How to add caves to an existing world?

Hi, sorry if this is a repeated question. The only boards I found of this question are from a couple years ago so I'd rather get a 2017 answer. If there are any recent or up-to-date boards answering this question, then a link is appreciated! 

I have a server running at almost 700 days (game time) that I play on with a friend. I originally didn't make it with caves but now I decided that I want to. The server has some bare-minimum mods that most everyone uses (geometric placement, etc.) if mentioning that matters. Anyways, is there a way I can add caves to this already existing world. If so, what are the steps to do so? 

And of course, if this question has already been answered somewhere, please let me know! I tried looking, but like I said, the only ones I found may not be up-to-date.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, gimogi said:

Hi, sorry if this is a repeated question. The only boards I found of this question are from a couple years ago so I'd rather get a 2017 answer. If there are any recent or up-to-date boards answering this question, then a link is appreciated! 

I have a server running at almost 700 days (game time) that I play on with a friend. I originally didn't make it with caves but now I decided that I want to. The server has some bare-minimum mods that most everyone uses (geometric placement, etc.) if mentioning that matters. Anyways, is there a way I can add caves to this already existing world. If so, what are the steps to do so? 

And of course, if this question has already been answered somewhere, please let me know! I tried looking, but like I said, the only ones I found may not be up-to-date.

Thanks!

You can't do it in the DST client AFAIK because The DST client is super hard to work with on a world editing file standpoint. Well, Yes actually, you can. Set up a Dedicated Server and load the world file in.

yes you can

briefly:

launch both servers (2 shards, main and the one that'll be generated as caves);

look for places where sinkholes were supposed to be spawned (if you want it that way) and spawn one at every cross-like place;

either connect each hole individually via console (i definitely seen those in understanding shards and migration points)

or use shard configuration mod on the next launch (so, shut down after spawning sinkholes, add mod and start again);

if you find some parts confusing or you need some links, i think i can find older threads about the topic, just too lazy at the moment

Archived