Irrational/Stupid Fears

geni0529

So I made this thread because I have a lot of irrational or silly fears and I wanted to know what silly irrational fears you guys have to know I'm not alone in the stupid fears department.

I think the most irrational fear I have is elevators. I don't know where the fear came from given as I have never had any bad experience with elevators and I used to love riding in glass ones. I know I've been scared of them since I was 10 though. It's actually really dumb and one day I'm going to be late for something because of it but I just can't get on those metal death boxes. Funny story, a friend and my father once tried to get me in an elevator and I ended up I clinging to the railing of the parking garage stairs for dear life.

Another stupid one I have is meat grinders/garbage disposals, and I know when this one started. I was reading a book about a kid who got his hand stuck in a meat grinder and lost his hand. This fear isn't nearly as bad though, I just get nervous whenever the garbage disposal is turned on in my house. 

And my last really stupid one is very very oddly specific and completely unrealistic. Getting shoved in a robot. This one is thanks to this scene in Superman: 

image.thumb.png.bd7dafce3b68d9e5e711991e1af7c657.png

Now Geni there's no other possible instance this happens in Tv or Video games, just stop watching Superman 3.

Two words for you. 

Cybermen.

Fnaf.

This fear will forever haunt me as I continue being a nerd, it strikes by suprise, and leaves me with nightmares for weeks.

Anyways anybody else got stupid fears?

I don't know if this is an irrational fear, but, the constant fear of a WWIII or any war that affects me. Especially the way the new President talks about it so lightly is frightening. Also, any bug. Not just spiders or wasps, but butterflies, moths, flies, worms, etc. The only ones I'm not afraid of are ants, and they are the only ones I have ever been affected by. (Long story short, I went fishing, and my shoe was inside an ant pile the whole time, I didn't notice until after, when my shoe was completely red/black, being swarmed by ants and eating my flesh alive ~-~) 

23 minutes ago, Tylordian said:

I don't know if this is an irrational fear, but, the constant fear of a WWIII or any war that affects me. Especially the way the new President talks about it so lightly is frightening. Also, any bug. Not just spiders or wasps, but butterflies, moths, flies, worms, etc. The only ones I'm not afraid of are ants, and they are the only ones I have ever been affected by. (Long story short, I went fishing, and my shoe was inside an ant pile the whole time, I didn't notice until after, when my shoe was completely red/black, being swarmed by ants and eating my flesh alive ~-~) 

Irrational fear is the fear of something that isn't necessarily harmful 

Ah yes WWIII, it's not something I'm personally scared of, but it is a pretty grim concept. I think it'll happen eventually, though it may not be in our lifetime.

Ive actually had a similar experience with ants, I stuck my hand in a pot because I saw a dollar in it. I held onto it unaware of the hundreds of ants covering my hand until my freind (who was staring in horror) finally managed to tell me. I proceeded to fall off the ledge I was standing on and roll around on the ground screaming bloody murder in a public park. Good times.

56 minutes ago, geni0529 said:

I think the most irrational fear I have is elevators.

I don't blame you. Elevators are given a lot of bad rep in movies and such (I still can't watch that scene in the beginning of Resident Evil >_< ). My brother was scared of them for a little while.

1 hour ago, geni0529 said:

Another stupid one I have is meat grinders/garbage disposals

That one is more understandable. Idk how I'd feel living in a house with a potential hand decapitator (unless they have a safety upgrade now).

1 hour ago, geni0529 said:

Getting shoved in a robot.

Thanks Scott. Though I think that's least likely thing to happen.

As for my fears? Well I have a fear of putting my head underwater. Even in a small swimming pool or bath. It could be linked to drowning but I've never had a bad water experience according to my mum. (Must be those damn movies again :/ ).

I also have a fear of heights... seems normal but when you have a persona who can fly, it can be pretty ridiculous XD

Last one I can think of is large bugs like spiders and cockroaches :?

Rollercoasters are the bane of my existence. Anything that I can associate with a coaster makes me extremely anxious as well.

The Little Mermaid ride at Disneyland actually made me sweat and almost panic even though it's completely harmless.

Amusement parks do not "amuse" me in the slightest because of this and I just kind of have to watch everyone else enjoy themselves if I ever get dragged into going. One time I had to just sit around in an amusement park for upwards of 6 something hours because the Orchestra I was apart of had some awards ceremony being hosted there.

2 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

For me it's small bugs, I've always been afraid of swarms of tiny bugs (e.g. spiderlings) crawling all over me.

Abduction, for years I've been afraid of being abducted by "aliens", I know it seems unlikely... but... well... you never know what might happen...

I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm afraid of falling from heights and thusly anything that might let me down (pun intended) makes me awfully nervous.

Planes? No problem. A ladder that is being held? Could climb to the moon. A wobbly ladder? Not even to the ceiling. Rusty metal grates? I need at least some railing. Old rope bridge? I don't care if it seems stable, I won't walk that thing until somebody else crossed it. Solid beam? I become an acrobat. Ziplining? Hey, those ropes are tough, of course I don't mind ziplining!.

I have nightmares about elevators. I am not afraid of them when I am awake but in my nightmares they sway, drop, crush me in the doors, fall out of the shaft, trap me, not land even with floors etc. 

I am actually pretty fearless person or rather I face up to my fears a lot. So I have crawled through very tight underground tunnels. I walked through pitch black rooms and basements, climbed stupid heights, handled live snakes (never wild ones- I live in australia I am not suicidal). 

I dont like cockroaches or maggots. I am very wary of wasps and hornets- I have been stung badly in the past.
I am unhappy in crowded places, being touched, loud noises, drunk people and a lot of other things.

So whilst I dont have a phobia I do have an anxiety disorder and PTSD so I know fear very well. I think the trick to phobias is to try and approach them with logic and face up to the reality of what it is you are afraid of. Also desensitisation helps, haha if you can handle it. Fun times- for me it involves going out in public more and spending time around people. I mean ick... people. 

3 hours ago, Xedlord said:

For me it's small bugs, I've always been afraid of swarms of tiny bugs (e.g. spiderlings) crawling all over me.

Actually yeah. One time I saw a small amount of ants crawling on my arm and freaked out. I'm also a bit scared of earwigs. They look like a pretty fierce bug. It didn't help though when one of my older sisters joked about them crawling in your ear and killing you :?

3 hours ago, Xedlord said:

This one may not be stupid but... I'm afraid of dying in a gruesome way.

I think we all are. I really hope my end is peaceful and painless (like passing in your sleep).

48 minutes ago, LadyD said:

I am very wary of wasps and hornets

Same. I don't think we have hornets here (or atleast not a whole lot) but I'm always worried about a bee or wasp stinging me (heck one flew inside earlier today and I locked myself in the wash house >_< )

Alright, time to list:

1. pictures of characters staring back
  2. mascot uniforms
  3. japanese ghostgirls in white gowns and long black hair covering their face
  4. oogey boogey
  5. NPC MAxwell
  6. abandonment
  7. dying
  8. bungee jumping'
  9. fast moving insects
  10. suffocating
  11. people touching me
  12. If I murder someone
  13. the dark

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I don't blame you. Elevators are given a lot of bad rep in movies and such (I still can't watch that scene in the beginning of Resident Evil >_< ). My brother was scared of them for a little while.

That one is more understandable. Idk how I'd feel living in a house with a potential hand decapitator (unless they have a safety upgrade now).

Thanks Scott. Though I think that's least likely thing to happen.

As for my fears? Well I have a fear of putting my head underwater. Even in a small swimming pool or bath. It could be linked to drowning but I've never had a bad water experience according to my mum. (Must be those damn movies again :/ ).

I also have a fear of heights... seems normal but when you have a persona who can fly, it can be pretty ridiculous XD

elevators are the bane of my existence.

the underwater one is pretty strange. It's strange how we can get fears without having an experience to back them up. I have had a whole lot of trouble with water though, once I nearly drowned under a fat lady's butt.

12 hours ago, Weird Wanderer said:

Rollercoasters are the bane of my existence. Anything that I can associate with a coaster makes me extremely anxious as well.

The Little Mermaid ride at Disneyland actually made me sweat and almost panic even though it's completely harmless.

Amusement parks do not "amuse" me in the slightest because of this and I just kind of have to watch everyone else enjoy themselves if I ever get dragged into going. One time I had to just sit around in an amusement park for upwards of 6 something hours because the Orchestra I was apart of had some awards ceremony being hosted there.

I used to have the same feeling, specifically loopy loops or anything that went upside down. I recently got over it though. Except for fair drop rides, like the tower of terror. I'm afraid of elevators no way I'm getting on a machine that is SUPPOSED to drop you.

10 hours ago, Xedlord said:

Abduction, for years I've been afraid of being abducted by "aliens", I know it seems unlikely... but... well... you never know what might happen...

You never know man, you never know. If it's any consolation if the aliens are pretty far off they probably currently see dinosaurs because of some light year traveling shenanigans.

8 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm afraid of falling from heights and thusly anything that might let me down (pun intended) makes me awfully nervous.

Planes? No problem. A ladder that is being held? Could climb to the moon. A wobbly ladder? Not even to the ceiling. Rusty metal grates? I need at least some railing. Old rope bridge? I don't care if it seems stable, I won't walk that thing until somebody else crossed it. Solid beam? I become an acrobat. Ziplining? Hey, those ropes are tough, of course I don't mind ziplining!.

Funny how some fears are like that. 

7 hours ago, LadyD said:

I have nightmares about elevators. I am not afraid of them when I am awake but in my nightmares they sway, drop, crush me in the doors, fall out of the shaft, trap me, not land even with floors etc. 

I am actually pretty fearless person or rather I face up to my fears a lot. So I have crawled through very tight underground tunnels. I walked through pitch black rooms and basements, climbed stupid heights, handled live snakes (never wild ones- I live in australia I am not suicidal). 

I dont like cockroaches or maggots. I am very wary of wasps and hornets- I have been stung badly in the past.
I am unhappy in crowded places, being touched, loud noises, drunk people and a lot of other things.

So whilst I dont have a phobia I do have an anxiety disorder and PTSD so I know fear very well. I think the trick to phobias is to try and approach them with logic and face up to the reality of what it is you are afraid of. Also desensitisation helps, haha if you can handle it. Fun times- for me it involves going out in public more and spending time around people. I mean ick... people. 

Luckily the only fear that gives me nightmares is the robot one.

I think it's awesome how you can face your fears like that, and I agree sometimes logic can get rid of a fear (mostly) and desensitisation works pretty well too. (For me it only works for a short matter of time )

ive had dreams about hights where im in wobbly buildings or near a cliff and gravity seems to suddenly change and i fall down and start getting draged toward the edge by some invisible force and my sisters or brothers grab my hands but nomatter how hard anyone trys they can pull me up... i hate those dreams

any bugs. too many legs, man. I was scared to catch a firefly. A FREAKIN FIREFLY!

I used to be scared of escalators after my foot got sucked into one as a child. Luckily I'm over that one now.

Sometimes I work myself into a corner and become afraid of everything ha

when I was a kid I was cleaning out the dog food bowl and carrying it to the sink. I felt something brush my arm and when I looked down I my forearms were covered in maggots. Hence- I do not like maggots.

I do have a fear of failure. I dont like to lose or fail at anything. I used to have a lot of nightmares where I was at an exam and I didn't know anything or I missed an exam or things like that.
I have no doubt now I am back at uni those nightmares will start up again. Haha. 

29 minutes ago, Starthefox said:

Sometimes I work myself into a corner and become afraid of everything ha

S a m e

16 minutes ago, minespatch said:

For the longest time as a kid, I was scared of rollercoasters. My parents would punish me by taking me on one in Universal if I didn't behave.

I'm sorry this one is sorta hilarious 

8 hours ago, geni0529 said:

I used to have the same feeling, specifically loopy loops or anything that went upside down.

Another irrational fear: Being upside down. Then again, idk if it's a fear or preference of being right side up. Never getting on a ride that goes up side down though. Nope! f**k that!

Never could do hand stands or cartwheels either :/

1 hour ago, Starthefox said:

I used to be scared of escalators after my foot got sucked into one as a child. Luckily I'm over that one now.

I'm still a little uneasy when getting off one. Like my shoelaces or pants might get caught. Seeing those things on tv years back didn't help. Oh yeah and the Final Destination movies 0_0

I still dont like washing glasses in the sink. I once had my hand inside one and it shattered slicing deeply into my hand. I still have the scar and I still hate putting my hand inside a glass to clean it. 
I also dont like showers that are in a bathtub. I never have liked them but recently I slipped and fell. My leg slammed into the tap for the bath and I have a scar. That one hurt.

Phobias in the making eh? Only I still had to wash dishes and shower so I had to overcome that instinct to avoid those situations. 

Elevators? Heights? Absolutely no problem. I went on the glass elevator of the CN Tower and felt super calm about the whole thing.

Rollarcoasters? Sign me up, I went on every intense coaster in Canada's Wonderland twice in one day, laughing the whole time.

Bugs? Arachnids? Arthropods of any sort? I love them. I love examining them. I love watching them in the wild and in the house. Seeing them go on their day to day business, being fascinated by their unique anatomy and watching close up footage of them with joy, rather than disgust.

Washing glass dishes? Do it every day.

So, what gets me?...

Well... uh...

The Playstation 2 startup (and using Video Game consoles in the dark)

... yeah. I can only start up the PS2 in a brightly lit room with other people around, or have someone else turn it on as I grip a blanket. I am terrified of the startup thing that the PS2 does.

As I remember, I was young, and it was early in the morning. I was sitting on the couch, reading some book, and generally minding my own business. Deciding to play some video games before my grandmother wakes up and steals the television from everyone else, I get up to turn on the PS2. Alas, when I reached back to flip the power on, the television right beside my head, things weren't quite... right. It must have been a loose cord, because the audio coming from the speakers were horrible, distorted, fuzzy, screechy static. It was practically a creepypasta. I could swear the graphics were also bugged, but I was too panicked to pay attention, and quickly switched off the system, running back to the couch and curling up in fear for a good half an hour. 

But it didn't stop there.

For about ten years straight, I would have reoccurring nightmares. Nightmares of the PS2 startup. Every dream would involve me turning on the system, or the system turning on itself, and having  it blare out some of the WORST, most HORRIFYING combinations of sounds and visuals imaginable. Sound so loud and demonic that I can not begin to describe. I would take up, panicked, breathing heavily, and scared. Every time.

And this nightmare kept happening.

Again.

And again.

Thankfully, those nightmares aren't frequent anymore, but I still feel an irrational wave of fear and unease around the PS2 startup. 

Yeah.

I used to be afraid of the dark when I was younger, but I got used to it when I got older.

I don't know if this counts, but I have a fear that I'm being watched when I'm outside my room, especially when home alone. Like as if a sniper or something is watching me from afar so I run around my house.

But at night, it's a different case where if I look into the darkness I think I see figures like some Slender man-esque thing is watching me, waiting to strike. But I used to walk outside with my dogs at night just fine.

16 hours ago, Pyromailmann said:

But at night, it's a different case where if I look into the darkness I think I see figures like some Slender man-esque thing is watching me, waiting to strike.

Maybe there is something there, waiting to strike... its happened to people before...

Ok, this thread is getting dark. Hopefully something will come to lighten the mood.

Archived