Robot Colonists Suggestion

Hello, my name is Vasilis and i'm from Greece.
It's been really a long time since i got addicted to a game this much.
It is made for perfectionists and we won't settle down till we make a colony perfectly ballanced.
I have a lots of ideas for this game and i'll make a separate topic for each.

In stats i noticed that there is a trait with the name "Duplicant". This made me assume that there would be more kinds of colonists.
My concept was Robot Colonists that they could be made from an Assembly Plant (similar to the Printing Pod) and they would have these characteristics:

• They will use Recharge stations instead of Cots.
  • They will consume Power instead of Oxygen.
  • They could not do complex Jobs like cooking, Research, Art, etc
  • There will be specific Research tree for more sophisticated Robots (ex. the simple robots cannot use ladders but more advanced models can use ladders, jump, run faster, use jets to fly and can do more complex jobs)
  • There will be various models for specific jobs like build, dig, sweep, etc

That's it, hope you liked my idea and of course you can suggest changes or add more stuff.

With you being able to research for better robots ... what would then be the main difference between having a robot vs a dupe. What would stop people from having 1 dupe with the rest robots doing all the work. How would they consume power? Recharging station?

If robots are in the end (after researching) are just dupes that consume power instead of food and oxygen are they really needed? Why power robots when the same power can be used for food and oxygen production. Same goes for the other way around, why have dupes and not all robots. If robots can go into places that would kill dupes then won't robots be OP overall?

Or how about this ... there is a grinder building that turns dupes into rations, but here's the catch, if a living dupe see's it he goes cray cray. So only robots are allowed to do the dirty work while the dupes live in ignorant bliss. 

And by cray cray I mean going around screaming to the other dupes and maybe breaking some **** and increases the stress of every dupe that see's him.

While I see the direction you go, I more throught about less malice but more accidents.

My idea is the robots running bezerk (accident style, in a more or less mild form) when maintenance is lacking, to give an upper boundry of how many of them you can run with the amount of duplicants you have. So you could build a colony heavily relying on robotic workers, but the cascade failures in case something goes wrong would get worse the more you rely on them.

5 hours ago, Masterpintsman said:

While I see the direction you go, I more throught about less malice but more accidents.

My idea is the robots running bezerk (accident style, in a more or less mild form) when maintenance is lacking, to give an upper boundry of how many of them you can run with the amount of duplicants you have. So you could build a colony heavily relying on robotic workers, but the cascade failures in case something goes wrong would get worse the more you rely on them.

Yeah I first thought of that when I read your post but then suicide changed direction :P. Maybe even going to hazardous places damages them but slower than it would dupes.

Miner/builder robots should eat coal and produce a heavy load of CO2. We could think of some artifilial fuel, made from polluted water, so it can renewable. Or not, this would be too easy.

Sweepin/moppin robots should be electric and use batteries. When it runs out, it could fall out and a dupe would load it with a new battery and put the old one in a reacharger.

Delivery robots could be flying drones, picking stuff up from storage compactors only.

Sorry.. I'm good at derailing things sometimes... >:)

Anyway.. While robots could be cool, they should be severely limited in what they can do. Some good ideas would be:

- Sweepers that pick up stuff and take it to various places. Depending on their sophisitication their speed increases

-  Delivery bots, that take stuff to where it's needed. This could also ofcourse be a job for a sweeper bot, but it would be better to have it only do one or the other at the same time, unless they are 'reprogrammed' at a maintenance station by a Dupe.

- Harvestors. another variant of the first two, this bot would be capable of harvesting plants and planting new ones.

- Operators. These would have to be installed specificly on another building, and would remove the need of a dupe working that building, like the cooking station for instance. Some Obvious nono's would be hamster wheels for instance, unless they require more power than a hamster wheel could provide, thus making it a non-issue. They would be removeable and reprogrammable to be installed on a different station that requires a dupe to operate if uninstalled and taken to maintenance. Research would also be a nono as we want these things to be dumb. Their level of sophistication again determines how good they are at their installed job. As medical bays will in the future need a dupe to operate on another dupe, this would also not be a thing they would be able to operate. Since these bots effectively become 'part' of the station they operate, instead of needing to be recharged somewhere, they could simply be linked to the building they operate, increasing it's energy requirement dependent on the sophisitication of the bot.

- Diggers a very useful thing for them to do, as they would not be affected by things like lack of oxygen, or polluted oxygen. Although Chlorine is not a gas you want them working in, neither would be liquids that are 'agressive' like again chlorine, magma, and I'm sure there are others. If exposed to high temperatures they would ofcourse receive damage, but their tolerance to this would be higher than a dupe's. Agressive enviroments would also cause them to take damage, which would have to be repaired at the maintenance station.

- Builders again very useful for hostile enviroments, I don't seen any reasons to limit them to not being able to make certain things, although this could be limited depending on sophistication level.

They would also periodicly receive damage over time slowly, requiring them to be brought in for maintenance. At certain levels of damage, they could start exhibiting 'quirky' behavior, such as shutting down all of a sudden, going berserk, or simply start running around randomly. These would be temporary things, but could ofcourse result in further damage, causing more mishaps. Say at 25, 50 and 75% they unleash their quirkyness. ofc at 100% they simply shut down and become broken, requiring  a dupe to go get them and take them to maintenance.

Repairing them would require materials to replace damaged bits and bobs, depending on what metal they are made of. Different materials would ofcourse allow for a different level of tolerances. Gold amalgam may be good for heat resistant bots, whereas iron/steel bots would require less maintenance as they are more durable. Maybe have copper or wolframite bots be more resistant to cold ( low temps should also be an issue for them, not just high temps. )

The level of sophistication would determine 'how good' they are at their jobs, and howmuch material is needed to build/maintain them. a Low level sweeper/deliverer would be able to carry less and move more slowly than a high level one for instance. High level would also have a longer battery life so they need to be recharged less often, although when they do, they take more power/time to recharge.

The big advantage of them over dupes would be their battery life IMHO, the time needed to rechage would be less or at most the same amount of time a dupe sleeps, but be needed less than once a day. ( say like one in 3-5 days depending on their battery life ) So they could work at night when the dupes are sleeping.

So playing stellaris made me remember one event they had ... robot revolution (not actual event name) lol. Basically robots got tired of your **** and start breaking everything and declaring war against you. Would be fun if they did that, like you mistreat your robots for 100 cycles and one day they decided enough and started attacking everything including dupes.

Archived