About the new Wiki moved to Gamepedia network

First a short history about my concern on the actual wiki:

Spoiler

Hello there, just gonna tell a short history, when i first met Don't Starve it was back in the release where RoG was not even out, i played some time and i was curious to learn more from the game so i searched the wiki back then, so it was ok i learned stuff, after RoG came out and even SW DLC came out i also searched the wiki for information.

Back then i had a friend who gave me his account to play some times as i had no way to buy the game.

Now that i was able to buy DST i was happy so i started to play several years later, in fact i started DST 4 months ago, but i was playing casual games surviving 60 days in average then stop playing due to ocupations and i was able to play on free time, now this holydays that i wan't to play i started to try to survive with my knowledge from DS RoG/SW, but a lot of thing changed and even some characters, so when i decided to learn more i went to the DST wiki to figure out that both DS and DST are merge in to the same Game. So outside this spoiler is the real issue i find about the Wiki.

So the Ds and Dst merge into the same wiki it's fine for me as both games are very similar, but in the wiki the content for DST its little, what i mean is that its either outdated or wrong, and in most cases there is not even a mention for the DST changes other than the A New Reign (ANR) page (https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/A_New_Reign where you should read everything to understand just a tiny part of the whole game.)

That's why some of the most active forum members could've read/see my post on this 4 months asking things about the outdated info on the DST wiki.

Here is a little example:

* If you check this link https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Houndius_Shootius, you will learn about this structure but if you read carefully you will find out that the info only apply to DS and DS RoG as in the DST the items is crafting process its different. What i mean is this, check this quote on the wiki page Due to the fact that the Ancient Guardian does not respawn, only 3 Houndius Shootius can be crafted without going through a Teleportato

On DST there is no Teleportato on woodthings and there is only one Ancient Guardian that could be respawned indefinitely with the Ancient Gateway.

I do offer my self as a helper to change the articles and pages on the wiki to clarify the contents diferences between DS/Rog and DST, as i have been taking notes of most of the pages that were confusing to me and that are still wrong about the DST information.

If someone here knows about how to help on the wiki (would be my first time helping or editing a wiki) just point me on the rigth direction.

PS: I do have some knowledge on html and css

6 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

There used to be those DS/DST buttons on the Wikia wiki that allowed you to change information on the page based on the game you wanted. Whatever happened to those?

There are a lot of pages that do have the buttons and a lot of other pages that doesnt

and as you can see the Wikia wiki and the gamepedia one has the same info

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Houndius_Shootius

https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Houndius_Shootius

• Developer
6 minutes ago, Jurgens said:

There are a lot of pages that do have the buttons and a lot of other pages that doesnt

and as you can see the Wikia wiki and the gamepedia one has the same info

Oh, then people probably just forgot about adding it in. You could just contact the admins for them to add it themelves or teach you how to do it so you can fill in the missing pages.

2 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Oh, then people probably just forgot about adding it in. You could just contact the admins for them to add it themelves or teach you how to do it so you can fill in the missing pages.

Oh nice, so i will contact the gamepedia DST page admins.

Hi there, I'm one of the admins at Wikia/Gamepedia. We are always happy to welcome new editors at the wiki, it would be really awesome if you could help us out! At the moment, we have only few active regular editors, so I have to admit we are a little bit behind, especially concerning the latest content updates for DST and how they affect other features. We are always trying to offer accurate and fresh information, but even experienced editors are sometimes struck by "working blindness", which makes identifying missing information a lot harder.

However, there is of course no excuse for outdated or wrong information. I'd invite you to create forum post directly at the wiki and share your list of outdated articles, so we can start working on updating those asap. Thank you in advance! 

11 hours ago, Mueck said:

Hi there, I'm one of the admins at Wikia/Gamepedia. We are always happy to welcome new editors at the wiki, it would be really awesome if you could help us out! At the moment, we have only few active regular editors, so I have to admit we are a little bit behind, especially concerning the latest content updates for DST and how they affect other features. We are always trying to offer accurate and fresh information, but even experienced editors are sometimes struck by "working blindness", which makes identifying missing information a lot harder.

However, there is of course no excuse for outdated or wrong information. I'd invite you to create forum post directly at the wiki and share your list of outdated articles, so we can start working on updating those asap. Thank you in advance! 

Check your PM, i want to help as an editor my self i am open to learn and earn the trust to be usefull, i've written down a lot of pages that are fine for vanilla and RoG/Sw but are wrong for DST

Hello! I'm another admin at the wiki. We'd love if you can start working with us, new editors are always welcome, and in fact, as Mueck said, we pretty much need new editors!

I'll try to clarify how DST's new content/changes to entities are handled. We tend to keep DST content under different sections of the article to help separate contradictory or mismatching information between the two games. Take a look at Beefalo, for example. Although the content is a little outdated (it's no longer 'newly-added'), it's a great example for demonstrating how the sections are separated. If the entity is completely unchanged between the two games, no DST sections exist, and if there's only a small change, we tend to just add it to the article normally as a notice, but not all articles have this when they should.

We try our best to make sure everything is in order, but we can only do so much, so I apologize for any and all confusion caused by this. I'll get to work on fixing this up.

Archived