC So I can tell you where to find the error logs for a PC windows OS

Users\(Compname)\Documents\Klei\donotstarvetogether client_log.text copy that log and upload it here as it updates every time you launch the game.

I posted them both just now.

8 hours ago, Hekkaryk said:

tl;dr: Check if characters have unique prefabs different from esctemplate and each other.

@LetsboxtheFox The issue is most likely caused by leaving esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE unchanged. Both mods will then work separately but not with each other.

You have to modify modmain.lua, scripts/prefabs/esctemplate.lua, all .xml files, etc... by replacing esctemplate (and ESCTEMPLATE) with unique name - make sure you match the case (so, for example, replace all esctemplate with mycharacterprefab and all ESCTEMPLATE with MYCHARACTERPREFAB).

Also, you need to rename ALL files that contains "esctemplate" in their filename matching prefab you chosen before.

I posted them both just now if you would like to take a look. I apologize for my ignorance; I have no clue what i'm doing.

Hekkaryk was right on the mark.

You changed both esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE with the same thing. 

esctemplate must be replaced with leah and ESCTEMPLATE must be replaced with LEAH for example. 

Removed example because I was stupid and gave misinformation.

Edited by rons0n

13 hours ago, rons0n said:

Hekkaryk was right on the mark.

You changed both esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE with the same thing. 

esctemplate must be replaced with leah and ESCTEMPLATE must be replaced with LEAH for example. 

Example: 

STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.leah = "The Dreamer"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_NAMES.leah = "Leah"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_DESCRIPTIONS.leah = "*Nice and fluffy keeps her warm\n*Sample Text\n*Gay knots r good"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_QUOTES.leah = "\"You would like that wouldn't you?\""

--leah here is suppose to be LEAH

I just skimmed through it but those seem like the main culprits. 

I believe that prefab name also have to be unique - in past, I tried making 2 character mods with same prefab and they ended up being not compatible with each other - and to add insult to injury, DS was refusing to use files with filenames different that those containing character prefab =_="

@LetsboxtheFox I don't mean to offend you, but in the end it's your job to fix it ^_^"

You have a solution - change every esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE, both in files all and in all filenames. Leah should have leah/LEAH, Oliver should be oliver/OLIVER.

Do this and make sure to share results here! ^_^

On 8/20/2017 at 1:53 PM, Hekkaryk said:

I believe that prefab name also have to be unique - in past, I tried making 2 character mods with same prefab and they ended up being not compatible with each other - and to add insult to injury, DS was refusing to use files with filenames different that those containing character prefab =_="

@LetsboxtheFox I don't mean to offend you, but in the end it's your job to fix it ^_^"

You have a solution - change every esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE, both in files all and in all filenames. Leah should have leah/LEAH, Oliver should be oliver/OLIVER.

Do this and make sure to share results here! ^_^

I understand that I need to change some of the text to upper/lower case but which ones? In the original file of the mod, this is how it appears. "

STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.esctemplate = "The Sample Character"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_NAMES.esctemplate = "Esc"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_DESCRIPTIONS.esctemplate = "*Perk 1\n*Perk 2\n*Perk 3"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_QUOTES.esctemplate = "\"Quote\""

Which ones do I need to change to uppercase and which ones to I need to make original? I apologize for not understanding this well and I also apologize for the odd stuff in the character bios. Also, please, you will not offend me. I just want to fix this but have no idea how any of this works.. I'm willing to learn I just am very confused.

If it's in lower case, keep it in lower case. If it's in upper case, keep it in upper case.

STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.esctemplate = "The Sample Character" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_NAMES.esctemplate = "Esc" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_DESCRIPTIONS.esctemplate = "*Perk 1\n*Perk 2\n*Perk 3" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_QUOTES.esctemplate = "\"Quote\"" -- lower case

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.ESCTEMPLATE = require "speech_esctemplate" -- upper case. Note : if you change the "require "speech_esctemplate" into "require "speech_yourcharacter", you also need to change the file's name in /scripts

-- The character's name as appears in-game 
STRINGS.NAMES.ESCTEMPLATE = "Esc" -- upper case

The list of things to change isn't complete, of course.

@LetsboxtheFox Look at this:

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

If it's in lower case, keep it in lower case. If it's in upper case, keep it in upper case.

STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.esctemplate = "The Sample Character" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_NAMES.esctemplate = "Esc" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_DESCRIPTIONS.esctemplate = "*Perk 1\n*Perk 2\n*Perk 3" -- lower case
STRINGS.CHARACTER_QUOTES.esctemplate = "\"Quote\"" -- lower case

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.ESCTEMPLATE = require "speech_esctemplate" -- upper case. Note : if you change the "require "speech_esctemplate" into "require "speech_yourcharacter", you also need to change the file's name in /scripts

-- The character's name as appears in-game 
STRINGS.NAMES.ESCTEMPLATE = "Esc" -- upper case

The list of things to change isn't complete, of course.

So, in this file all esctemplate should be renamed to leah and all ESCTEMPLATE should be renamed to LEAH ^_^