Addition to plumbing.

Hi, I'm sorry if there is another topic like this but I was to lazy to check it out :D
I think it would be great to have "drainage system" in ONI. Something like drainage that "sucks" liquid from a "container" and spits it out down. No power, no maintenance. There could be 2 versions of that
-normal where the water just flows down and u can mannualy close it and open 
-electric where u can use power to do that and even use water pressure to make it automatic
I think it would be good for the game.

drainageoni.png

The only problem is that pipes don't have real world pipe physics, there's no gravity and no pressure in them, and introducing these would require serious revamp of all pipe physics. That leaves tunnel as the only option to use gravity to transport liquids.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

The only problem is that pipes don't have real world pipe physics, there's no gravity and no pressure in them, and introducing these would require serious revamp of all pipe physics. That leaves tunnel as the only option to use gravity to transport liquids.

All that it would require is a "Drain" building that will function like a pump that requires water "input" above the "drain". It would have an output and nothing else.  But since we already have pumps....

3 hours ago, ScottFree said:

All that it would require is a "Drain" building that will function like a pump that requires water "input" above the "drain". It would have an output and nothing else.  But since we already have pumps....

You don't even need a new building, you just need a tunnel and a door you open and close.

Tunnels are annoying. A drainage would be pretty simple - it would behave like a 240W pump above some liquid pressure and then it would perform like 240W*(ambient pressure/top limit).

And... Well, why are there no electrovalves and flow counters, tht would switch a current flow on and off alternatively after enough liquid goin thorough? Not mentioning, that this would be a bliss for optimizing large hydraulic systems. And why can we not set the normal valve outputs by keyboard typing? And why is that Dupes are not needed for seting valves and ambience measuring switches?

Just now, Vincie said:

Tunnels are annoying. A drainage would be pretty simple - it would behave like a 240W pump above some liquid pressure and then it would perform like 240W*(ambient pressure/top limit).

Then why add a new pump and not just a pressure switch.

Also the OP said:

14 hours ago, medulla9324 said:

No power, no maintenance.

Did I say another? Simply all liquid demanding things would get it only if connected and being lower than the drain. And all remaining would not be treated like demanders from it. I suppose that those liquid quants inside the pipes have predistined ways, so to script it we would need just another loop. Or I am wrong.

14 minutes ago, Vincie said:

Did I say another? Simply all liquid demanding things would get it only if connected and being lower than the drain. And all remaining would not be treated like demanders from it. I suppose that those liquid quants inside the pipes have predistined ways, so to script it we would need just another loop. Or I am wrong.

There is no way to add it into the game without completely changing the pipe mechanics. Which would mean running fluid simulations on 2 more layers and having things like pressure. 

If you told the packets from the drain to go down, and you have a pump connected below the drain and a consumer below and above the drain, what happens then? The packets from the pump will try to go up while the ones from the drain can only go down, so does this mean the pump can push the packets from the drain up? This is basically a way to get a pump to move much more fluid for free and is bad.

3 hours ago, AlexRou said:

If you told the packets from the drain to go down, and you have a pump connected below the drain and a consumer below and above the drain, what happens then? The packets from the pump will try to go up while the ones from the drain can only go down, so does this mean the pump can push the packets from the drain up?

It's even better than that.  If you have a 'drain' on the same network as a pump, it's no longer a drain, it's a vent.  Now the pump will deliver water to that drain, which will output the water instead of taking it in.  It would have to be able to accommodate both functions, so, what, do we now have a either/or connection type?  Unless the mechanics were further complicated to where each pipe joint surveys all connected outputs, determines which is the lowest, and sends the water in that direction preferentially, maybe necessitating valves to restrict the flow enough to force it into higher pipes?  Or maybe Klei adds backflow preventers, but the drain would still become stopped up, even if it did not backflow.  It's kind of a game mechanic Pandora's box, really.

3 hours ago, AlexRou said:

This is basically a way to get a pump to move much more fluid for free and is bad.

Amen.  All that complication just to make the game way easier.  No thanks.

so, per the OP, you want to take loose water, suck it from a holding tank, and spit it out elsewhere... well, you can

start with that tank you were talking about.. add some tiles around it to make it secure, one section being mesh tiles, and a powered door... apply power to door, it opens, and the thing starts venting water.. remove power, door closes... -want to remove water only when it's filled to a specific point, use a pressure switch to control the door. using it for temp control, make sure that it moves water sideways, and a thermal switch can manage the door.

if you want it in the pipes, then use the same sensors to turn the pipe on/off... if you have the tech, use the transformer and some batteries and it'll store some power for itself and then stop pulling power until it's needed, without risking an overload on your power system.

i know i'm saying this as 'just do this' and it's not really that simple, but if this is something you want, then engineer the solution that does the job...

Archived