Sign in to follow this  
Jatrick

AI being really dumb? Help!

Recommended Posts

Jatrick    168

My workers will not (unless it's food) sweep anything! They will idle if it is the only available job too! Also, sometimes, my people will do the lowest priority things first! Even when on a red alert, they continue to do basic things and don't try and save my dying people from monsters??? I am going to cheat to save my people because the AI can't work correctly. If there is a debug mode/console, please tell me. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whispershade    84

They will only sweep if there is storage for them to sweep into. Make sure you have storage containers with the right filters available.

The three reasons a dupe will perform a lower priority job over a higher one are: 1) They cannot reach the higher priority task. 2) Another dupe is in transit to perform the specific task. 3) the dupe is not assigned that job in the jobs menu.

1 and 3 are things you have to be mindful of on your own. 2 will be changing in the next update (hopefully) in that a dupe will poach a job if they are closer.

Stop attacking the indigenous life. They are non-hostile and helpful. Go into jobs and turn off combat for all your dupes and they will stop getting into fights.

The hatches eat raw materials and excrete coal for coal generators.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WishIHadAFridge    1,133

In addition to what has been said before, the priority system is reverse of what most games do. 9 is the highest, 1 the lowest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kryst415987    1
17 hours ago, Jatrick said:

My workers will not (unless it's food) sweep anything! They will idle if it is the only available job too! Also, sometimes, my people will do the lowest priority things first! Even when on a red alert, they continue to do basic things and don't try and save my dying people from monsters??? I am going to cheat to save my people because the AI can't work correctly. If there is a debug mode/console, please tell me. Thanks.

I usually have my storage compactors and food storage set to a priority 7 they seem to sweep and collect harvested food without problem and make sure you have plenty of storage space and check that the materials you are collecting are kept in your storage compactors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jatrick    168
18 hours ago, Whispershade said:

They will only sweep if there is storage for them to sweep into. Make sure you have storage containers with the right filters available.

The three reasons a dupe will perform a lower priority job over a higher one are: 1) They cannot reach the higher priority task. 2) Another dupe is in transit to perform the specific task. 3) the dupe is not assigned that job in the jobs menu.

1 and 3 are things you have to be mindful of on your own. 2 will be changing in the next update (hopefully) in that a dupe will poach a job if they are closer.

Stop attacking the indigenous life. They are non-hostile and helpful. Go into jobs and turn off combat for all your dupes and they will stop getting into fights.

The hatches eat raw materials and excrete coal for coal generators.

 

1

I have enough storage and it is set to all, does it need to be sweep only?

I think #2 is my problem right now.

About the monsters, I am fairly sure, or it sure looked like, they were eating seeds for crops that weren't swept or planted. Food shortage is always a problem for me even if a rush to get a farm going quickly and cook it with a chef, I still have low food at all times. (I don't usually take more duplicants because of this, I only have 4)

 

@WishIHadAFridge I got that down, I have never played other games like this (base building and management) before so it seemed like the norm for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whispershade    84

Storage compactors with the sweep only option check will only accept resources that have been marked by sweep by you with the sweep tool. But Storage compactors without the sweep mark checked will accept any resource that fits their filters. I like to put a few storage compactors someplace out of reach of the hatches with a highish priority for the various seeds to get them picked up quickly. A compactor that receives sleet wheat seeds needs to be either in a cold or sterile(CO2 for example) room or the seeds will rot.

Sweeping can take a lot of time if you have a lot of stuff lying around or if you have a lot of competing priorities.

Also, be careful not to just check all things for your storage compactors, there are a couple things on the list you don't want them just toting around through your base.  Slime, bleachstone and liquifiables like ice and polluted ice can be a major headache. Polluted ice in particular likes to melt in transit and deposit polluted water all over your base and if the dupes are carrying it over a clean water reserve it becomes a major hassle.

The hatches will eat things lying around, yes.  It is important to try to pick up around them and herd them to a safe location, if possible.  But they are VERY worth keeping around and feeding things you want to dispose of like sedimentary rock. They'll convert it all to coal which can be very handy. If they are over dirt, they'll sleep during the day and you can pen them in with pneumatic doors.

Also, my girlfriend thinks they're super cute and will be mad if I recommend hurting them. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jatrick    168
23 hours ago, Whispershade said:

Sweeping can take a lot of time if you have a lot of stuff lying around or if you have a lot of competing priorities.

 

I don't think you understand the problem... my duplicants will never sweep anything, and I have tried everything. Storages on sweep only, storages on all, having the only other job available be to sweep, they just won't do it. They will idle or do another job needed. I tried setting sweeping to priority nine, and it still didn't work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whispershade    84
12 minutes ago, Jatrick said:

I don't think you understand the problem... my duplicants will never sweep anything, and I have tried everything. Storages on sweep only, storages on all, having the only other job available be to sweep, they just won't do it. They will idle or do another job needed. I tried setting sweeping to priority nine, and it still didn't work. 

If you're sure they have the sweep job checked and have the sweep task set to a high priority, then I can only imagine that the storage compactors don't have their filters setup or they are currently unreachable.

The only two things I can recommend beyond going over your settings again and making sure they have a clear path is taking a screenshot and/or posting a saved game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jatrick    168
2 hours ago, Whispershade said:

If you're sure they have the sweep job checked and have the sweep task set to a high priority, then I can only imagine that the storage compactors don't have their filters setup or they are currently unreachable.

The only two things I can recommend beyond going over your settings again and making sure they have a clear path is taking a screenshot and/or posting a saved game.

I made a new game and sweeping happened without me having to select things to sweep. I don't really know why this worked but it did. I will post again if the same thing happens another time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeeHam    2
11 hours ago, Jatrick said:

sweeping happened without me having to select things to sweep.

This can be done by simply constructing a compactor and tick the material u want to store in it, then the dupes will do the work automatically according to the priorities.
like tick polluted dirt on compactor and set prior 9, dupes will lick all the dirts on sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SackMaggie    6

And there is a debug mode

Spoiler

create a empty text file named " debug_enable.txt " in your OxygenNotIncluded_Data floder

location is depends where your games installed but mine is
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\
Screenshot (35).png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this