Need more research items

Currently, research can be easily completed before cycle 20 is even over. For a game that can last hundreds or thousands of cycles, it just feels very lacking. I'm not suggesting that research should be stretched out by making each item longer to research. I'm suggesting for more stuff to research. Here are a few suggestions (they are not necessarily good).

1. Research building/digging/sweeping tool to extend from reaching 4 tiles to 5 or 6.

2. Research tool to capture/transport/release aliens and research buildings to farm/raise them for meat (I'm sure others have suggested this before.)

3. Research to upgrade printing pod so that the base stats of duplicants are higher, or remove bad traits, or give 4 dupe options instead of 3, or more disease-resistant dupes, etc. There could be multiple tiers of upgrades to research.

4. Research spacesuit!! ONI is a game about getting trapped on an asteroid in space. We should have spacesuits! Spacesuits can allow dupes to move freely in water, have higher heat resistance, allow dupes to breathe anywhere, etc.

5. Research alchemy (not very scientific, but kinda funny) to let us convert one type of raw material into another. While most raw material are plentiful, others (like sand) are not. We need more sand to make oxygen filtration viable. In general, this allows players to make a base that can theoretically run forever.

There are so many potentially good research ideas to upgrade buildings and machines or make new ones. I'm sure others have lots of great ideas to share, too.

There will be more tech added as the game goes on so don't worry, at the moment its all basic things.

Capturing/Breeding has been suggested plenty of times and I will be surprised if they don't implement some form of it as there is food you cook and it uses the meats from hatches.

In the Outbreak Update there is something that seems to remove negative traits if your lucky from what I have heard.

There is a weird suit that isnt implemented in the game yet, No clue what it does XD

Players are already running bases indefinently but I don't think they will do alchemy, especially whilst many people are begging for metallurgy.

We shall find out what the devs have planned!

How do you propose to balance 2 - 5?

20 hours ago, hho1 said:

2. Research tool to capture/transport/release aliens and research buildings to farm/raise them for meat (I'm sure others have suggested this before.)

This is nice and all but the problem is that creatures consume and produces material. This makes it a little too easy to for eg. put a bunch of pufts in a single room and pump in PO2.

20 hours ago, hho1 said:

3. Research to upgrade printing pod so that the base stats of duplicants are higher, or remove bad traits, or give 4 dupe options instead of 3, or more disease-resistant dupes, etc. There could be multiple tiers of upgrades to research.

Why should the game get easier the longer you play?

20 hours ago, hho1 said:

4. Research spacesuit!! ONI is a game about getting trapped on an asteroid in space. We should have spacesuits! Spacesuits can allow dupes to move freely in water, have higher heat resistance, allow dupes to breathe anywhere, etc.

With spacesuits why would we then need to make oxygen and clean the air and care about the atmosphere at all now? Even if you need to refill them and they break every now and then, this is still much easier than creating and maintaining the proper atmosphere.

20 hours ago, hho1 said:

5. Research alchemy (not very scientific, but kinda funny) to let us convert one type of raw material into another. While most raw material are plentiful, others (like sand) are not. We need more sand to make oxygen filtration viable. In general, this allows players to make a base that can theoretically run forever.

This is too OP, with this people would turn dirt into everything. Even 100 tons of dirt to make 1kg of  abyssalite is OP.

Everything basically makes the game easier the longer you play. No game should do that. It should be easier because you understand the game better and are more experienced, not because the game goes easier on you. I agree that there should be more things to research but they should not be things that make the game easier without any apparent cons to using them. 

7 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I dont think the spacesuit would be OP, in the end if you need to pump oxygen into it and it lasts x amount of time its the same as using the oxygen outsidfe the suit as long as its done with a 1:1 Ratio

That is assuming you managed to fill your base with oxygen in the first place. You need more oxygen and energy to fill up the base and any new expansions to the base, while the suit is a constant based on how many dupes you have. Once the base is filled and stable then of course consumption should be 1:1.

Also this part means you pretty much do not need to build pumps/vents at dig sites or care about atmospheric conditions at all.

14 hours ago, AlexRou said:

allow dupes to move freely in water, have higher heat resistance, allow dupes to breathe anywhere, etc.

Archived