99% self sustainable base AU-221697

I've made an almost self sustainable legit base

This is how to play:
1. recruit only diver's lung dupes, preferably dupes who vomit when stressed with small bladders, and avoid binge eaters at all cost. Research pneumatic doors (doors that don't allow air flow destroys air) to start killing dupes who do not have diver's lung easy by locking them away. Research mesh tile to let your liquids flow into your pool w/o hindering your dupes
2. kill in game recruits to get a morb farm going for polluted oxygen, which will cover all your oxygen needs as dupes can breath poluted oxygen as well. You don't use water for oxygen. This step doesn't work anymore because of a bug, see post (EDIT: actually you have to bury them to make them stop the ghosts eating your food - I like the developer logic: if it aint' buried it ain't dead, and if it ain't dead it eats :P) :

3. ~14 mealwood hydrophonic farms will cover all your food needs, which you can build around the printing pod. You don't use water for food when you manage to get them going, only polluted water. Run your polluted water pipes though a cold biome so it arrives cold at your hydrofarms (mine arrives subzero)
4. only problem is that with all the puking, pissing, lavatory (hooked to a geyser so it's renewable) and biodistiller, polluted water for hydrophonic farms is going down slowly

This base is probably fully sustainable since you can farm for food in farm tiles as well, until your polluted water pool fills back up to get more seeds from hydrophonic farms. You'll have a ton of extra seeds from the mealwood hydrophonic farms (I got 56 on cycle 68 hardly searching for any). Still using outhouse & compost for fertilizer

Attached some screenshots

This base is probably fully sustainable since you can farm for food in farm tiles as well, until your polluted water pool fills back up to get more seeds from hydrophonic farms. You'll have a ton of extra seeds from the mealwood hydrophonic farms (I got 56 on cycle 68 hardly searching for any). Still using outhouse & compost for fertilizer

Attached some screenshots

morb farm - Copy.jpg

mealwood hydrophonic farm - Copy.jpg

renewable sources of polluted water - Copy.jpg

The easiest method right now is to get enough exposed polluted water going to sublimate and create all the polluted o2 you need completely free without morbs. I ran a bare bones colony that only needed an air scrubber, water pump, and a cooking station to survive beyond 4000 cycles. I had a geyser tapped and cooled the water for eventual use with three chained wheezeworts but you can negate the need for cooling water by using abyssalite pipes. The ratio of polluted water tiles to dupes is about 34 tiles per dupe exposed to air.

I don't think my entire base is 234 tiles long (7 dupes). My strategy is zergish, to expand as fast and as efficient I can. My base is roughly 80x80

Right not I have two problems, I don't have enough CO2 to use a scrubber to convert enough water to polluted water, but not actually a problem since I think I can still run mealfarms on just fertilizer and still get seeds, and how to make an excellent bristle blossom farm.

For some reason 7 dupes are eating 28K food / cycle, and it gets more and more... because... skill gain? That way I'm guaranteed to starve. Sais each dupe consume 1000 kcal/cycle, yet in my colony they do about 3300 kcal/cycle. No binge eaters. I observed in the report dupes that eat my food that don't exist in the base oO - 'tis the revange of the dupes I sacrificed to the morbgod =]

Ok, morb exploit doesn't work anymore b/c of bug. Dupes that die in the base keep breathing oxygen and eating food. Posted the bug here (EDIT: actually you have to bury them to make them stop the ghosts eating your food - I like the developer logic: if it aint' buried it ain't dead, and if it ain't dead it eats :P):

Also, my entire colony hardly makes 100g of sublimation although polluted water is nearly (in touch with polluted air). I doubt you can make polluted oxygen w/o plain oxygen b/c if you cover a polluted water area with CO2 it won't make polluted oxygen

P.S. (scratch this, couldn't replicate, probably made a wrong conclusion) Noticed a useful bug while pumping water through the cold biome, I have a pump attached to a pool through which the pipe goes, that can't pump polluted water since the pipe is already full, however the water in the pipe loses 15 degrees celsius going through it (incoming 27, pool -20). Pump sais blocked pipe and the water in the pool isn't going down

I don't think so, the polluted oxygen seems to be going down very slow while lots of dupes are around, like at night in their dorm. It goes down slow then fills back up violently. When they leave it drops a lot slower and don't have patience to see when it replenishes. Could be wrong though, however my base filled up with 3-4K+ pressurized polluted oxygen, and have 30+ morbs around

Morbs FTW!

1 geyser is enough to satisfy my ~12 diver lung dupe colony after all. Don't know how many dupes it could sustain w/o morb farm

EDIT: Also sais 500Kg of oxygen removed from base although I haven't made any oxygen in like 100 cycles... so they seem to breath polluted oxygen and remove it perhaps

2 hours ago, w0lfshad3 said:

EDIT: Also sais 500Kg of oxygen removed from base although I haven't made any oxygen in like 100 cycles... so they seem to breath polluted oxygen and remove it perhaps

The report incorrectly reports the consumption of oxygen for dupes in polluted oxygen when they do not actually consume it.  That is why there is often an error message saying we didn't produce as much oxygen as we consumed when the dupes are constantly in polluted oxygen environments.

vanilla game should be sustainable base by default by these numbers:

1 geyser = 4 Kg/s
1 electrolyzer 1Kg/s consumption, 888 g/s O2

1 diver lung dupe 76 g/s O2, so 10 dupes...

In theory...
https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Steam_Geyser
https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Electrolyzer

In practice I remember I was having trouble maintaining 13 with 2 electrolyzers, that is assuming ~1300 g/s was still under 1760 g/s

Going to try again next, no morbs exploit :)

Also if anyone is considering the polluted water sublimation oxygen generation I mentioned, you can increase the surface area you have available by making water terraces of mesh tiles braced by gas tiles for your floors and filling those with polluted water. This also increases the overall oxygen pressure throughout the base, rather than having one massive puddle below your base. Was actually a pretty reasonable base size when I ran it for 8 dupes.

It's a shame such a beautiful game has such a poor implementation. How can they overlook things like polluted oxygen consumption which already works for oxygen thus it would've been easy to have it work, leave doors destroy air, dead people eat and other game breaking bugs... even in alpha it's inexcusable

35 minutes ago, w0lfshad3 said:

It's a shame such a beautiful game has such a poor implementation. How can they overlook things like polluted oxygen consumption which already works for oxygen thus it would've been easy to have it work, leave doors destroy air, dead people eat and other game breaking bugs... even in alpha it's inexcusable

This is what alphas are all about. I've seen way worse bugs and glitches in alphas and in full release games. Also humans do breath in polluted oxygen in real life, its just bad for their health and the next update pretty much makes it harder to thrive off of polluted oxygen

1 hour ago, w0lfshad3 said:

A little short sighted this bud. Early access games are always subject to bugs/tweaks/changes. A lot of the current bugs are the result of fixing other issues, or have arisen as part of a hotfix to rectify a different (larger) issue. 

Stick with it - with each large update you'll find more optimisation, and a hell of a lot more squashed bugs.

I'm a programmer thus I find it a very unlikely bug to have oxygen which is consumed and polluted oxygen which is not. It's bad programming design. Good design means bugs appear usually as things that were unclassified properly, but the polluted oxygen problem is unexplained, perhaps intentional but unrealistic. Even CO2 is consumed if you breath it, although slowly and it intoxicates you after entering the blood, thus consumption should exist for C02 and chlorine also. Judging by the fact air gets destroyed in doors when then close, is bad programming - if you let atmosphere in when is open, you must make it act like a vent with the atmosphere in it when it closes. A programmer who doesn't do this I suspect is also leaving orphaned objects in memory that is if this isn't programmed using Java or C#

Just came to mind that also not presenting the total atmosphere in a square right off the bat is also bad programming - it just created the known problems in agriculture

I'm surprised you havn't commented on the fact that if a human walked into chlorine they would die but in game they don't. That isn't realistic.

Its an alpha, why would you make polluted oxygen "perfect" when you are just about to change how it works? I wouldn't waste time making something perfect if I know further down the line ill be pulling it apart to implement it properly, or integrate it with other things.

It's an Alpha for a reason, plenty of things change, come and go. 

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I'm surprised you havn't commented on the fact that if a human walked into chlorine they would die but in game they don't. That isn't realistic.

Actually they don't die because they hold their breath as I remember. I wasn't talking about perfection but about object oriented programming. You would go about making a base class named gas, then derive all the other classes like oxygen, carbon dioxide etc. Polluted oxygen should be derived from oxygen class and thus inherit the property that it's consumable / breathable, that is it satisfies the dupe property / function of breathing

You can't make a bug like that except by bad design

2 hours ago, w0lfshad3 said:

Actually they don't die because they hold their breath as I remember. I wasn't talking about perfection but about object oriented programming. You would go about making a base class named gas, then derive all the other classes like oxygen, carbon dioxide etc. Polluted oxygen should be derived from oxygen class and thus inherit the property that it's consumable / breathable, that is it satisfies the dupe property / function of breathing

You can't make a bug like that except by bad design

Or someone made a simple oversight on a property change and it wasn't noticed until after there was a freeze on the live build to begin work on the next major update (where it is fixed).

You're not the only one educated in the fine art of code-fu. Raise your hand if you've ever been given money for writing logic and never produced a bug.

13 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

... Raise your hand if you've ever been given money for writing logic and never produced a bug.

None that I could remember because I test my work before it has a chance of going into any kind of production. I seem to remember me fixing stuff after sending to be tested and got sent back, but judging by my shamelessness on that matter I don't take responsibility :D Must've been the manager's fault

cat-raising-hand.jpg

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Wasn't there a teenager who spotted an error in one of their codes that were released to the public last year?

I am not aware of it, but it wouldn't surprised me. Despite the heavy scrutiny on all levels of their projects in order to make sure they'll work without human hands for years or decades they still suffer technical and mechanical problems occasionally.

Archived