Suggestion: New Mob - Alter Ego

If player's Sanity is 15% or below for 10 days straight, a scene will trigger come nightfall. The scene will have the player pass out from their headache before showing their shadow elongate under the dusk lighting. From the shadow, a second body that looks like the player character's completely black silhouette will appear. Soon after, Maxwell will appear and say "Interesting creature aren't you? Say pal, you don't look so good. You better find something to eat before night comes!" and then disappear. The second body, the Alter Ego, will regain consciousness just like the player at the beginning of the game and run off screen. The scene concludes with the player waking up the next morning and commenting on their blackout.

If the player's Sanity is still under 15% for the next 5 days, sounds mimicking the player character talking (a.k.a. the instrument) will be heard faintly. Alter Ego will come and attack the player soon after. The attacks will repeat three times with 5 days in between. Each attack lasts for 24 hours except the last one which lasts indefinitely until either the player or Alter Ego is killed.

In the first encounter, Alter Ego will be equipped with a Spear, a Log Armor, and a Football Helm and engage the player in melee range. Alter Ego will appear as a black silhouette of the player character just like the in scene 5 days before. Alter Ego will attempt to kite the player in a similar manner to Pigmen. If Alter Ego is not killed within 24 hours, it will retreat and come back 5 days later.

In the second encounter, Alter Ego will use Blow Darts and a Boomerang and engage the player from range. Alter Ego will also kite the player while placing stage hazards like Bee Mines and Tooth Traps from time to time in an attempt to keep its range advantage. Alter Ego will appear as a negatively colored version of the player character with big black eyes resembling a hollow skull. If Alter Ego is not killed within 24 hours, it will retreat and come back 5 days later.

In the third and final encounter, Alter Ego will send a pack of Hounds to the player shortly before appearing on screen. Alter Ego will be equipped with a Dark Sword and a Night Armor, and will occasionally switch to the Fire Staff or the Ice Staff. Alter Ego will appear as an exact copy of the player character sans the black hollow eyes. The third attack lasts indefinitely until either the player or Alter Ego is killed.

Throughout the encounters, Alter Ego will always behave as follow:

1. Alter Ego will always evade traps placed by the player and will kill any allied mob.

2. If the player is hiding in a fortified structure, Alter Ego will attempt to raze the structure with a torch or dismantle it with a hammer.

3. If within the range of aggressive mobs, Alter Ego will sometime attempt to goad the mob into aggroing the player.

4. Alter Ego will attempt to befriend neutral Pigmen and Bunnymen and mount Beefallos if present.

5. If nearby, Alter Ego will prioritize destroying Meat Effigies and deactivating Touch Stones.

6. If the player does not put sufficient pressure towards a damaged Alter Ego, it will attempt to use Healing Salves, Honey Poultices, or dishes to heal itself.

7. Alter Ego will occasionally speak things mid battle. (for example, Wilson's Alter Ego might say "You're not Wilson! I'm Wilson!" or "You're not real!")

I like this idea I really do however I think doing a cutscene would really break the flow moment and also keeping your sanity so low for so long would just be taxing and many things could come in the way. So I would make summoning him easier though I like him only appearing firstly if you sanity is low enough and how he would harass and attack you. This would make a great mod and I say mod because say what you wish but Single-player DS has stopped development as far as I'm concerned.

Archived