Looking for text editor recommendation for lua

So I've been using Sublime Text 3 (Windows 10) for working with javascript files and it had a very useful feature: function calls were highlighted and mousing over them would tell me where the function was defined (even if it was in a different file).  That was very useful when tracing my way through unfamiliar code.

But now I'm looking at Invisible Inc's files and that feature is missing.  Does anyone know a way to get Sublime to do this for Lua files?  Or is there another editor that you'd recommend?  I tend to have a very hard time tracking things down in Invisible's code and the more help like that I can get, the better.

I just tried both, and neither tells me where the function being called is defined (at least not on mouseover).  Is there a way to make either of them do that?

It is not possible to do that as far as I know. Lua is a weakly typed language, in fact it is unusually so when it comes to functions. In javascript a function has one place where it's defined and then it remains there all the time. But functions in lua are treated like variables. They can be copied, moved to different places, and they can be replaced. That's a good thing for modders, because if it wasn't possible to do that we wouldn't be able to change existing code and so what we could do would be limited. What you should really get is a good grep tool like PowerGREP or grepWin.

Archived