how can I clean polluted oxygen without using sand?

If you only want rid of it your options are;

Use the Void to suck it up, its random if you get a void or not.

Use Pufts to suck it up and either use their slime ASAP, Keep them in an isolated room, or have hatches eat the slime they drop.

If you want to convert it to oxygen, your options are;

Use a De-odorizer (Which you dont want to use)(Or cant due to no sand)

Super cool it to -120 if i remember right using super cooled hydrogen which runs through a series of pipes. This will give you liquid oxygen which you then have to heat to get clean oxygen.

These are the methods I know about.

33 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Super cool it to -120 if i remember right using super cooled hydrogen which runs through a series of pipes. This will give you liquid oxygen which you then have to heat to get clean oxygen.

any examples of a polluted O2 cooling system that i can see?

Some examples of oxygen liquefiers:

If you're using the puft method of converting polluted oxygen to slime, you can convert the slime to algae and polluted water in a bio distiller. The algae can then be turned into clean oxygen with an algae deoxidizer.

I built a polluted oxygen cleaning machine using super cooled hydrogen in this video. Step by step instructions. It's not very fast at converting the oxygen and takes a while to set up. I should also mention that Brothgar made this design. I just wanted to see if it worked in the real game vs. debug mode. I also encountered CO2 as a biproduct coming from the polluted oxygen (see near end of video). It was a sealed room and more and more CO2 continued to be added. Not sure if that was a bug or a feature.

Forgot to mention that you can capture the Puft poop (slime) in a small body of polluted water directly under the Puft. This keeps it from degrading. I also like to lock my dupes out of that Puft room so that they don't collect very small amounts of slime at a time. I usually build up 10,000kg or so and then open the door to farm the POOP.

Actually there is another way to get rid of it, which is pretty fast. What you do is lead in water into the room (usually best from the sides), and then build blocks, pushing the air into a corner. When you place the last block, the air has nowhere to go, and disappears ;) 

The water works as an airlock. 

On 20/07/2017 at 9:01 AM, BlueLance said:

its below -183(ish) when PO2 becomes liquid O2 if I remember rightly.

On 20/07/2017 at 6:37 PM, GrindThisGame said:

I built a polluted oxygen cleaning machine using super cooled hydrogen in this video. Step by step instructions. It's not very fast at converting the oxygen and takes a while to set up. I should also mention that Brothgar made this design. I just wanted to see if it worked in the real game vs. debug mode. I also encountered CO2 as a biproduct coming from the polluted oxygen (see near end of video). It was a sealed room and more and more CO2 continued to be added. Not sure if that was a bug or a feature.

I've watched this video very closely, and i'm a little confused... I've seen this setup many times, it was a common build even when brothgar built his variation of it - and sadly his system has the same flaws that most people find with bubblers. That is; how to handle the massive "oh balls, the whole room changed to oxygen at once" issue :D 

The solution i've found is to have a much, much larger setup - which allows for a variance in pressure/temperature within the room - and then to cycle the gas constantly with thermo switches/filters - however this requires some additional priming/holding rooms to prevent over pressurising your main chamber. 

The main thing that confused me however was the build up of CO2 you mentioned in your video... Now at about 16 minutes you can see the odd packet of CO2 in your polluted oxygen piping, however it's not much at all. Later, when your pump starts getting entombed by solid tiles of CO2 (at around 22.30 mins) you can see that you actually have a number of tiles that weigh 600kg, 700kg, 800kg and 2400+kg - in total around 4000kg! That's a lot of CO2 - when you consider that the max per tile without overpressure in a gaseous form is ~2kg.

thehell.thumb.png.dda2d585d809886c40a333bb452b98f1.png

Now I love trying to figure out stuff like this - however i've drawn a complete blank as to where this CO2 came from. The area is saturated with hydrogen, the next gas in range would be O2/PO2 so even when you replaced tiles, or opened the chamber for whatever reason, chances are CO2 wouldn't have been nearby - certainly not 4000kgs worth...

Are you sure you weren't tinkering in debug and maybe made a miss-click? ;)  Either that or i've missed something entirely?

Here is my hydrogen bubbler, the far right couple of thermal regulators are only used during priming and the pipes broke when I had a power system issue that forced me to shut the system down for a while and the temp inside dropped just to the right temp to freeze the hydrogen in the pipes. That normally wont happen because of the temp controls everywhere. I just modified a base design I found on the internet that wasnt quite working right for me. I had to widen the design, pressurize the top section with hydrogen and add the wheezeworts to keep it from over heating. It took like 200 cycles to build because of the amount of abyssalite it took to build. Now it work flawlessly...

hydrogen bubbler.jpg

1 hour ago, zoarion said:

Here is my hydrogen bubbler, the far right couple of thermal regulators are only used during priming and the pipes broke when I had a power system issue that forced me to shut the system down for a while and the temp inside dropped just to the right temp to freeze the hydrogen in the pipes. That normally wont happen because of the temp controls everywhere. I just modified a base design I found on the internet that wasnt quite working right for me. I had to widen the design, pressurize the top section with hydrogen and add the wheezeworts to keep it from over heating. It took like 200 cycles to build because of the amount of abyssalite it took to build. Now it work flawlessly...

This is the Beowulf design, and it's had many adaptations/tweaks since.

Here's the old thread if you're interested.

Thanks for adding that link, that is the original design I started from and it was a nice starting point, however to make that design work now you have to redo the power system. As you can see on my screen shot, 3 transformers each with their own backup battery, any less would led to circuit overloads. There are also other circuits for pumps into PO2 areas.  His design would also overheat constantly, It could not get hydrogen below -114 without major repairs constantly then it would finally break completely because the dupes cant keep up repairs and that is why I had to widen the design to add the wheezeworts. I started with 6 but i found out that I only needed 4 to make it work. That upper thermal regulator section had to be insulated and pressurized to max with hydrogen but with my adaptation the outer temperature can be hot, the PO2 can be hot and it still wont overheat. His temperature control settings are good but section V2 needs to be set to like the minimum amount or the system will over pressurize and then you have to shut down the whole system to release pressure and start it over. Also you need to add a hydrogen input system because you lose a small amount over time during the oxygen cooling process.

47 minutes ago, zoarion said:

Thanks for adding that link, that is the original design I started from and it was a nice starting point, however to make that design work now you have to redo the power system. As you can see on my screen shot, 3 transformers each with their own backup battery, any less would led to circuit overloads. There are also other circuits for pumps into PO2 areas.  His design would also overheat constantly, It could not get hydrogen below -114 without major repairs constantly then it would finally break completely because the dupes cant keep up repairs and that is why I had to widen the design to add the wheezeworts. I started with 6 but i found out that I only needed 4 to make it work. That upper thermal regulator section had to be insulated and pressurized to max with hydrogen but with my adaptation the outer temperature can be hot, the PO2 can be hot and it still wont overheat. His temperature control settings are good but section V2 needs to be set to like the minimum amount or the system will over pressurize and then you have to shut down the whole system to release pressure and start it over. Also you need to add a hydrogen input system because you lose a small amount over time during the oxygen cooling process.

You're basing this off the design that was first shown back in march :D Since then, thermal conductivity changed a whole lot. I built beos design on that same game-build and it worked like a charm, providing you cooled things beforehand and used a switch on your pump (this was before hydro switches existed too don't forget!).

The beauty (and sometimes the curse too) of playing early access games is that they're going to change a lot over time, which leads to designs constantly evolving, or needing tweaks/changes here and there. In all honesty, with the current build there is absolutely no reason to build a hydrogen bubbler - unless you absolutely want to, in which case my advice would be to build your own design from scratch, you'll learn a lot more along the way :) 

7 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

In all honesty, with the current build there is absolutely no reason to build a hydrogen bubbler - unless you absolutely want to

What do you mean unless you want to? I definitely needed mine to get to cycle 2579 that I am at currently in my game. What do you use to control your polluted oxygen? I sweep my slime immediately into underwater storage and I have pet pufts but I would have way too much PO2 in my game without the hydrogen bubbler, there is not enough sand and pufts are a waste, the slime they produce is not worth the PO2 they consume. Plus I'm farming PO2 from morbs to feed my bubbler and create more O2 without water or algae. So please tell us how you handle your PO2...

In the current version of the game polluted oxygen has next to no side effects provided you store your food intelligently. The only real concern you should have is maintaining a base temperature. Why "handle" po2 when you can embrace it?

4 minutes ago, RemyG said:

In the current version of the game polluted oxygen has next to no side effects provided you store your food intelligently. The only real concern you should have is maintaining a base temperature. Why "handle" po2 when you can embrace it?

I've tried that too and its not worth the stress or inefficient work you get from added sickness, way better to purify. Not to mention the cooling effects for food storage or magma cooling...

this is mine posted before. Im using Cool Oxygen to manage temperature through pipes. 5 Gas Valves(+more not in this pic) going through Water tank, Battery floor, Living (can choose left/right/top/)

the things you should be aware of

Dont connect multiple Thermo Regulators in one circulation, cooling twice in short time causes breaking pipe (mine has separete circulation)

Build Thermo Regulators in very coold area 

bigger room has less danger of breaking pipe, cuz pipes has time to exchange heat

On 2017/7/31 at 3:50 PM, 0xygen said:

Here is my pure oxygen farm, 195.6kg per cycle (32.6kg on each tile) Over 16000kg*6 tiles= 100000kg of pure oxygen :)

Bottom-right non-abyssalite tile vaporize liquid oxygen and Liquid oxygen seals narrow path

I'm tired of find/make polluted oxygen...

https://i.gyazo.com/a71a70782ed3b29997c5f958a8d6b282.mp4

d507f77f8fb088211127ac66eb4de727.jpg

46 minutes ago, zoarion said:

What do you mean unless you want to? I definitely needed mine to get to cycle 2579 that I am at currently in my game. What do you use to control your polluted oxygen? I sweep my slime immediately into underwater storage and I have pet pufts but I would have way too much PO2 in my game without the hydrogen bubbler, there is not enough sand and pufts are a waste, the slime they produce is not worth the PO2 they consume. Plus I'm farming PO2 from morbs to feed my bubbler and create more O2 without water or algae. So please tell us how you handle your PO2...

Cycle count equates to nothing in this game really. Once your external base pressure gets above 2kg of PO2, which can easily happen before cycle 100 depending on how quickly you expand, it's all the same. You don't even need to store slime underwater, as it will only emit PO2 if the surrounding air pressure allows. 

I think you're over complicating a few fundamentals of the current build - that is to say that polluted oxygen really doesn't need to be eradicated from your map. Over pressurise your base with oxygen, and then pump your PO2/CO2/Chlorine/etc into separate rooms for storage. If you ever need one of those gasses for say, a grow room, or a fridge room, or for a cooling system - whatever, then it's on hand.

If you're so inclined, you can also turn your PO2 into Liquid O2 in a much faster, and much more efficient way than with a bubbler by simply building a giant hydrogen filled radiator, and cooling that gas within the pipes. (exactly what @0xygenhas just demonstrated above...)

In short, the bubbler was a showcase in what could be achieved with how gasses interacted, and temperature transference worked on a much earlier build - now it's a somewhat over-complicated system of doing a simple task slowly...

One final note - don't underestimate the power of pufts, trap a few in a small area and you'll be needing way more than one pump to feed them...

Archived