A World Where Inedible food is Inedible

Imagine it.

A world where players actually have to hunt down healthy meat for the crockpot instead of just farming basic spiders.

A world where winter is actually a bad thing instead of it just being free-filler season with the absurd amounts of ice.

That's it really, that is the entire question is how do you think you'd have to change your playstyle if only healthy meat could be used to cook healthy crockpot meals; and in winter filler was actually scarce instead of ice making it literally the opposite.

Don't Starve. How could you, when:

598131b9dffc8_download(1).jpg.929a0fe48aae0ac842ce76dc84f785a5.jpg+download.png.b7681f31d377b763418efb7cd6d113f6.png+download.jpg.cbcf0c692b58ffbed7f85191d1f0d0e4.jpg=Meatballs.png.83497d76af2fbb107683aa419e6c7b33.png

Topic is about how easy it is to use two ingredients that are not meant to be primary food stuffs, into primary food stuffs, in a game filled with all kinds of other normal food which is harder to acquire yet serves the same final purpose and thus is not worth bothering with.

Catcoons, frogs, birds, rabbits, turkeys, beefalo, tallbirds, koalephants, fish and more are most of the time not even hunted for the meat they drop but for the crafting materials they drop because spiders; one of the easiest and most profitable mobs in the game; drop an unhealthy meat which can be easily made healthy with a crockpot. The entire world is filled with creatures that drop meat yet many players default almost exclusively to killing one single mob because it is so easy to kill and drops other useful resources, that there is no point to hunting the others most of the time unless you specifically need to cook something that requires multiple meat.

The developers added multiple hunting methods and creatures which all drop food but players almost never actually interact with them for this purpose, only new players usually even bother to because they don't know about how useful spiders are. 

The same is with winter. It is supposed to be when resources are scarce, yet winter spawns massive amounts of ice which literally carry players through the entire season and potentially after because ice is just as much filler as any of the significantly more difficult fillers out there. Winter is actually better for food because of this, since ice can be found more easily and harvested more often in higher quantities then any other filler.

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

My diet in DST consists mostly of bacon and eggs. So such a change wouldn't do much to my playstyle. Now if only such a diet would be healthy in real life...

We all know he just wants to be smug  :3
he always thinks that every just sucks there thumb
as long as you can adapt your be fine.

Make boomerang. Get morsel from bird/rabbit. Replace monster meat with morsel.

Use 3 cooked monster meat for 3 eggs. 1 morsel + 3 eggs = 1 meatballs.

HARDCORE tier: no eggs.

Go to caves and fish (on lakes that don't freeze down there) or chop mushtrees for 9999 filler mushrooms.

ASCENDED GOD tier: no caves.

Eat the monster meat cooked, put the rest for jerky, heal with spider glands, recover sanity with tam o' shanter or whatever.

Or just use a tent with all that extra silk you get from spiders, it gives health and sanity.

Alternatively, play as Wigfrid.

I DON'T CARE tier: no monster meat valid recipes.

Make moleworm farm and enjoy morsels for days.

Or make more boomerang and go smack more birds, since those don't stop coming.

FROGGER tier: no meat valid recipes.

Play as Webber.

I SELL GEARS AND GEARS' ACCESORIES tier: any meat will kill you.

Play as WX-78.

I INVITED KCDA TO PLAY BUT HE BLOCKED ME tier:

Fill a screen with farms and store dragonfruits on them. Also plant saplings for twigs. 1 fruit + 3 twigs = 1 dragonpie.

I AM HERE FOR THE SKINS MAN tier:

c_godmode()

1 hour ago, JellyUltra said:

5 cooked berries give the same amount of hunger as meatballs. Stop acting like meatballs are overpowered.

Insert arbitrary mathematical comparison to filler and a meal to try to disprove the meal isn't overpowered even though the topic isn't about the meal being overpowered it's about how illogical the ingredients and how overly easy they are to acquire is.

24 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The meatballs aren't the problem here. It's the 3 ice + monster meat recipe that's the real problem.

It's more of the problem of how, there are so many other sources of meat in the game. Birds, rabbits, moleworms, frogs, turkeys, catcoons, Koalephants. And almost all of them are irrelevant and unused because you can get meat which serves the same purpose from a significantly easier mob, spiders, which also drop fundamental resources for other activities as well. Have never really heard of any player going out purposely to hunt anything other then a Koalephant for meat, because there's no reason to hunt any of these other creatures for their meat because of spiders. All these different methods of hunting are unused content for most players because players typically only hunt rabbits for a Presti, birds for a birdcage, so on. Killing spiders is so much easier and beneficial, and serves the same purpose, that hunting anything else for meat is literally worse.

It is a fundamental contradiction of the game itself. Monster meat is supposed to be bad for the player, which is why the game hands it out so much and this is why regular meat is harder to acquire in literally every other situation; because regular meat is edible. Yet the crock pot contradicts this completely. The developers even had the intentions to stop players from using monster meat by having Monster Lasagna exist, yet they didn't add any monster meal for recipes using only one meat; Monster Lasagna only punishes the use of monster meat in recipes which require multiple meat items. So every other generic meat based meal, especially meatballs, gets a free pass for absolutely no reason other then the developers forgot to add in a single meat monster meal.

Same with ice. Winter is supposed to be a bad time when it's harder to find food. Yet winter spawns massive amounts of ice, which while not being food themselves, can be used in recipes to create food. So winter is actually good, because ice spawns so much so often it completely replaces the need to forage for regular filler like berries which are meant to be scarce in winter. It contradicts the basic ethics of the game which the entire game has set up, that winter is supposed to be when it is harder to get food.

Fill a screen-length with berry bushes. Fill another screen with pigmen houses, baited forever outside. Enjoy berries; enjoy roasted berries and roasted meat. Enjoy jerky from another screen-length of drying racks. Enjoy roasted eggs from a birdcage. And finally enjoy healthy meatballs.

And what do you know, another screen-length of Improved Farms can be a good addition! Likewise yet another screen-length of Mushroom Planters :applause:

Plus one would expect a whimsical chap to appreciate whimsical food, yes?! :rolleyes:

I can't believe this topic still hasn't reached a conclusion.

Meatballs are only good for restoring hunger and only when you've rubbish ingredients that are otherwise useless. After the first autumn, using Meatballs as your main source of food is a big waste of time. Monster meat is practically free, sure, however you still need filler ingredients. The only good fillers are red caps and ice, because everything else are better off just being eaten directly. The problem is that red caps are not always available, and ice needs to be actively sought out. You're going to be wasting Winter and Spring running around the map to mine glaciers, when that time can be better spent elsewhere.

Let's not forget that it's better to turn monster meat into bacon and eggs. All you need is a birdcage and 4 monster meat for bacon and eggs, you don't even need filler or anything else. If the crock pot turns it into monster lasagna, then that's another egg. Let's also not forget there are even better food options than bacon and eggs.

I know that you have others options and nerfing the most "abusing" or "easiest" one would not prevent players to go to the next one, but i would like some changes about :

- cooked monster meat giving eggs : either they should give monster eggs, damage the bird, or can't be used to feed the bird.

- ice as a filler : limit of one would be great. Limit of two is still ok. Three is too much for me.

They are the two most common, i know that there are others stuff like making bunnymen fight each others, tentacle and merm as free food source... Yes, it's impossible to change all things, and yes, some abusable or too easy things will stay.

But still i would like to see theses changes.

10 hours ago, Lumina said:

cooked monster meat giving eggs : either they should give monster eggs, damage the bird, or can't be used to feed the bird.

y'know, the devs actually did that in an update, and players got really upset about the change so they reverted it

Just now, StarmanNess said:

y'know, the devs actually did that in an update, and players got really upset about the change so they reverted it

I don't remember it, maybe i wasn't here at this moment. Do you remember when it was ? DS ? DST ? And how did it worked ?

But of course these changes aren't popular, i just think they are better for the game.

4 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I don't remember it, maybe i wasn't here at this moment. Do you remember when it was ? DS ? DST ? And how did it worked ?

But of course these changes aren't popular, i just think they are better for the game.

i wasn't around for it either, i believe this was a DS update

11 hours ago, Lumina said:

- cooked monster meat giving eggs : either they should give monster eggs, damage the bird, or can't be used to feed the bird.

- ice as a filler : limit of one would be great. Limit of two is still ok. Three is too much for me.

Considered both of these things but figured they would be overkill to mention since the base statement is shaky enough for some people. But yes bacon and eggs is the primary thing players mention when the idea of monster meat not being used for healthy meals anymore is mentioned, and there's no reason for a bird to be able to eat it. It would be more interesting if perhaps the bird takes damage, but not a huge amount, so players can feed it a couple monster meat at a time without killing it but then they have to wait for its health to regenerate. Same with ice, allowing it to be used once per recipe would at least help make it remain as usable content, which would be mandatory since one recipe does require ice.

17 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

This is usually why developers don't make their games harder after launch, ever. Because after players have gotten used to a certain level of luxury, most players do not want it taken away because for them it just makes the game less convenient. So adding more challenge by changing existing mechanics just risks making a lot of them not want to play anymore.

This all would be a great idea for a mod which disables all these things to make the game more difficult, backpacks could get into that too. But of course it would require a person who knows how to make a functional mod.

12 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

I can't believe this topic still hasn't reached a conclusion.

Can't believe people are still arguing for arbitrary "better options" to somehow try to devalue the significance of meta. In most circumstances, everything has a superior except for the one thing that is superior to everything and is thus on top. It doesn't make everything below it negligible just because there's something superior. Two dimensional thinking.

A world where deadly darkness is deadly:

VrLnvzu.png+latest?cb=20131202133540&path-prefix=pl= Dead!
VrLnvzu.png+latest?cb=20140420093324+latest?cb=20131202133540&path-prefix=pl= Not dead?!

There is completely dark in tent, just like outside! Yet character not only doesn't get hurt, but also recovers health and sanity!

There are more things like this. Players know this and told you a couple of times. Yet you've sticked with your meatballs and it seems like you'll never stop.
They suck anyway.

i'm sorry, i didn't know you were a 3-Dimensional logical thinker, perhaps even a 4D-Dimensional thinker

i guess i'll just accept that wigfrid and meatballs are literally meta OVERPOWDERED superior because some 5D-thinkers always use those in pubs

edit:

Spoiler

image.png

I don't think meatballs are overpowered, just a little too convenients. But i don't see how it could be so bad to not allow to use 3 ice as a filler. It could help balance, without changing anything for most players, no ?

@JohnWatson, after all these years you're still not thinking fourth-dimensionally!

It's very simple: wait until winter, find and mine mini glaciers, cook the ice and monster meat and then travel back in time to give yourself your fresh meatballs. Time-wise it's much more efficient than simply cooking ingredients you already have for a better meal, obviously.

--

The more I think about it, the more i feel meatballs are working as intended: as a noob trap. The recipe is easy and cheap, sure, better than eating the ingredients separately, but people rely on them instead of finding and using better alternatives.

It's a good way to transform monster meat into something edible, so not a bad recipe since it's the most common meat.

Of course you can do things like transforming monster meat in eggs but i'm not fan of it so...

For all that "meta" talk and "N-dimensional thinking" muddle it surprises me OP apparently doesn't know about thermal degradation of toxins/proteins (assuming that's what is in "monster" meat - if we take THAT seriously a cartoonish game) aka boiling in water.

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

A world where deadly darkness is deadly:

VrLnvzu.png+latest?cb=20131202133540&path-prefix=pl= Dead!
VrLnvzu.png+latest?cb=20140420093324+latest?cb=20131202133540&path-prefix=pl= Not dead?!

There is completely dark in tent, just like outside! Yet character not only doesn't get hurt, but also recovers health and sanity!

There are more things like this. Players know this and told you a couple of times. Yet you've sticked with your meatballs and it seems like you'll never stop.
They suck anyway.

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

For all that "meta" talk and "N-dimensional thinking" muddle it surprises me OP apparently doesn't know about thermal degradation of toxins/proteins (assuming that's what is in "monster" meat - if we take THAT seriously a cartoonish game) aka boiling in water.

And?

The topic isn't talking about realism, at all, or meatballs in particular. If you read, it's talking the integrity of the difficulty and balance of the mechanics.

Once again people bring up unrelated subjects to try to disprove this one. If you are going to whine, at least whine about this subject instead of going on a completely different tangent in an attempt to indirectly "disprove" the original.

Topic is about how easy it is to use two ingredients that are not meant to be primary food stuffs, into primary food stuffs, in a game filled with all kinds of other normal food which is harder to acquire yet serves the same final purpose and thus is not worth bothering with.

Catcoons, frogs, birds, rabbits, turkeys, beefalo, tallbirds, koalephants, fish and more are most of the time not even hunted for the meat they drop but for the crafting materials they drop because spiders; one of the easiest and most profitable mobs in the game; drop an unhealthy meat which can be easily made healthy with a crockpot. The entire world is filled with creatures that drop meat yet many players default almost exclusively to killing one single mob because it is so easy to kill and drops other useful resources, that there is no point to hunting the others most of the time unless you specifically need to cook something that requires multiple meat.

The developers added multiple hunting methods and creatures which all drop food but players almost never actually interact with them for this purpose, only new players usually even bother to because they don't know about how useful spiders are. 

The same is with winter. It is supposed to be when resources are scarce, yet winter spawns massive amounts of ice which literally carry players through the entire season and potentially after because ice is just as much filler as any of the significantly more difficult fillers out there. Winter is actually better for food because of this, since ice can be found more easily and harvested more often in higher quantities then any other filler.

Archived