I think it would be a great idea for players to have access to play beta snapshot/build option. After seeing so many upcoming updates, I really want to play or try it out or learn a thing or two about how to manage the new mechanics. 

As always, the caveat is that it is a beta build that is probably unstable, so things may be taken or removed from the game without notice or concern.

16 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Huh, I wonder what caused them to change course.

Was selected but had to decline cuz reasons but wasn't told the message was NDA so here it is. It's because they can break more things that they would have to think twice about even in a opt in beta.

Hey there!

**PLEASE READ CAREFULLY**

Thank you for all your contributions to the Oxygen Not Included Alpha. 

We are going to be performing closed testing of our next update and would like your help. Because we’ve had such an overwhelming response to the Alpha, it has become difficult for us to experiment with new and different concepts without fear of upsetting the balance of the game and inconveniencing a large number of players. 

So we would like to inconvenience YOU instead!

In all seriousness, we would like your help. We are looking for people who would be willing to play through the various iterations of the next update and provide feedback so we can tune and adjust to your comments for the next public update. 

We have identified you as being a frequent contributor to the Oxygen Not Included forum and we believe you might be interested in helping us. 

What does this mean for you? We’ll ask you to play our new content and give us as much feedback as you can in a private subforum. You’re welcome to talk about the content publically, but we ask that you do not stream or make videos of the new content. A good deal of this update may change before it goes live, so we would like to avoid confusion for the people who do not have access. 

We’ll let you know what we’re going for, and you’ll let us know what you think. 

This does mean, however, that sometimes things will be tuned in ways you don’t care for, either because they came in untuned, or because we need your feedback to understand how they affect the game. Whether something’s too easy, too difficult, or just doesn’t work the way you’d expect, please let us know and we’ll be sure to adjust new content in ways that feel right for the game.

If this sounds interesting to you, please reply to this message and I will set you up with the private forum where you can get more information. 

If you’re not interested, that’s totally fine. We won’t get our feelings hurt. Well, maybe a little; but we won’t hold it against you. 

Either way - thanks again for helping us during Alpha, we appreciate it!

27 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Huh, I wonder what caused them to change course.

I think devs decided to go that way to stop steady rate of complaints and bad publicity from players who participated in the "alpha beta" but were expecting higher quality than what was provided. There's unfortunately always certain portion of those in an unscreened group.

44 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I think devs decided to go that way to stop steady rate of complaints and bad publicity from players who participated in the "alpha beta" but were expecting higher quality than what was provided. There's unfortunately always certain portion of those in an unscreened group.

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case or some other more specific event.

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think devs decided to go that way to stop steady rate of complaints and bad publicity from players who participated in the "alpha beta" but were expecting higher quality than what was provided. 

3 hours ago, Whispershade said:

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case or some other more specific event.

I hope their QA strategy does not include the use of streamers to do Let's Plays. That's more for marketing hype...

______

That aside, I really enjoy"ed" the game shortly grossing 120+ hours the first two weeks but I stopped simply because I ran out of things to do in-game. A beta release, will keep my hooked and occupied.

3 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

I hope their QA strategy does not include the use of streamers to do Let's Plays. That's more for marketing hype...

No one is allowed to stream or even show images of the closed test game.

2 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

A beta release, will keep my hooked and occupied.

Or burnt out from all the constant crashes and broken features and soured to the final product.

I am not saying that's definitely you, but that's definitely some people.

1 minute ago, CodingKitteh said:

There are always bugs that will slip to public release, there's no way to make bug free software of any reasonable complexity. But streaming of the closed builds is explicitly forbidden.

To add on to what AlexRou and Kasuha have said, I will quote the relevant portion of AlexRou's invitation.

4 hours ago, AlexRou said:

You’re welcome to talk about the content publically, but we ask that you do not stream or make videos of the new content. A good deal of this update may change before it goes live, so we would like to avoid confusion for the people who do not have access. 

Archived