Recommended Posts

Donke60    2,320
2 hours ago, CaptainFun said:

Remove or reduce the sanity gain for planting trees: This is overpowered and makes changing sanity states too easy.

What's wrong with having a character that you can manage easy sanity with you know to help players learn the mechanics the game in relatively safety 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    3,441

Honestly, I think the only thing he needs is slower sanity drain as werebeaver as well as 80% dmg reduction (equal to a log suit) and damage close to a spear.

I feel like the nerf to the werebeaver's combat abilities was unnecessary. It might be useful early on, but later in the game you'll have better combat potential outside of werebeaver form. Combat as a werebeaver is also limited by the fact that you can't really heal or eat mid-fight. Plus in DST you'll be losing sanity fairly quickly so you'll have to deal with Them eventually. I think there's enough pros and cons when using the werebeaver form for combat. So buff the werebeaver a bit and he might actually be used more often.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    26,153
10 hours ago, Apchi said:

In my opinion Woodie - is a worst character in DST. He's lumberjack, and everything he can do - easily farm 4 stacks of logs in a minute.

B-B-but... He's a LUMBERJACK! And He's okay!

HE'S OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voyager156    251

This two are excellent ideas:

On 17.07.2017 at 1:22 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

3) Increase his damage and armor. Have armor be a at least the same value as a log suit and damage be at least the same value as spear, or even a battle spear. 

 

On 17.07.2017 at 1:22 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

1) Being a Werebeaver during full moon should have have some sort of perk, maybe a damage or health boost, that only lasts while the moon is out. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brikelz    144

the only fix woodie needs is a +5 sanity for killing birds in his inventory

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    26,153
3 minutes ago, Brikelz said:

the only fix woodie needs is a +5 sanity for killing birds in his inventory

So... Downside would be getting Krampus after you but sanity boost based on phobia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
axxel    2

I never felt that the beaver/Woody need a buff. He got some good weather protection, sanity management counters well to the scarcity of trees on official servers and the biting should not replace good weapons. Maybe give him an attack bonus against Tree Guards or other plant mobs. Perhaps I see it too strict. I don't rely on perks since I mainly play as Willow...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,320
4 hours ago, axxel said:

Maybe give him an attack bonus against Tree Guards or other plant mobs

He already has that 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Pig    11

I know 99% of people wouldn't agree on this but I've played just about every one of my hours on DST as Woodie and from that experience (albeit not nearly as much as many other people here no doubt but it's worth something right?) I think Woodie doesn't need a buff at all. Woodie has a bunch of smaller perks such as bonus follower time to compensate for his werebeaver form which is supposed to be emphasized as his main DOWNSIDE. I mean can you think of any downside specific to Woodie aside from the werebeaver sanity drain? (If so tell me cause I can't think of one that isn't some sarcastic comment of the sort saying you're not playing Maxwell cause apparently some think he's just better than Woodie and are as evil as birds for such thoughts) Now of course Woodie can also revert to his human form quick if he eats the logs he chops then plant the pinecones from the chopping to restore the sanity lost from his beaver form this allows Woodie to intentionally shift his sanity provided the player has a tree farm set up so you can farm nightmare fuel without an amulet and still have a reliable get-out method if you need to do something else. So technically Woodie has no downsides as a result... At least that is the way I see it... 

Oh thanks for reading my ramble/rant thing and have a wonderful day... don't starve or anything out there!

(Also first ever time saying anything on this forum and I doubt anyone will read it so congrats self :D)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,320
7 hours ago, Mr Pig said:

Also first ever time saying anything on this forum and I doubt anyone will read it so congrats self :D)

The forums is a small and tight nit group we watch everything you do. :p

Now I would really hate to turn this into a balance thread it really isn't needed and people should really let sleeping dogs lye.

7 hours ago, Mr Pig said:

Woodie doesn't need a buff at all.

Well see thats suggestive just like anything and its mostly one of two things. Most  just see Woodie alwayls outdone by Maxwell so they want him to be buffed to bring him to an A rank tier character Like, Wigfrid or Wickerbottom.

Or Number Two which is the case here because I know exactly want the OP  They want the original Werebeaver back which was a juggernaut because it was a single player game and character balance was less of a concern over user experience.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiddyGuy    6,953
On 7/18/2017 at 4:06 PM, CaptainFun said:

Make the log meter invisible while human. It was more fun when you had to pay attention to Lucy's dialogue to know whether or not you were close to transforming.

What's a Lucy? I don't think I'd love her at all.                                                                                                          unknown.png

I really think they should try changing either Maxwell or Woodie, because both of their play styles just revolve around wood collecting, but Maxwell does it far better and has other uses such as.

Mining, actually digging up stumps so they're not an eye sore to the rest of the group who happens upon them, reading Wicker's books so you have a 2nd reader but also a wood collector, having only 3 bars to keep track of instead of 4.

And did I mention he doesn't have to go underground or prepare for a full moon and lose some valuable time doing actually important stuff on said full moons? Also whoever said the extra time you get from rabbits, pigs, rock lobsters was actually good all I have to respond to you with is this.

Spoiler

271.gif

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,320
14 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

really think they should try changing either Maxwell or Woodie, because both of their play styles just revolve around wood collecting, but Maxwell does it far better and has other uses such as.

Well they could for Maxwell take away there autochop or actions clean up the Duelist's AI or limit you too one resource puppet each

I rather they change Maxwell as Woodie already set the standard of a resource character in the orginal DS but that could just be because the AI for Maxwell's DS puppets is really bad in comparison.

 

Though honestly sounds like a battle you can't win just like all these re-balance threads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiddyGuy    6,953
21 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

or limit you too one resource puppet each

ss8puklp2o3z.gif

That's not a change, that's a nerf for no real reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,320
4 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

That's not a change, that's a nerf for no real reason.

Well sorry I don't really see an easy solution unless they redid Maxwell or Woodie

Now get that fidget spinner out of here!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Curator    946

Just increase his bloody attack and defense.

It is true that Woody's benefits technically have no downsides: he can chop wood rapidly, has a forever-axe, stays sane perpetually using what he gets from chopping wood. So logically it makes sense that the developers would want to balance this out with Werebeaver form being a complete downside to help counter this; which it does. But, hey Klei, guess what;

Spoiler

Most of the other characters and numerous items in this game are NOT balanced.

So just pick one or the other either everything is overpowered or everything is balanced all that comes from being indecisive about it is THINGS BEING EVEN LESS BALANCED.

 

RIP Canada-Man 2013 - Don't Starve Together: he died doing what he loved the most, getting wood.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toros    285

Well, I think I'd change him the way I did change him in the mod I wrote.

Changes include:

-Log meter doesn't degenerate over time in human form

-cut grass removes 5 log meter (woodie has an allergy) which allows players to force a transformation at the cost of resources.

-Werebeaver has no additional sanity drain + no sanity loss from darkness

-Werebeaver gains 80% armor and takes damage from log meter first, deals tentacle spike damage

-Eating logs restores 2 health per log

-Log meter degenerates as fast as hunger does, and you lose it when gnawing instead of gaining it

-Pine cone sanity removed

-Gnawing is faster on trees, stumps, rocks since you lose log meter instead of gaining it.

 

The end result is that woodie in his human form just needs to not chop too many trees to manage his curse.  

 

Werebeaver form becomes good for exploring with nightvison, harvesting, and combat but is fueled by logs and you can't avoid paying the cost like you can now.  It's also good for fighting bosses but not nearly as good as someone with hambat or ruins gear.

 

Similarly, the pine cone sanity was removed so woodie needs to manage his sanity like everyone else.

Early game woodie might use werebeaver for everything but gathering and crafting, but lategame woodie's human form will be stronger with equipment.  Werebeaver will just be for crafting and emergencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Pig    11
10 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

 having only 3 bars to keep track of instead of 4.

 

 

Just pointing it out that this is invalid as Woodie has 100% control over his sanity provided he has a decent tree farm which is always necessary in this game so uhh he actually still has only 3 stats and the beaverness is SUPER EASY (just listen for Lucy's dialogue or glance at it every now and again) Also full moons don't really matter as Woodie if you lay down like 20 logs that you're probably going to have anyway from doing your job of gathering resources and you can spend the at least a portion of the night human using a resource that is beyond easy to get since well... your team has a Woodie I've found and collected Glommer in 1 full moon as Woodie probably 5 or so times and a lot of people tend to overestimate the drawback of full moons so it's understandable. Anyway that is my thoughts. I doubt I'm convincing anyone I just wanted to point out that Woodie is more balanced than people give him credit for. Buffing his beaver form (his main downside because its a curse after all) when it can already be used as an upside albeit to a lesser extent than the single-player counterpart it would make Woodie actually overpowered. I've tried various mods that attempt to balance Woodie but most fail miserably or just copy his single player format over to DST which isn't what I want to see. So I think Woodie is best left alone and more likely Maxwell should be changed so he's not competing with Woodie for what the Klei clearly intended to be Woodie's theme and role. (Plus Woodie actually has an HP pool unlike maxwell so he can be useful in a fight even if you can't kite very well Maxwell is more strictly gathering while Woodie can gather while also flex his roll to do other group tasks when necessary and that's part of why I love him) 

Anyway thanks for reading this rant that I didn't expect to post cause it turned out longer than I planned it to be and have a wonderful day! :D 

P.S

I hope I didn't start some major flame war on this thread cause I just want an appropriate discussion over our various gathering characters and how some role issues need to be cleared up more than anything! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toros    285
19 minutes ago, Mr Pig said:

Just pointing it out that this is invalid as Woodie has 100% control over his sanity provided he has a decent tree farm which is always necessary in this game so uhh he actually still has only 3 stats and the beaverness is SUPER EASY (just listen for Lucy's dialogue or glance at it every now and again) Also full moons don't really matter as Woodie if you lay down like 20 logs that you're probably going to have anyway from doing your job of gathering resources and you can spend the at least a portion of the night human using a resource that is beyond easy to get since well... your team has a Woodie I've found and collected Glommer in 1 full moon as Woodie probably 5 or so times and a lot of people tend to overestimate the drawback of full moons so it's understandable. Anyway that is my thoughts. I doubt I'm convincing anyone I just wanted to point out that Woodie is more balanced than people give him credit for. Buffing his beaver form (his main downside because its a curse after all) when it can already be used as an upside albeit to a lesser extent than the single-player counterpart it would make Woodie actually overpowered. I've tried various mods that attempt to balance Woodie but most fail miserably or just copy his single player format over to DST which isn't what I want to see. So I think Woodie is best left alone and more likely Maxwell should be changed so he's not competing with Woodie for what the Klei clearly intended to be Woodie's theme and role. (Plus Woodie actually has an HP pool unlike maxwell so he can be useful in a fight even if you can't kite very well Maxwell is more strictly gathering while Woodie can gather while also flex his roll to do other group tasks when necessary and that's part of why I love him) 

Anyway thanks for reading this rant that I didn't expect to post cause it turned out longer than I planned it to be and have a wonderful day! :D 

P.S

I hope I didn't start some major flame war on this thread cause I just want an appropriate discussion over our various gathering characters and how some role issues need to be cleared up more than anything! 

 

My issue with woodie isn't that he's underpowered but that in dst he is mechanically awkward.  The pine cone sanity trivializes sanity management and the drain from werebeaver is massive for no reason.  The mechanics only exist to compensate for each other and ultimately it's a waste.

Werebeaver was given inexplicably terrible combat stats and the gain on gnawing causes a lot of pointless shifts from human to werebeaver to human as you continue to chop trees.

There's a reason that woodie is one of the least popular characters to play as, and it's because he's awkward mechanically, not because he's weak.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Pig    11
1 minute ago, Toros said:

 

There's a reason that woodie is one of the least popular characters to play as, and it's because he's awkward mechanically, not because he's weak.

I can agree with you there that Woodie in comparison to other characters can be a bit awkward and with his entire werebeaver form almost has his own separate learning curve for controlling it which you could say is similar to how Webber also has his own learning curve however Woodie's is more focused on one mechanic which makes it a bit less drastic. Though in all honesty I personally don't find Woodie clunky or awkward when I play him (though my friends say they do) I guess it's just something that can be hard to get accustomed to for players that don't specifically play Woodie and I can't entirely get that cause most of my time has been spent playing him. Which I guess can explain why he's generally not picked as because most players of this game are casual and don't want to take the time to learn one character's mechanics when they could easily be having more fun with a character they're used to. Either way balance and tuning is a problem I doubt will ever be solved with the DST Roster but it doesn't make the game any less fun because in reality every character has they're useful points... Though Willow might need some minor adjustments. Wes on the other hand probably falls into his own category the name of which depends on the person.

Anyway as you can probably tell by now I tend to ramble but that's my take on all of this! Have fun out there and Don't Starve or anything when I'm not looking! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,320
46 minutes ago, Mr Pig said:

Though Willow might need some minor adjustments. Wes on the other hand probably falls into his own category the name of which depends on the person.

Well everyone agrees on Willow needs something. And Wes's catagory is "better than Willow" :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now