Base design and griefers

Ugly base = higher griefing possibility? what do you think?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Ugly base = higher griefing probability?

• yes
    • no

Me and another player, along with a second group of 2. Both rotating times playing.. had a Public Klei server on PS4 go for almost 200-210 days without a single griefer, not even attempted..

Now that could be for a variety of reasons..

1. Base was far from portal.. A lot of people died in beginning (around the portal had dozens of skeleton graveyards) that may have weeded out the trolls.

2. Anytime someone asked where base was we always made a attempt to go pick them up, we eventually made tons of signs pointing the direction. By being nice maybe that prevented them?

3. Because our base was legit awesome set up. Could support 2 or 3 noob freeloaders who did nothing but stand inside of base. Easy access to food, sanity, and fuel. Had around 50-70 fireflies for light. Had a cave base with a similar set up... All this combined meant maybe the trolls who did make to the base had no reason to burn it down if they were able to easily survive?

From all my experience in trolls on PC and PS4, even a troll myself sometimes. They fall mostly under 2 categories.

1. They aren't very good at the game and will die usually before Winter starts. These players most likely only get enjoyment out of the game by trolling others.

2. At some point you made a comment or something that made them mad or took too long reviving them, tried to vote kick them, etc.

Trolls like myself who are very expierenced with the game, do it very rarely because for us theirs no reason to troll other than for reactions. For me personally I never burn/break objects. My trolling is more sophisticated and time consuming, even on worlds I host.. I like to take stacks of items, split them down in 1s then leave them littered across base to appear messy. Plant a hundred pine cone trees inside base between all the structures. I like to lure mobs you'd normally never see around a base to it (Rook, Bunnymen, etc). Put signs up pointing to a base, that leads in a giant circle or leads them on a very confusing maze. Speaking of maze, I even built a stone wall maze as a troll one for my personal world filled with tentacles lol. 

Maybe... Let's compare it to the common graffiti artist, also known as graffos or something.
If there's some trashy tag on a railway bridge, it's going to get sprayed over sooner or later. But if there's one of those masterpieces that take up a whole wall of an abandoned wheat silo, that's so realistic and intricately detailed you can't even tell it's spraypaint, pretty much no-one will tag over that, except for the occasional nong or whatever.
It's the same with bases IMO. If it's some random camp with a science machine, firepit, and a backpack on the ground, that will probably get griefed or destroyed for resources reasonably quickly. If a griefer comes across a gigantic Glermz-style base that takes up the whole map, the griefer might stop their nasty habits, stroll around for a bit and take in the beauty.
Well, if the griefer comes across a base like that, they might destroy it because people put so much effort into it. That's how the mind of a griefer works, right? And I'm pretty sure that if you were building a megabase, you wouldn't do it in a public server, but whatever.
Ladies and gentlemen, that's your analogy of the day!

Mmm.. not so sure about that (aka "beautiful/organized base is less prone to griefing"). Saw a lot of troll insanity applied to all kind of bases, neaty and messy alike. For example - exhibit A:

griefed_spawn_midi_base

This nicely burned mischief is my and a friend's spawn base intended exclusively at helping newcomers on a random dedicated survival server (that survived, miraculously, for 325 in-game days). Print screen is actually the 4th time said mini base got trashed (fire, hammering, spider egg in gate, name your pick). The 2 skeletons there, as an irony for heavens and karma, were the griefers doing the deed at that time (wild Webber placed nest in gate and died by darkness, wild Willow burned base and hammered farms - there were farms all around in flingo's range - and died by fire). As one can see that's not the most ugly-looking base and also had rare skin-models for chests, pots, first 2 times even the bird cage; bonus: we even placed a Scaled Furnace (is behind gate, after lightning rod). And yet... juicy madness! (funny bird got away in this case, usually is first thing that goes, neck-snapped first).

6 hours ago, Mafiabrett said:

Me and another player, along with a second group of 2. Both rotating times playing.. had a Public Klei server on PS4 go for almost 200-210 days without a single griefer, not even attempted..

Now that could be for a variety of reasons..

1. Base was far from portal.. A lot of people died in beginning (around the portal had dozens of skeleton graveyards) that may have weeded out the trolls.

2. Anytime someone asked where base was we always made a attempt to go pick them up, we eventually made tons of signs pointing the direction. By being nice maybe that prevented them?

3. Because our base was legit awesome set up. Could support 2 or 3 noob freeloaders who did nothing but stand inside of base. Easy access to food, sanity, and fuel. Had around 50-70 fireflies for light. Had a cave base with a similar set up... All this combined meant maybe the trolls who did make to the base had no reason to burn it down if they were able to easily survive?

From all my experience in trolls on PC and PS4, even a troll myself sometimes. They fall mostly under 2 categories.

1. They aren't very good at the game and will die usually before Winter starts. These players most likely only get enjoyment out of the game by trolling others.

2. At some point you made a comment or something that made them mad or took too long reviving them, tried to vote kick them, etc.

Trolls like myself who are very expierenced with the game, do it very rarely because for us theirs no reason to troll other than for reactions. For me personally I never burn/break objects. My trolling is more sophisticated and time consuming, even on worlds I host.. I like to take stacks of items, split them down in 1s then leave them littered across base to appear messy. Plant a hundred pine cone trees inside base between all the structures. I like to lure mobs you'd normally never see around a base to it (Rook, Bunnymen, etc). Put signs up pointing to a base, that leads in a giant circle or leads them on a very confusing maze. Speaking of maze, I even built a stone wall maze as a troll one for my personal world filled with tentacles lol. 

latest?cb=20140315164222  Trolls don't care about you being nice.  Thing is, most trolls aren't good at the game at all.  Like you said, they don't care about learning how to survive or even lasting.  They only care about burning down a base, annoying people for a bit, and then leaving.

13 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Trolls don't care about you being nice.

That's not true generally. I just had a griefer who joined and proudly presented, that he had burnt the base in his previous game, because the players there were stupid, non-caring etc, and they gave him a reason to do that. After he died, someone took his golden tools, didn't give them back and shortly after left. He got totally upset on that, doesn't matter that we had plenty of materials to craft all his stuff again, because "If I burn down the base, you say I'm a griefer, but if someone lets me die and steals from me, that's ok for you?" So this way we "gave him a reason" and burnt down the base.

It's a pity that that server was unmoderated and without voting, but we could rebild the base.

14 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Are you serious right now?  Trolls don't care about beauty and organization.  They are the OPPOSITE of that.  Trolls want destruction and disorder. That's why they burn bases down and mess things up.

For this order I'll make counter arguments and opinions related to the colored text in both yours and mine.

Note: Don't read it with a harsh tone but rather a tone where a person questions and explains.

• These seemingly players can be agree upon as they don't care about a base's beauty and organization but some of these players can perceive a base's beauty and organization. It's about the decision of theirs only and this decision is only subjective.
  •  At first glance, these players do want destruction and disorder but going deep through, why would they do that? Your answer can be only a part of why but there are numerous reasons not just for mere satisfaction.

14 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Trolls don't care about you being nice.  Thing is, most trolls aren't good at the game at all.  Like you said, they don't care about learning how to survive or even lasting.  They only care about burning down a base, annoying people for a bit, and then leaving.

• This I can't agree because there are players even with that kind of reputation they can be collectively be nice whether their feelings are true or just an illusion for their scheme.
  • There are probabilities of players that matters on surviving and befriending players before they make up their elaborate scheme. Not all players are destructive but some are manipulative.

For the main topic, the neatness of one's base design and even its creative design can affect a man's decision to do or not to do this kind of action. But it all comes to the opinions, knowledge and state of the person which will be the outcome of the decision. 

The longest running games ive played at were in strictly unprofessional endless public servers, which are rarely reset and usually last 5k days or more.

In this setting, bases are created and destroyed constsntly, sometimes due to pillage, sometimes because of mistakes and bad luck, and sometimes because of griefing. Under these circumstances Ive seen gorgeous bases coming from the common effort of dozens of players being destroyed just "because" by a single willow, at some time when no admins were around.

The only bases that usually survived through the ages unmodified, or even improve over time, where those hidden in really far away and hard to access places, such as ruins megabases. Ive also survived reliably hundreds of days in borrowed tiny ugly bases in dark remote cave areas. 

TL;DR: I think the only thing that prevents griefing on a base, regardless of size, prettiness or order, is how hard it is to find for a griefer. Griefers are usually not so good exploring or surviving for long.

10 hours ago, fimmatek said:

That's not true generally. I just had a griefer who joined and proudly presented, that he had burnt the base in his previous game, because the players there were stupid, non-caring etc, and they gave him a reason to do that. After he died, someone took his golden tools, didn't give them back and shortly after left. He got totally upset on that, doesn't matter that we had plenty of materials to craft all his stuff again, because "If I burn down the base, you say I'm a griefer, but if someone lets me die and steals from me, that's ok for you?" So this way we "gave him a reason" and burnt down the base.

It's a pity that that server was unmoderated and without voting, but we could rebild the base.

That seems like revenge if anything.  A troll just does things to get a reaction and annoy people.  A person wanting revenge does things in reaction to what you did.

9 hours ago, Aeschwutz said:

For this order I'll make counter arguments and opinions related to the colored text in both yours and mine.

Note: Don't read it with a harsh tone but rather a tone where a person questions and explains.

• These seemingly players can be agree upon as they don't care about a base's beauty and organization but some of these players can perceive a base's beauty and organization. It's about the decision of theirs only and this decision is only subjective.
  •  At first glance, these players do want destruction and disorder but going deep through, why would they do that? Your answer can be only a part of why but there are numerous reasons not just for mere satisfaction.

• This I can't agree because there are players even with that kind of reputation they can be collectively be nice whether their feelings are true or just an illusion for their scheme.
  • There are probabilities of players that matters on surviving and befriending players before they make up their elaborate scheme. Not all players are destructive but some are manipulative.

For the main topic, the neatness of one's base design and even its creative design can affect a man's decision to do or not to do this kind of action. But it all comes to the opinions, knowledge and state of the person which will be the outcome of the decision. 

I can't believe I'm in a debate about why trolls do things.  I thought it would be obvious in 2017, but whatever.  

Thing is, I don't count revenge as trolling.  If someone treats them bad or isn't welcoming and they burn the base down in retaliation, that isn't trolling, that is someone seeking revenge.  They are seeking revenge for a petty reason, but they are seeking it.  For me, trolling is coming in with the intent to annoy people.  

If they come in with the intent to troll, then it's most likely just an illusion for their scheme.  

Having a change of heart does not mean you're not a troll.  They still came in with the intent to annoy the person.  Now if they form a real connection in the middle of their scheme, then good on the victim because they aren't getting their base destroyed.  Though that does not mean trolls in general aren't destructive.  They come in to destroy the base, part of annoying the person, and use manipulation as a means to gain trust.

8 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

I can't believe I'm in a debate about why trolls do things.  I thought it would be obvious in 2017, but whatever.

You asked a question and people are giving you their answers if you didn't want anybody's answer but your own don't ask a question 

Also it seems that you think trolls are not people there is some lower life forms of people and there are two dimensional they don't have complex feelings and emotions like normal people do or that just because someone is trolling or being a troll they aren't  generally a nice person 

that's kind of close minded and stupid don't you think ?

46 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

You asked a question and people are giving you their answers if you didn't want anybody's answer but your own don't ask a question 

Also it seems that you think trolls are not people there is some lower life forms of people and there are two dimensional they don't have complex feelings and emotions like normal people do or that just because someone is trolling or being a troll they aren't  generally a nice person 

that's kind of close minded and stupid don't you think ?

stephen-a-smith-doesnt-believe-you-face.  

I didn't ask a question (well I did technically, but it was rhetorical), I replied to the original comment like everyone else.  Then I replied to people quoting me.

I didn't say they didn't have feelings.  I even said that even if they do have a change of heart, it doesn't mean they aren't trolls (implying that they can change their mind and they are complex).  At the same time, I said that their niceness coming in is an illusion for their trolling scheme.  If you come in someone's base with an intent to annoy and destroy, then you're a troll.  That doesn't mean you aren't a complex person, but I'm calling you what you are.

I guess you can be a nice person outside of the game.  Though if you do things to annoy someone or make them angry on purpose, then you can't be all that nice.  Especially if you add the layer of manipulating them and gaining their trust, only for you to destroy something they worked on.

It has come to this.  I'm closed minded and stupid for calling people a troll and saying they don't care about how beautiful a base is if they destroy it.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:57 AM, Arash70 said:

I realized, the more beautiful I build the base, less likely it is going to burn by some griefer :)

Do you agree with this sentence?

Ugly base = higher griefing possibility? what do you think?

Actually no griefers like ruining nice big bases. If you're base is crappy then they will feel bad for you & not waste their time burning low appealing bases. Portal bases will always be burnt though.

Portal bases are always prone to burning, smashing and/or straight chests rummaging because that's the first thing they gets to see when they spawn. Finding your base in the middle of nowhere that is very far away from portal takes time and some people just don't want to waste their time finding your base. Want a quick smash and burn then leave.

A huge base, and by huge I mean an elaborated one with specific areas and various tasks, means that the people that made invested a lot of effort and resources into gathering the required materials and then actually building it, so I bet they find more enjoyment into burning / smashing said base than one fire pit, 1-2 crock pots next to an ice box and an alchemy.

Either way one thing still eludes me, maybe someone can shed some light on this: where's the fun in burning and/or smashing? I would rather find a friendly server and enjoy the company of the people playing there rather than jump on a server and burn then switch and so on. Sooner or later with people sharing information about who's naughty and nice these days it's a matter of time until everyone has updated his own blacklist.

Archived