How to herd volt goats

I see quite a few people have issues with herding these horned hellions!  I'll describe how I do it so that you can utilize them for milk, to overcharge anytime with WX-78 (haven't tested, but it should work), or whatever!

Relocating:

A lot of people try the ol' "kill all except one, then move into a pen" tactic.. this works okay but this is quite time consuming!  

How I do it: 1.) make a stone pen, at least 6x6 turf tiles, doored off.  Then add another smaller stone area about 2x2 turf tiles with another door (this will be the smaller room to let you kill them easily without having to wait during nighttime).  2.) Place at least 1 salt lick inside the bigger pen (generally in the middle of the 6x6 area).  The volt goats can't resist, these act like temporary spawn points. 3.)  Now what you want to do is chase the guy towards the salt lick, it will then "path towards it."  If the doors are closed, simply open the door while standing near it to prevent other goats from leaving.  The volt goat will then path (ignoring you) towards the salt lick, then close the door!  Just repeat this process as many times as you want to gather your own herd!  Salt licks work not only on beefalo, but volt goats, and no eyed deers! 

Tips:

~I highly recommend getting the "No wall attack" client mod, so that you won't accidentally hit your own stone walls while chasing the little buggers around with your (insert weapon of choice).  

~During hound attacks you may want to keep away from your pen since the doggies will start to attack the walls to get to the goats (leading the goats to escape!).  The goats will only path towards the salt lick every so often, so if they wander too far from the salt lick, they'll go back to their original spawn location.

~To get the most out of your goats, make sure to get their life down to around 50 or less, then use the Morning star to kill them.  This will give you 1 milk!

~A rarely used but possibly effective method against giants is to purposely overcharge your goats (away from pen) and dragging deerclops or whoever to it.  These guys so some rapid lightning damage!

~Though armor helps against the goats damage, only waterproof stuff will reduce their elemental damage when overcharged.

Closing statement:

This build is not for everyone and may take some practice to perfect.  These goats are very wily, so make sure to keep at least 1 door closed to prevent their escape (even without being overcharged they can sometimes path right by you without fear so beware)!  

-NamelessRonin

Till yesterday I never bothered penning goats - just killed all but 1 for horns, left, came some days later to repeat process. But yesterday, half-heartedly (out of boredom), wanted to test it (well actually wanted to test my own theory on the matter) and proceeded to, again, kill all but one and this last one just plainly chased into the pen build by Oasis mini base. No waiting for it to sleep and no pushing, no nothing fancy - only chased in pen, closed pen and that was it. Of course after, said goat was just "pushing" the wall in direction of its "home" but didn't bothered me. Minded my own business for some days and when returned to Antlion's desert found a new herd at old "home", magically spawned from thin air ("my" penned goat was forwards busy "pushing" walls). No worries, chased all newly spawned/free goats into my hounds teeth traps. Once more left to do my bindings, now with 2 extra horns (Yeey RNG!). Second time I got later in desert, again "my" goat was running into pen walls, BUT now a new goat was spawned IN mini-base, closer to pen (much-much closer from original "home" spawn). Also chased it (the new free one) to death in my tooth trap. Left. When 3rd time I returned some days later my theory was proven right: penned goat wasn't pushing walls anymore and now 3 new ones spawned IN pen. By the end 6 more spawned IN that enclosure, and no need for any tactic, I repeat: no pushing while asleep, no what OP wrote above. Apparently "home" spawn moved closer to last remaining goat each time the other ones got decimated. Will try this on another server for final confirmation/to see if is a valid option for future without all the hassle I've read on forums/seen in videos about relocating goat spawns.

Archived